Grandeur-15 yr son need a jacket?

danamyt

We are cruising the Grandeur over Thanksgiving from New Orleans. I have a 15 year old son who is growing inches every week, literally. Is it necessary for him to have a coat for formal night or can he just wear a dress shirt and tie. It would be a total waste of money to purchase a coat at this point. My husband will be in coat and tie but not sure for my son. Any thoughts?

Yes, at 15 he should have a jacket for formal nights. If you look around in consigment stores and ebay, you can pick one up for next to nothing. All the other boys his age are also growing fast, and you can easily find one that's like new.

The first time my son cruised, we found a jacket at a consignment shop. The second time, he could still wear it but the sleeves were a tad short. The third time, he borrowed one of his Dad's jackets. Then we bought him his own and it was a bit too large, but since he was still growing, we knew he would be able to wear it a couple of years. Well, for our last cruise, he tried the jacket on and it was WAY too big for him. Although he grew, he also trimmed down considerably and the jacket was tremendous! He wore it anyway. :D

We just came off the Mariner, our 13 & 11 year old sons wore a shirt and tie on the formal nights, there were two 14 year olds with us that also just had on a shirt and tie.

There were children with jackets as well, but there were quite a few that only had on a shirt and tie.

Hope this helps!

I know it's tough at that age and you don't want to invest a bundle on a sports coat or blazer, but as written above, you should be able to find something quite inexpensive at a consignment shop or other source that will do. Now's the time when a young man at his age starts to learn what will be expected of him in the future.

Stretch

If nothing else, if he is comfortable, maybe he could borrow one from a friend. I know my girls have let friends borrow prom dresses, ect----and we have never had a problem with them returning them clean and not torn. Worth a try.

We took our son on his 1st at 15 also. He was not the coat an tie kinda guy. But we got him one and he was glad we did. If at all possible try and find one that will be within budget, as I feel it helped my son turn that corner```if ya know what I mean.:D

I picked up my 15 year old son a 2 piece suit at the Goodwill store for only $10.50. It looks brand new, and I just need to get the pants hemmed up a couple of inches.

At his age, he will probably only wear it on the cruise before he outgrows it, so I didn't want to spend big bucks on a new one.

I joined the group that shopped at Goodwill for my 15 year old son's blazer. Five dollars and a trip to the dry cleaners and it looked great. Of course, it was too small a month after the cruise but it didn't matter because it was so inexpensive.

I was surprised at how most of the 12 year old on up age range wore jackets and ties on the Mariner. Would have guessed that more would have had shirt and tie only. The jacket looked so nice in our family's formal picture and think my son was happy that he caved in to Mom's demands and wore the jacket (though he'd never admit it :-)

Archived