Just back from Mariner 8/24-31...Any questions?

maria1234

* Is the Seattle's Best coffee at the Cafe Promenade free? What about lattes or chai tea?

* Did you do any specialty restaurants and if so, was it worth it?

* Did you learn any tricks onboard that you wish you'd known before getting on the Mariner?

* What surprised you about the Mariner?

* Were the kids-only pool areas truly kid-free?

* What replaced the midnight buffet?

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

How was your weather while you were out on Mariner, with all the storms around? Was it smooth sailing? We're leaving on Mariner in about 2 weeks and there seem to be storms all over the place right now...we're just hoping they are through by the time we sail. I've been hearing that RCCL has had to change routes a couple times with the Mariner...that probably wouldn't bother me a bit...life just doesn't get any better than when you are on board a ship...storm or no storm! :)

I'm anxiously awaiting your review!

* Is the Seattle's Best coffee at the Cafe Promenade free? What about lattes or chai tea?

No-there was a charge

* Did you do any specialty restaurants and if so, was it worth it?

Chops! Well worth it

* Did you learn any tricks onboard that you wish you'd known before getting on the Mariner? not really. I was pretty prepared:p

* What surprised you about the Mariner?

The size! Wow. Words cant describe her! Been on other cruiselines andMajesty, too. They seemed like dingys next to her!

* Were the kids-only pool areas truly kid-free?

the adults only area on the ship, in my opinion was the ONLY kid-free area.

* What replaced the midnight buffet?

I think that there was a midnight buffet set up one night near pools:confused: . I think that was the night was were all wiped out in bed by 1030pm.

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

No prob!

How was your weather while you were out on Mariner, with all the storms around? Was it smooth sailing? We're leaving on Mariner in about 2 weeks and there seem to be storms all over the place right now...we're just hoping they are through by the time we sail. I've been hearing that RCCL has had to change routes a couple times with the Mariner...that probably wouldn't bother me a bit...life just doesn't get any better than when you are on board a ship...storm or no storm! :)

I'm anxiously awaiting your review!

Weather was great! you wouldnt know we were sailing not too far from a hurricane. I took my Bonine everyday and had no probs, whatsoever with waves. I pray these storms dont affect you. We were thrown when the captain came on and completely changed our itinirary. I thought we were in the clear:rolleyes: . Just prepare yourself that you might not make it to your destinations planned. There were people actually bit*hin at customer service about the change of ports:eek: . That beeing said, we had sunny skies 90% of the time

Did you have a scheduled meet & mingle and if so, did you receive invitations in your stateroom?

Yes, invites came to room. I couldnt make it-I had a migraine:( . I took my meds and slept thru till dinner, ate, went right back to bed.

>> Is the Seattle's Best coffee at the Cafe Promenade free? What about

>> lattes or chai tea?

> No-there was a charge

I've read elsewhere on CC that any coffee you pour yourself is free at CP. Evidently there are coffee dispensers in the rear of Cafe Promenade--and the OP didn't realize this until the end of the week.

And any coffee they pour for you costs money. That's too bad, because I'd heard *everything* was free at CP.

Mike

dh and I were also on that cruise... and we were amazed at how smooth the ride was, considering what we were seeing on the satellite on TV!

Loved it all, not a problem anywhere for us... happy about the change in itinerary (been western several times) although missed my scheduled swim with the dolphins in Cozumel (just another excuse to book another cruise, like I need an excuse :D - I think I just work to support my "addiction" )

Beautiful ship, great food, wonderful service, blue skies, clear water, great beaches - couldn't ask for anything more.

I could not agree with you more Maria. Between Fay prior to the trip, and sailing between Gustav and Hannah, I was amazed by the great weather and smooth ride.

