To cake or not to cake with RR?

Hi All -

I am in the final stages of setting up our wedding on Key West. For better or worse, I am booked with RR with RCCL. Has anyone done the cake and champagne toast with them? Is it even worth it?

We are having about 25 guests, but they have upped the price to $25 a person for cake and champagne. It had been $15 when we had first booked the wedding, but that was almost a year ago before we even had a guest list. $15 to $25 is a HUGE price jump for a cake toast, as that is $250 bucks more for the same stuff.

Has anyone not done a cake and wished they had or did you find another alternative to celebrate with your guests before getting back on the ship?

We have about 7 non-sailing guests who will be meeting us on the beach and 17 sailing guests. So we feel we should do something on the beach but prior to a couple of weeks ago everyone was going to be on the ship except a couple tag-alongs who live in Key West and is a daughter of my mom's friend. So I didn't feel too badly if we didn't do a cake then.

Seems a stupid thing to get stressed about but $300-$600 for cake and champagne seems ridiculous when it isn't even a tiered cake with any decoration on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe the prices are different for on the ship vs. at a port, but I don't think we paid extra for champagne - it was included in our lunch buffet w/open bar. We got a small round cake, which was about $80 (before the prices went up). It was nice, but our buffet also had dessert. We ended up with lots of leftover cake, so we ate it in our room for a few days. :)

We did a cocktail reception onboard the ship in Key West. Cake for a certain number of people was included (can't remember how many). But we had many more than the cake could serve, so we had to order extra cake. We had a total of 60 people, but we actually only ordered cake for 40 to save a few dollars. We were glad we did since we had tons of cake leftover. We had an open bar, so the champagne was not an issue.

Archived