Diabetes Supplies

brian9549

Hello!

I am diabetic and on an insulin pump. Does anyone know if I have to do anything special to bring my insulin, syringes, and insulin pump supplies on the boat?

My wife and I are on the Alaska Pearl cruise on 9/7.

I have a letter from my doctor but I don't know if I need anything more.

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian,

I am an insulin dependent diabetic as well, never have a problem with syringes, needles and the like. I doubt you'd have a problem with the pump either, except when passing through a metal detector. Since you have a note from your doctor I'm sure you won't have a problem.

You'll of course need a refrigerator for you insulin. Be advised that NCL's website does NOT contain accurate info about refrigerators in cabins, and calls to Miami may also yield incorrect info. I was on the Dream in July and despite the fact that NCL.com showed a refrigerator in my room, my TA requested one via FAX indicating it was medically required, AND I made two calls to Miami to confirm that I would have one - there was none, and they didn't want to give me one when I discovered this! For additional details see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15419640&postcount=23

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. If you need to fly as part of your itinerary you might check airport security requirements. Shortly after 9/11 it was difficult to travel with insulin, but I haven't had a problem since then.

Hi Brian,

I am an insulin dependent diabetic as well, never have a problem with syringes, needles and the like. I doubt you'd have a problem with the pump either, except when passing through a metal detector. Since you have a note from your doctor I'm sure you won't have a problem.

You'll of course need a refrigerator for you insulin. Be advised that NCL's website does NOT contain accurate info about refrigerators in cabins, and calls to Miami may also yield incorrect info. I was on the Dream in July and despite the fact that NCL.com showed a refrigerator in my room, my TA requested one via FAX indicating it was medically required, AND I made two calls to Miami to confirm that I would have one - there was none, and they didn't want to give me one when I discovered this! For additional details see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15419640&postcount=23

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. If you need to fly as part of your itinerary you might check airport security requirements. Shortly after 9/11 it was difficult to travel with insulin, but I haven't had a problem since then.

My wife has an insulin pump and when we just traveled to Fla. a few months ago everything was allowed on the airlines to include certain amout of dirty needles. When we came to a check-point screener we just told them that she was wearing a pump and they asked her to step directly through the machine. Nothing alerted and we were on our way.

We will be traveling to NY and boarding the Dawn in a few weeks. We will certainly do the same there. You will not have any trouble what so ever. As per the refrigerator, remember when all else fails make sure that you pack extra strong zip-lock bags. There's always an ice bucket you could use if there is no refrigerator. Just make sure you make the person who is assigned to clean your room aware not to throw out the contents in the bucket. Hope this helps!

Have a great trip!

When you get on board make sure you ask your room steward for a Sharps container and they'll bring you a small red disposable with no problem! Also, on the ice bucket I didn't have a problem when they knew what I was doing they were very accomodating. Mine was not insulin, but still the same type accomodations were not a problem, my needs were understood and facilitated immediately!

Archived