1st SHip arriving November 1st, 2004 :)

Island Marketing Cayman

Just a quick note:

The first Ship arrival has been confirmed for November 1st, 2004 (and I win the Office Pool :) as soon as “our real Head Office” re-opens, also on November 1st, one big day for all!!!)

The Ship which will be visiting has not been confirmed, so we have Office Pool #2, my bet rests on the Inspiration, (I love the Ship and it’s crew, we have shared many frozen drinks at our beach break in Costa Maya.) Others are betting on the Imagination, as soon as we know we’ll tell.

The FCCA (Florida Caribbean Cruise Association) visited Grand Cayman and has inspected “Cruise Ship Passengers visited areas” and has given the “go ahead” to start visits, they have also donated $390,000usd to the Cayman Islands Relief Fund. A big “Thanks” to Michelle Paige the President of FCCA for the donation as well as for allowing Ships to visit. (On your next visit e-mail us, you deserve a free excursions!!)

Our Operators waiting for your arrival (Due to the overwhelming amounts of e-mails we have been receiving)

Capt. Bryan’s: Ready and waiting

Buccaneer: Ready and waiting

Horseback Riding: Ready and waiting (horses are really bored)

Island Tours: Ready and waiting

Red Baron: Ready and waiting

Nautigal: Ready and waiting

Scuba Diving: December 15th startup (Hammering and sweeping debris)

Atlantis: Deep Sub operational, Atlantis Sub off to Canada for refitting and should be back by February 15th. A sub from another location might be shipped to Cayman for an earlier start-up. SeaWorld Explorer ready by December.

Avis Car Rental: Very limited due to on-Island rentals

Other Operators we know:

Capt. Marvins: Ready and waiting

NativeWay: Ready and waiting

Soto’s: Unknown (Hopefully Ready and waiting)

See you soon!!!!!

Matteo

Thank you also for letting us know that Grand Cayman will be open for business on 1st November - Great News!

One question I do have however, how has the Coral Reef and marine life held up during the hurricane? Has it been badly affected?

Any info would be of help to me, thanks.

Veronica

Congratulations on the first bet, I think the second will be a push...

"We will resume our calls to Grand Cayman starting with cruises departing

on 10/30/04 (Inspiration, Imagination and Carnival Triumph 10/30/04

departures; Carnival Conquest 10/31/04 departure). All November departures

and beyond will visit Grand Cayman as originally scheduled."

Just a quick note:

Our Operators waiting for your arrival (Due to the overwhelming amounts of e-mails we have been receiving).....

Other Operators we know:....

Do you know Capt Clint Ebanks?

He is a "one man" company who takes people out snorkeling and to stingray city and such. We went with him last year and had a fabulous time and were in the midst of booking again for this November when the hurricane hit. We've been unable to reach him since then. Possibly it's a matter of electricity.

Members of the FCCA who travelled to Grand Cayman for the meetings today were: Mr. Patrick Schneider --Royal Caribbean, Executive, Shore Excursions; Mr. Gerry Larsoon Fechle – Royal Caribbean, Captain; Mr. Graham Davis – Princess Cruises, Manager of Shore Operations, Caribbean & Atlantic; Mr. Steve Nielsen – Princess Cruises, VP Shore Operations; Ms. Michele Paige – FCCA, President; Mr. Amilcar Cascais – Carnival Cruise Lines, Director Tour Operations and Mr. Larry Stauffer – Disney Cruise Line, Operations Manager for Island and Shore Excursions. “As partners we have determined, together, that cruise ships will begin visiting our shores again in the first week of November,” said the Hon. Minister.

http://www.caymanislands.ky/tour_guide/news_details_pub.asp?id=934&site=ky

Thanks to Island Marketing Cayman for keeping us all informed.

From reading that I hope my take on the information is NOT correct!

No scuba diving until December 15th??? Please say it isn't so!!!!!!

All the businesses listed are snorkeling outfits!

Would be greatly disappointed!!!

But would cry for a day or two and then get on with my life-----looking into scuba diving in Cozumel!!! Sure wouldn't ruin the whole cruise!

Any information or help on this situation will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sue

We just got an email from our TA today confirming it. We'll be in Grand Cayman on November 4th!!

A good friend of his and a Carnival source told him the following ships will be there: Inspiration, Imagination, and Triumph (10/30/04) departures, and (us) who will be on the Conquest (10/31/04).

I'm so excited!!!!!:D

Looking foward to being one of the first to help the Caymans get a boost to their economy!!

Cmez- would appreciate any info you could give on your return about the state of scuba diving in GC!

And review of the port of call! Hope all is much better for the local people!

We are all anxiously awaiting for the ships to return!

Thanks!

Sue and Joe

I'll be on the same cruise as you are Cmez. We will be heading for New Orleans this Friday and I just can't wait!:D Now that I know we will also be able to visit the Grand Cayman islands, I am ecstatic!!:D

I promise to give a detailed review as soon as I get back! Grand Cayman here I come!!!:D

Star Princess Nov 7 cruise will be stopping in GC .. we lost it then we got it back again!

