cash or credit?

keenie803

if you put cash down instead of a credit card on the sign and sail...how much do they want you to put down for the deposit?

From their website:

For your convenience, charges for most of your onboard purchases will be posted to your Sail & Sign® account. A required application form will be included with your documents. Registration for this program will occur at the time of embarkation. Carnival accepts American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network Card, Diner's Club, Optima Card and cash for deposit on your account. A deposit (ranging from $100 to $350 depending on cruise duration) will be required for cash accounts. Third-party credit cards, Travel Funds Cards, Credit Card Gift Cards and Mini Credit Cards are not accepted on board.

Here's the link to further information on their site:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_sail_and_sign_boardingcard.aspx

I just got off the Elation Thur. Aug. 28. I chose the cash sail and sign instead of credit cards. They automatically deducted 10.00 per person per day for gratuities. My family had 4 so 200.00 was taken right off the top. So be aware of that. After that point I was allowed to add more cash to my account at any time. You post your money through the Purser's desk (information). I believe they are open 24 hours a day. The cash posts immediately. There was no delay on our cards. This is a great option to credit card interest fees.:D I cashed out my account late the last night. It was fast and easy. I hope this info helps. Happy sailing!!

We always use American Express. Three reasons, points, no interest and no need to carry large amounts of cash. Most cards won't charge any interest if paid off within 30 days. So that is like cash without carrying it.

we dont have credit cards...we did but we were young and dumb and they got us in trouble...we got them paid off and now that we have extra money thats how we are going on a cruise. :p we have a debit card but I just dont feel safe using that. so cash really is our only option..Im glad to know the tips come right off the depost amount. and also that they let you know when you are getting low...seems like you can track your spending much better that way.

DW and I always use cash instead of credit because the hold they place on the card, limits my use of the card. Here's how we figured it out on our cruise aboard the Legend last September:

Tips ($10.00 per pay per person) = $140.00

Coffee (2 Latte's a day @ $3.50) = $49.00

Drinks (I take wine and champagne so use little of the bar) = $50.00

Pictures (Always swear to spend less but usually spend more) = $100.00

Drink card (Soft drinks - We bring a 12 pack but always need more) = $25.00

Miscellaneous (flowers, cards, medicine and souvenirs, extra pictures) = $100.00

Total = $464 (round to $500)

This does not include any excursions we take so we add money when we decide what to do. Our total for the Legend was just under $700 including excursions.

Using cash also keeps us from spending more than we expect to. I check the balance every evening and replenish is need be. We met one couple on the Liberty that used their credit card and paid no attention to what they spent. When the got their bill at the end, they had put over $3,000 on their card and paniced on how they would pay the card down. If you do use a card and have more than 1 or 2 charging against it, my suggestion would be to put a limit on the account and only you could authorize an increase.

We always take "Thank You" cards and use them for our steward, the coffee bar hostess and anyone else we get GREAT service from. My secret is to ask the steward when we first arrive for something extra; more ice, extra towel, anything. Then I leave a $20 with a note of thanks and you'd be surprise how much they do for us after that. We always get the best service and the friendliest crew taking care of us. A little "Thanks" goes a looooong way!

Using cash also keeps us from spending more than we expect to. I check the balance every evening and replenish is need be. We met one couple on the Liberty that used their credit card and paid no attention to what they spent. When the got their bill at the end, they had put over $3,000 on their card and paniced on how they would pay the card down. If you do use a card and have more than 1 or 2 charging against it, my suggestion would be to put a limit on the account and only you could authorize an increase.

If you can check balances on your S&S card to replenish as needed with cash, couldn't you check balances daily to see what purchases you have made and still be able to keep track of what you have spent? :confused:

We have always used our debit card and had no problem. We have also used a credit card once. There was only a small hold placed on our debit card..I think like $150 or something like that.

I do call my bank and make sure they increase trhe limit on my debit card and let them know that I will be using it out of the country. I had to call and raise the limit because Bank of America has a max limit per day that can be placed on the card...eventhough you have funds to cover it. I think some sort of fraud protection??..

Have never used cash.I don't want to stand in line at the pursers desk top "reload" money on the S & S card. Sometimes the line is very long and slow at the pursers desk.

Carla

I have a pre-paid debit card that I use for my traveling. I also do have a credit card - never believed in credit - only my house and car. I figure out aprox what I am going to using and that I what I put on my card. I can add to my card.

We always use cash. You can start using your Sail and Sign card as soon as you board, even before you deposit money on your account. They just tell you to be sure and stop by and do it the first evening. On our last cruise they set up a table right inside the doors of the theater just for people making deposits to there account. No one was in line when I stopped by. It was very quick and easy.

You can also go over your amount during the cruise. They don't stop you from making a purchase, they just send you a note letting you know you need to deposit more money.

If you can check balances on your S&S card to replenish as needed with cash, couldn't you check balances daily to see what purchases you have made and still be able to keep track of what you have spent? :confused:

Yes. You can check anytime whether using cash or credit. Our experience on the Liberty was when the balance got low, they suggested adding more cash. When the balance exceeded the deposit, NO charges were allowed until more cash was added.

If using a "debit" card, it MUST have the Mastercard or Visa logo on it. A regular "debit" card can NOT be used but it can be used in the ATM.

We are always at the port early and have been in one of the first groups to get on board. If the line has not formed at that time, we stop by the Pursers desk and leave the deposit then. The Pursers office is open 24\7 and there will be plenty of times when there is no line to make your deposit.

I like knowing when we get off the ship, the trip is paid for and I don't have to worry about paying anything off. Nothing worse than having a great time only to fret on the way home about how much money we spent. All we have to think about is the good times we had and what ship we will be on next.

Archived