Price of Cigarettes - Canada

I'll be cruising from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale, stopping in Quebec, Sydney, Halifax, PEI, and Bar Harbor.

Right now, in Massachusetts, a carton of cigarettes costs between $78 and $83 american. My question is whether I should bring a couple of cartons with me, or buy them when I'm in Montreal? How expensive is a carton in Canada? Are there special cigarette shops, or can I just buy them in a regular store?

I don't think there's a duty free shop in the terminal I'm flying out of, so that's out.

Any help would be appreciated!

The figure you quoted is about what you will have to pay per carton in Canada but the price varies from province to province. Canadian cigarettes are readily and widely available but if you are partial to a particular American brand, you should bring your own. Canadian Customs will allow each adult in your party one carton without charging any duty.

Thanks, Tom and Jane. Already did that and the duty free shop doesn't carry either brand.:( Guess that's what I get for being so picky! TJM - if I can find the cigarettes duty free in the airport, will Canadian customs let me bring in more than one carton?

No -- You are allowed to bring ONE carton of cigarettes per person into Canada no matter where you purchased them. Cigarettes are heavily taxed in Canada, as is alcohol. Usually, these items are much cheaper in the United States. More importantly, American cigarettes are not readily available in Canadian stores. Our cigarettes taste quite different. If you have a favorite brand, bring it with you. Usually, but not always, the duty free shop in the airport or at the border crossing, will have your cigarettes. Certainly purchase them there for a better price.

You can buy American cigs here but they normally charge a premium of them.

The big consideration for you should be that if you have a favourite brand then you will probably not like the taste of Canadian cigs....they are completely different. American cigs are made with a tabacco blend and an extra shot of saltpetre ....Canadian cigs are made with 100% Virginia tobacco with much less saltpetre.

I quit three years ago and one of the things that helped me was a long cruise where I could not buy Canadian cigs and the American ones....even the same brand.... were just nasty tasting to me!

I am a reformed smoker of some 35 years but here is a link to what you may bring into Canada; you can bring more but the excess will be subject to duty and taxes. Basically you can bring in 200 cigarettes duty free. Can you bring in an extra pack or two in your jacket or purse; well you are not supposed to but you probably wont have a problem particularly if they are open.

They don't usually stock very much in American brands in Montreal. You'll have an easier time buying Cuban cigars than anything but the biggest brand names in Montreal. You might find Marlboro, Winston and Camel, but I doubt you will find anything menthol at all.

Also, you won't find cigarettes available at pharmacies (it's against the pharmacist's code of ethics to sell cigarettes in Quebec). And you won't find cigarettes openly displayed on the shelves, they are sold behind black cases with no advertising allowed.

Cigarettes are HIGHLY taxed in Canada (and in Quebec) and there are full price and discount brands out there. Just the taxes on a carton in Quebec add up to $39.48. And that's on Canadian domestic cigarettes. (From what I gather online, the packet is CAD$8.78 on average in Quebec). I shudder to think what the taxes on imported cigarettes are.

Thanks all for the info. So, one carton it is, brought from home. Guess I'll have to try to replenish my supply in Bar Harbor, as, after that, it's sea days til we disembark. So looking forward to this cruise, and looking forward to all the great stops in Canada!

Thanks again for the quick responses...

Archived