Would also love to know how the waters are. We won't be scuba diving (i didn't get to do my courses in time -- hurricanes here in FL stopped me from doing that :cool: ) So we will be snorkeling.

Karen:D

The first arriving Ship is not known, we are doing our best to find out on our end today.

Please note that it is our offered scuba diving service, on our reservation service, that is not available until December 15th (an estimated guess, it could be earlier) Our offered scuba diving operations are not indicative of other scuba diving providers operational capabilities whom we do not service. Some Scuba Diving providers will be diving on November 1st onwards, but I do not know which providers are operational. Once again, scuba diving is available in Grand Cayman today, just not on our service. We only service two Scuba Diving providers: One for Stingray City, Wall, wreck diving and resort courses whose George Town dive shop/dock was damaged and should be repaired soon, their boats are fine and we wish them a super speedy recovery. The other provider services our shore diving and resort courses. We were dismayed to be advised that they will be raising prices for their service, a move which was unexpected and makes very little business sense to me at this time, we should be providing lowered specials for returning Passengers for a limited time not raise pricing IMO. We have decided to drop the “price raiser” from our service due to lack of sense and might include him once again once his reasoning returns to normal. As I asked him yesterday “What else did you hurt when you hit your head last night?”

Dives have been conducted Island wide by many Dive Masters in order to inspect the reefs and they have found very little damage. Stingray City was visited as well as the Stingray City Sandbar, both appear normal. From 5ft to 30ft some barrel sponges have “leaned over”, (keep in mind that a sponge can be cut into one thousand pieces and the one thousand pieces will create one thousand sponges. Even dry sponges found on shore if robbed on a silk napkin or other porous material will create spores which will re-grow sponges. Let hear it for the amazing sponges!! Please do not try this at home) Some Sea Fans have snapped, coral seams healthy (Coral is truly amazing also, but I have already included one “useless fact” in this post and will not add another :) ) Depths of 30ft to 90ft all seems normal, gullies were filled with sand (also called sand shoots) not surprising as sand is siphoned in the sand shoots regularly, surely nature’s way of keeping sand off the reef. From 80ft to 10,000ft (the Cayman Wall) is perfectly fine and was most likely the best place to be during Ivan.

I can only imagine how much work was involved by cruise liners over changing itineraries and advising all passengers of changes last month. I am sure that the next two weeks will be a surprise Cayman visit for most that are looking at the revised Oct-Nov itineraries issued last month. Grand Cayman will be re-included in itineraries as soon as a normal Ship flow resumes for now we will have to deal with surprises, all I have to say about that is “Bring it on!”

Now, back to work :)

Matteo

Thanks Matteo! We are on the Inspiration cruise that is stopping in Grand Cayman Nov 10th. Definately want to do some snorkeling!Have you heard any confirmation on the Inspiration for Nov 10th. We are very excited to visit Cayman and have been worried about our stop being canceled.

Hi Matteo! Thanks for the information. I will be arriving on the Conquest (or so we have been told) on November 4 (my birthday). I would LOVE to parasail for my birthday and I was wondering if parasailing will be up and running on my upcoming visit. If so, where do I need to go, how much will it be and should I make reservations ahead of time? Carnival does not offer a parasailing excursion in any port and I hear 7 Mile Beach is very beautiful. Please let me know. Thanks!

I am on the Royal Carribean Navigator of the Seas scheduled in Cayman on November 3... From what I have been reading, it seems as only the Carnival ships will be allowed to dock?

They have given us a day at sea rather than Cayman...another port would have been better.

I am on the Royal Carribean Navigator of the Seas scheduled in Cayman on November 3... From what I have been reading, it seems as only the Carnival ships will be allowed to dock?

They have given us a day at sea rather than Cayman...another port would have been better.

While that appears to be case, I would assume nothing. All of the cruise lines were at the same meeting. RCCL may be taking a more conservative approach. You may be going and they may not be telling (yet). Or maybe they are telling the truth.

If things don't work as planned - I guess that is a given - but if they are just horrible, I imagine the number of cruise ships allowed into Grand Cayman will be reduced. If things aren't horrible, I think it will ramp up quickly.

Alternate ports are also a possiblility - right now, the alternate ports are filled to capacity, as I understand it. They may have openings if some ships now go to Grand Cayman.

Yet another alternative (do you feel lucky?) might be to imply to the cruise line that you are very disappointed and are thinking of cancelling and rescheduling for a later cruise.

Of course, unless they can somehow make it up to you. A cabin upgrade might convince you not to? A serious discount on a future cruise? A quick check of one website indicated cabins were available in ALL categories (but not cheap).

Even without GC you will still have 3 ports of call, which is actually the norm for a 7 day cruise, I believe.