There were indeed a lot of kids (2 were mine - they were good (promise). Actually, I because of the kids, I was expecting to be more disappointed with the itinerary change. Instead, I realized that we had to be less ambitous on the excursions and was very happy with St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

I can confirm that there was 1 midnight buffet at the pool. As buffets go, it was quite good, but I paid the price - should definitely not eat that late. (How can I keep justifying 5 meals a day????):D

There is just a horrible review about this cruise today on the main page. As always though, you learn after the first few sentences which reviews are legitimate and which are not. I didn't get the vibe that this person's review was fully factual.

Anyhow, before I get flames on that one,I am curious. I posted a review of my EOS trip and they said it would take about a month because summer months are so busy. My review hasn't been posted yet, but they posted this guy's review within a few days aftern the trip ended! Seems odd.

What is this alternate steak (mystery meat) I keep hearing about?

Does this mean if I want filet mignon, I can save $5-$10 by skipping a specialty restaurant ($20 at portofino's minus $15 = $5/pp savings; $25 at chops minus $15 = $10/pp savings).

The alternative steak is a sirloin steak. Not the highest quality meat. but DH enjoys it and typically gets it when he can't find something else he likes.

On the other hand, the steak from Chops is WONDERFUL!!! Juicy, thick etc. It's vacation, and I truely don't care if he spends $15 a night, each night on a steak. But I know he will not want to do that.

There is just a horrible review about this cruise today on the main page. As always though, you learn after the first few sentences which reviews are legitimate and which are not. I didn't get the vibe that this person's review was fully factual.

Anyhow, before I get flames on that one,I am curious. I posted a review of my EOS trip and they said it would take about a month because summer months are so busy. My review hasn't been posted yet, but they posted this guy's review within a few days aftern the trip ended! Seems odd.

Laurspag-

Are you speaking of my review that was posted today NOT being factual??? If so, why would you think that?It took only 3 days for mine to post, I just recieved email confirmation that it posted...

The alternative steak is a sirloin steak. Not the highest quality meat. but DH enjoys it and typically gets it when he can't find something else he likes.

On the other hand, the steak from Chops is WONDERFUL!!! Juicy, thick etc. It's vacation, and I truely don't care if he spends $15 a night, each night on a steak. But I know he will not want to do that.

Someone had the alt steak every night at one or both of our tables. I had it one night and I do believe it was sirloin . It was good. The one at chops, THE t -bone was awesome. Well worth 25 and no kiddies;) running around. Where was it posted that they are charging for steak now?????

Someone had the alt steak every night at one or both of our tables. I had it one night and I do believe it was sirloin . It was good. The one at chops, THE t -bone was awesome. Well worth 25 and no kiddies;) running around. Where was it posted that they are charging for steak now?????

I think it may be down the list a bit. It appears that is could possibly be a trial thing on Freedom (which seems to be the guinea pig of the fleet now) I am hoping that it will be like it has always been when we get there. I am not a picky eater, but DH is. I was happy that he liked cruising when we went for the first time. I hope things don't change!

I'll be on the Mariner in a few months so I've been following the reviews closely. After reading so many fabulous 5 star reviews, I've chosen to ignore this 1 star review.;)

Laurspag-

Are you speaking of my review that was posted today NOT being factual??? If so, why would you think that?It took only 3 days for mine to post, I just recieved email confirmation that it posted...

There is a review on the home page where the member reviews are, and someone gave it one star. He or she ripped RCI and that ship. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but some people just leave me with my mouth hanging open. For example, he thinks RCI purposely waited to change the intinerary, etc.

Like others here, I think you have to put a single bad review in the context of predominantly glowing reviews. I've learned long ago with online reviews that you have to read between the lines. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but some opinions have more weight than others.

Here are some "highlights" of the 1 star review:

> The people on the ship (mainly foreigners and Yankees)

> were rude and loud."

That speaks for itself, doesn't it? I don't like rude, loud people either, but guess what--on a ship of 3,000+, they'll be there. I'm sure the same could be, and is, said of people on Carnival cruises. My guess is that the number of rude, loud people you encounter is due in part to chance.

