Carry On - Luggage Type

maggie0104

I was wondering what type of bags most of you use for carry on. Especially for those who check in early, before the staterooms are ready.

I noticed many people bring soda/water in their carry on, which we might do as well. In this case i think a wheeled bag would be appropriate, but if the room is not ready, what do I do with the bag? Do I keep it with me during lunch and while walking around the boat? Seems a little...

Thanks for any advice you can give.

In the past, it's sometimes been sort of a pain for us to tote around our carryon until the cabin is ready----BUTTTTTTT

I've noticed several recent reviews for the Dawn :D which state they have been able to check their carryon bags in one of the lounges designated for that, and then come back for them when the rooms are ready. To me-IDEAL!

sometimes they will let you drop it off in your cabin...sometimes they will have the hallways blocked. it's best to not carry-on too much. some people put the soda's in the checked luggage. you do not want to carry-on too much or have too large luggage..you will need to keep it with your until they let you to the cabin.

if you don't want to carry around a lot, check the sodas and just keep a carry-on with your personal stuff (meds, jewelry, electronics and a day's worth of clothes)

usually we just find somewhere comfortable for the DH to sit, he makes his last minute phone calls while i wander. i return to find him using the carry-ons as a foot rest and him asleep...vacation has started.

We seldom check a bag. We just carry all luggage on with us, except last winter we did check two bags on the QM2. They lost one out of two bags!

It was awful.

They insisted that we must have left it someplace other than checking it with the ship!They finally let me into the lost luggage room! A room full of lost bags! If I had listened to them and their policy of getting bags to their passengers, it would have taken three days! Others bags were delivered three days later!

sometimes they will let you drop it off in your cabin...sometimes they will have the hallways blocked. it's best to not carry-on too much. some people put the soda's in the checked luggage. you do not want to carry-on too much or have too large luggage..you will need to keep it with your until they let you to the cabin.

if you don't want to carry around a lot, check the sodas and just keep a carry-on with your personal stuff (meds, jewelry, electronics and a day's worth of clothes)

usually we just find somewhere comfortable for the DH to sit, he makes his last minute phone calls while i wander. i return to find him using the carry-ons as a foot rest and him asleep...vacation has started.

Cathi, I had to chuckle at your description of your husband. Life can be simple, can't it, when you know how to enjoy it. I have a feeling you all are retired. Cathie

Being our first cruise, we were VERY anxious to check out our room. We were group #3 getting on the ship, but was about 11:30am We walked right to our room and stuck our bags under the bed and asked our steward if that was ok. He said that is perfectly fine....hubby just carried his laptop with him since the rooms were not being locked while they were being made up.

I was wondering what type of bags most of you use for carry on. Especially for those who check in early, before the staterooms are ready.

If traveling with checked luggage, I would carry on a small backpack. If traveling without checked luggage, it would be a larger backpack. :-)

I use a medium sized daypack. I can put it on my back while dragging wheeled luggage around, and it keeps my hands free when we buy goodies on shore. Sometimes I use the built in hydration bladder when out and about, sometimes just put a water bottle or two in the mesh side pockets...

Archived