Best port to snorkel?

We are doing a Christmas cruise on MSC but since that board is not very active I decided to come back to the Carnival board. The ports are the same as many Carnival cruises anyway.

We are going to Nassau, Bahamas, Tortola, BVI and St. Maarten.

Which of these ports would be best for snorkeling and seeing a variety of colourful fish?

Thanks in advance for the help

We are doing a Christmas cruise on MSC but since that board is not very active I decided to come back to the Carnival board. The ports are the same as many Carnival cruises anyway.

We are going to Nassau, Bahamas, Tortola, BVI and St. Maarten.

Which of these ports would be best for snorkeling and seeing a variety of colourful fish?

Thanks in advance for the help

I think Nassau has the best snorkeling out of the islands you are going to. Tortola is nice too. Have a great cruise.

Hi Crusin Mom & Daughter,

It's been a while since we were in the bahamas, and we didn't snorkel there. St. Marteen- Not sure why, but we've never snorkeled there either. Seems that the times we've been there were yucky weather days.

Tortola on the other hand....we did an excursion to the baths. The snorkeling was great! The boats stop a few hundred feet from the shore, you snorkel to shore, then go through the rocks. It was sort of a pain that we had to carry our snorkel gear through the rocks, but between the snorkeling and the massive stone formations, it was one of our favorite places and so different than the others. I recall seeing sea urchins here that were just about as big as basket balls, but DH didn't take any pictures of them :( . Hope the pics that I attached come out okay. These are from the Baths at Tortola.

CIMG5702.jpg.bdd9a53a67951c0bfb2f5edcc63b7d11.jpg

CIMG5704.jpg.a4b33b70a4ab97220c5b0ca79379962c.jpg

CIMG5792.jpg.03ae7013c4ced1eb1a45a83f64c53960.jpg

It's been years since I was in Nassau, but if they are still offering an excursion called the Robinson Crusoe our - you went to a private island where the royals used to holiday...it was one of the best snorkeling trips I was ever on.

You didn't say if you were a novice, expert, or something in between.

Nassau snorkeling is best along the south coast, away from town or northeast towards nearby islands. Stuart Cove's operation is pretty popular out of there. They take you a short ways offshore to the reefs. Shore based snorkeling in Nassau is generally a disappointment for all but the newest of snorkelers. (but it is the ocean, you never know what may pass by)

Cruise Critic has a forum here just for snorkeling/scuba questions , and the ports you've listed also have their own forums here with advice specific to those locations.

We love to snorkel but haven't done it at any of the ports on your itinerary. I suggest you go to the scuba & snorkeling board and post your question there for more response. In the drop down box at the bottom of the page, this board can be found under Cruise Discussion Topics, which is after the list of cruiseline boards. This board seems to be often overlooked, because it's kind of tucked away in an unexpected location on the list. :)

Archived