Safety of the ship

Fubuc

Anyone heard anything about the safety of the Oasis? When building the largest cruise ship in the world, I'm sure they have put safety first. At one point I read that she will have the most advanced sprinkler system yet and that her stability will be greater than standard. Still there are some interesting things I'd like to know...

What if there was a fire in Central Park or Boardwalk. How do you close off an open area (when fire doors won't do)?

What about the embarkation deck (the open deck near the lifeboats)? It looks kind of small if you are to gather 5000 people there in an emergency.

Any news on the lifeboats, they look larger than normal to me? Also the boat davits seem to hang a bit outside the railing.

Not worried, just curious.

PA

Anyone heard anything about the safety of the Oasis? When building the largest cruise ship in the world, I'm sure they have put safety first. At one point I read that she will have the most advanced sprinkler system yet and that her stability will be greater than standard. Still there are some interesting things I'd like to know...

What if there was a fire in Central Park or Boardwalk. How do you close off an open area (when fire doors won't do)?

What about the embarkation deck (the open deck near the lifeboats)? It looks kind of small if you are to gather 5000 people there in an emergency.

Any news on the lifeboats, they look larger than normal to me? Also the boat davits seem to hang a bit outside the railing.

Not worried, just curious.

PA

I called RC the other day and they didnt even know how many life boats they have and how many they hold...the girl on the phone said she thinks there is enough for 5,000 people and i said what about the crew?are they going to be first on the lifeboats in case of emergency and she said they are not expecting an emergency. They really don't know the details yet and they really arent sure but i hope we find out soon....When i asked about security, she acted like i was crazy for asking. Then she said they will have undercover cops....which i dont believe. What do you think?:confused:

I called RC the other day and they didnt even know how many life boats they have and how many they hold...the girl on the phone said she thinks there is enough for 5,000 people and i said what about the crew?are they going to be first on the lifeboats in case of emergency and she said they are not expecting an emergency. They really don't know the details yet and they really arent sure but i hope we find out soon....When i asked about security, she acted like i was crazy for asking. Then she said they will have undercover cops....which i dont believe. What do you think?:confused:

What an interesting post. You called RC and talked to a lady who is probably in Kansas and has never been on a ship in her life. She only knows what she might have read in a brochure. She also gave any answer that poped up in her mind.

RCI has been building ships for a couple years. They probably have some of the finest marine architects in the world. I figure the odds are "they" know exactly how much space is available on the lifeboats and it is adequate for all PAX and crew.

All RCI ships (as well as all cruise ships on all lines) have an excellent security staff (not undercover cops). I recommend you do not mess with them. You will lose.

Also, I'd like for someone to tell me how to definitively know the size of an area from an artists drawing.

What an interesting post. You called RC and talked to a lady who is probably in Kansas and has never been on a ship in her life. She only knows what she might have read in a brochure. She also gave any answer that poped up in her mind.

RCI has been building ships for a couple years. They probably have some of the finest marine architects in the world. I figure the odds are "they" know exactly how much space is available on the lifeboats and it is adequate for all PAX and crew.

All RCI ships (as well as all cruise ships on all lines) have an excellent security staff (not undercover cops). I recommend you do not mess with them. You will lose.

Also, I'd like for someone to tell me how to definitively know the size of an area from an artists drawing.

call them and ask them the size of the area you want to know about....lets see what they tell you.:rolleyes:

call them and ask them the size of the area you want to know about....lets see what they tell you.:rolleyes:

It doesn't make any difference what "they" tell you, they're not the architects of the ship. "They" don't have a clue. Listening to them is like listening to a 3 year old tell how far it is to grandma's house.

But, you can keep getting information from them, none of which will bear any resemblance to reality.

No offense but how would she know? Many people who do this work are even doing it from home ( I know I was considering doing it, but after seeing some on the things people ask, I think not as being from NY I would be inclined to tell people where they can go) and have a basic instruction book or access from a website, so their knowledge on things like that are quite limited.

So do not assume people building it and who will be running it do not know, you are just asking the WRONG person.:eek:

I read on another board that the life boats of which there are 18 will hold 370 passengers each. The Oasis lifeboats are over twice the size of the Freedom lifeboats. They also have life rafts on the ships. The Coast Guard is not going to allow a vessel to sail without having the proper safeguards on the ship. Also while I was aboard the Jewel OTS, the Captain stated that the life boats would be double the size and hold over 350 passengers per boat.

CRW55stowed2graphic.jpg

CRW55underwayontest.jpg

CRW55interior.jpg

No offense but how would she know? Many people who do this work are even doing it from home ( I know I was considering doing it, but after seeing some on the things people ask, I think not as being from NY I would be inclined to tell people where they can go) and have a basic instruction book or access from a website, so their knowledge on things like that are quite limited.

So do not assume people building it and who will be running it do not know, you are just asking the WRONG person.:eek:

Well then they need to give these people some training or tell them to keep their mouths shut until they know the facts, and direct them to the right people. I would not like to have their jobs unless i know all or at least some of the answers to the questions all these people have on here. It's not just me...there are alot of others that want to know too......read some of the posts.:eek:

Well then they need to give these people some training or tell them to keep their mouths shut until they know the facts, and direct them to the right people. I would not like to have their jobs unless i know all or at least some of the answers to the questions all these people have on here. It's not just me...there are alot of others that want to know too......read some of the posts.:eek:

I read plenty of posts thank you. But I would never consider asking someone who had no hand in designing a ship. I think the lady was trying to relieve your apparent angst.

And as other have said, do you really think they have not thought this process out? Or do you doubt the builders? Call the Coast Guard!;)

I read plenty of posts thank you. But I would never consider asking someone who had no hand in designing a ship. I think the lady was trying to relieve your apparent angst.

And as other have said, do you really think they have not thought this process out? Or do you doubt the builders? Call the Coast Guard!;)

You know....thats a good idea...maybe i will call them and get the real answers im looking for.

One of the many Maritime Laws that were changed after the Titanic disaster is that every ship of any kind must have enough lifeboats and lifejackets for every soul on the ship. This includes ferries, river boats too.

Just a thought.

Has anyone figured out what would happen if Oasis is diverted from a route due to hurricane or tropical weather systems?

Do you think it would turn out to be a 7-day cruise to nowhere?

Only a couple of island ports are going to be able to handle this ship at dock and you certainly can't tender 5000+ people.

One of the many Maritime Laws that were changed after the Titanic disaster is that every ship of any kind must have enough lifeboats and lifejackets for every soul on the ship. This includes ferries' date=' river boats too.

Just a thought.

Has anyone figured out what would happen if Oasis is diverted from a route due to hurricane or tropical weather systems?

Do you think it would turn out to be a 7-day cruise to nowhere?

Only a couple of island ports are going to be able to handle this ship at dock and you certainly can't tender 5000+ people.[/quote']

Usually when a ship is diverted it is sent opposite of the planned itinerary so I don't see a problem plus many other ports are now preparing their ports to be able to handle Oasis.

Archived