> Entertainment- second rate. The nightly shows were terrible. The ice

> show was the best show we saw the entire time. After the cruise we

> went to Disney Animal Kingdom and their shows blew Royal Caribbean out

> of the water.

Personally, I don't expect true Broadway or Disney Park quality entertainment on a cruise ship. Does anyone? It's unfair, in my opinion, to compare cruise ship entertainment to spectacular land-based entertainment. The reviewer mentions Animal Kingdom--a Disney Park--and could be thinking of the Lion King or Nemo show, both are which are generally recognized as being fabulous. I've been to AK several times but have never seen either show.

I *would* expect the entertainment to be better on a Disney cruise ship--Disney is know for that. But I wouldn't expect Carnival to have exceptionally better entertainment than RCL. Again, if the entertainment wasn't up to Broadway standards, it would not ruin my trip.

> Food-it was great. The staff was exceptional.

Ok, fab. But why give Dining a 1.0 rating?

> Cabins-not clean. Hairs were seen on our towels, the carpet was soggy

> feeling and I didn't want to take off my shoes the entire time. Hairs were

> on the sheets and inside the pillowcase.

Ok, gross, yes. But it was towels only? Ask for new towels. How typical is this? If it were me, I would have sought out someone in customer service first. Has anyone found RCL's customer service, in whatever form it might take, to be completely unresponsive while on-ship?

When I'm on the Mariner later this month, who should I go to if there's a problem with the cleanliness of the room? I'm no germ freak, but hairs everywhere in the bedding would gross me out. One or two occassional hairs? My guess is that's simply life in just about any "hotel" room. Ask for new linens. But if a cabin steward is totally unresponsive, who would I go to? Another thing--whenever I do have a complaint, I am firm but excessively polite. When I see people being abusive to staff of any kind, anywhere, I can only roll my eyes and wish the customers themselves would get a clue.

Don't know what to say about a "soggy feeling carpet." One wonders if all the carpeting feels this way, or there was a true problem with the carpet in that particular cabin. A thought experiment--would the reviewer approve of the carpet in *any* of the other cabins? We don't know.

> On the last day of the cruise, I developed BRONCHITIS and had to see

> the cruise doctor. It was $962 and I had a severe respiratory infection,

> had to take 4 breathing treatments and an IV full of drugs. I was in great

> health before the cruise. The cruise made me sick

Getting sick on a cruise sucks. No doubt about it. There's always a risk when you travel. Is this news to anyone here? Could be chance that the person got sick on this particular cruise. If he or she had gotten sick on a Disney or a Carnival cruise, we may never have heard about it. Or if the person got sick on a first-time Princess, Celebrity, or other luxury ship, this person may have also sworn off those lines forever. His/her choice, but not entirely rational.

> Cabins-NOISY. At 4:00AM-7:00AM plumbers in the hall used a pipe snake

> to clean plumbing for various rooms. It sounded like a loud generator. We

> complained to them, and others on the hallway came outside the rooms,

> but the noise did not stop.

Ok, that sucks. But was this *every* morning or simply *one* morning? If there's a maintenance problem, there's a maintenance problem. It has to be fixed. Maybe it had to be fixed then or the problem would be worse? I could imagine worse; an entire floor of overflowing cabin toilets. Thought experiment--would that alternative me more preferable to the reviewer? Also, one wonders, was the cabin at all noisy outside of the one 4am-7am incident? We don't know.

> Excursions-Hurricane GUSTAV diverted our cruise from the W. Caribbean

> to the US Virgin Islands. All of our excursions were refunded.

Sounds like RCL did what it had to do considering there was a hurricane, and the reviewer was cruising during Hurricane Season. Hello? Always a risk that the itinerary will change. Refunding the excursions is the proper thing to do.

I haven't been on the Mariner, but I give this review a Thumbs Down. It just doesn't seem to fit with the other several hundred predominantly positive reviews. Amazon.com has a "Helpful Review" function; e.g. X number of customers found this review helpful. Wish CruiseCritic.com had this capability.

Archived