Just like the World Series (which is now over), it ain't over till it's over.

Do you have your halloween costume planned?

Great news Matteo!!! Thank you for your previous posts, and for getting all the correct and up to date information to all of us cruisers who are anxiously awaiting a visit to your island. We are scheduled on the "Red Baron" January 13, and are "ready and waiting".

While that appears to be case, I would assume nothing. All of the cruise lines were at the same meeting. RCCL may be taking a more conservative approach. You may be going and they may not be telling (yet). Or maybe they are telling the truth.

If things don't work as planned - I guess that is a given - but if they are just horrible, I imagine the number of cruise ships allowed into Grand Cayman will be reduced. If things aren't horrible, I think it will ramp up quickly.

Alternate ports are also a possiblility - right now, the alternate ports are filled to capacity, as I understand it. They may have openings if some ships now go to Grand Cayman.

Yet another alternative (do you feel lucky?) might be to imply to the cruise line that you are very disappointed and are thinking of cancelling and rescheduling for a later cruise.

Of course, unless they can somehow make it up to you. A cabin upgrade might convince you not to? A serious discount on a future cruise? A quick check of one website indicated cabins were available in ALL categories (but not cheap).

Even without GC you will still have 3 ports of call, which is actually the norm for a 7 day cruise, I believe.

Just like the World Series (which is now over), it ain't over till it's over.

Do you have your halloween costume planned?

Thanks for your reply. Right now, no other port has been offered just a "relaxing day at sea"... Cancelling the cruise (2 days from now) is pretty much out of the question as I would lose my airfare to miami)

I guess there must be halloween parties on the ship but i am having enough trouble fitting my regular clothes into the suitcase (my first cruise...overpacking) so there is no extra room for a costume.

I just want to have nice weather and a good time... If we end up in cayman, it will be wonderful as i had reserved snorkel and stingrays with nativeways.

The first arriving Ship is not known, we are doing our best to find out on our end today.

Please note that it is our offered scuba diving service, on our reservation service, that is not available until December 15th (an estimated guess, it could be earlier) Our offered scuba diving operations are not indicative of other scuba diving providers operational capabilities whom we do not service. Some Scuba Diving providers will be diving on November 1st onwards, but I do not know which providers are operational. Once again, scuba diving is available in Grand Cayman today, just not on our service. We only service two Scuba Diving providers: One for Stingray City, Wall, wreck diving and resort courses whose George Town dive shop/dock was damaged and should be repaired soon, their boats are fine and we wish them a super speedy recovery. The other provider services our shore diving and resort courses. We were dismayed to be advised that they will be raising prices for their service, a move which was unexpected and makes very little business sense to me at this time, we should be providing lowered specials for returning Passengers for a limited time not raise pricing IMO. We have decided to drop the “price raiser” from our service due to lack of sense and might include him once again once his reasoning returns to normal. As I asked him yesterday “What else did you hurt when you hit your head last night?”

Dives have been conducted Island wide by many Dive Masters in order to inspect the reefs and they have found very little damage. Stingray City was visited as well as the Stingray City Sandbar, both appear normal. From 5ft to 30ft some barrel sponges have “leaned over”, (keep in mind that a sponge can be cut into one thousand pieces and the one thousand pieces will create one thousand sponges. Even dry sponges found on shore if robbed on a silk napkin or other porous material will create spores which will re-grow sponges. Let hear it for the amazing sponges!! Please do not try this at home) Some Sea Fans have snapped, coral seams healthy (Coral is truly amazing also, but I have already included one “useless fact” in this post and will not add another :) ) Depths of 30ft to 90ft all seems normal, gullies were filled with sand (also called sand shoots) not surprising as sand is siphoned in the sand shoots regularly, surely nature’s way of keeping sand off the reef. From 80ft to 10,000ft (the Cayman Wall) is perfectly fine and was most likely the best place to be during Ivan.

I can only imagine how much work was involved by cruise liners over changing itineraries and advising all passengers of changes last month. I am sure that the next two weeks will be a surprise Cayman visit for most that are looking at the revised Oct-Nov itineraries issued last month. Grand Cayman will be re-included in itineraries as soon as a normal Ship flow resumes for now we will have to deal with surprises, all I have to say about that is “Bring it on!”

Now, back to work :)

Matteo

Can you tell me how the Botanical Gardens fared?

We are booked on the Inspiration on Nov. 8. Due into GC on the 10th. We've been getting lots of different info from Carnival and our T/A as to whether we were going to GC or Costa Mesa. It looks like its official that we are going to GC. I just hope they aren't dropping us off in a "disaster zone". We are still recovering from Ivan's strike here in the Pensacola/Destin area. I would hate to be a tourist in Pensacola Beach right now. Lots of debris and destruction that hasn't been repaired. Matter of fact, they haven't even restored most utilities there yet. This will be our second visit to GC and hope we can enjoy it without interfering with their recovery efforts. Bon Voyage!

Archived