1st SHip arriving November 1st, 2004 :)

Island Marketing Cayman

Thanks for all the updates and information. We are on the Horizon scheduled for November 21st. I did not see the ship listed but I am keeping my fingers crossed. We have been to Grand Cayman twice on other cruises and were really looking forward to a pub lunch and some serious shopping again.

Hi all,

We were on the Summit that managed to get in to GC on Nov. 2 (sadly our cruise is over....wish it had been longer than 11 days). The downtown area where the tenders dock was beautiful....and we were amazed at how good everything looked there. (Just a few of the familiar blue tarps still in place...and a few businesses not yet reopened) Now, as I understand it, once you leave that downtown area, it is a whole 'nother story...and there is limited access to most residential neighborhoods. We had a great lunch at Breezes over looking the port area and our waitress reported how excited they were to have cruise passengers there again.....every car even stopped to let you cross the street with waving locals at every turn. It was GREAT.

Outside of downtown was another story.....the above mentioned waitress reported that she had had 6 ft of contaminated water in her home....lost all 3 of their cars (saltwater ruins the motors), and their roof was gone. They still have no clean water or electricity....and yet must live there because there are so few accomodations to be had on the island. Sooo, don't be fooled into thinking the rest of the island is even close to recovering. But as our waitress explained....the workers need the $$$ to rebuild...and they need stuff to do when they can't work on their houses...so having "low impact" tourists, like cruise passengers who have to be back on board by 3-4 pm...is perfect for the island now.

Our fellow CC members onboard reported that water sports/excursions were wonderful....We only received notice about getting into GC 2 days before the ship actually arrived (we had been told on sailing that we wouldn't make it and excursions had originally been cancelled)....but all the excursion companies rebooked or welcomed walk ins....as there wasn't enough time to do long range or even on ship internet booking.

Sooo, go and have fun. Be especially nice to the folks there as they have worked unbelievably hard to make this possible for cruising passengers! And, don't skimp on your tips...they need it.

We were scheduled to be in Grand Cayman Tuesday, November 2, but RCI decided to take us to Labadee instead. They saved tons of money since it is much closer than GC, plus I'm sure they make a pretty penny on everything done there. The local artisans are the only locals (and possibly some security guards) that make anything as RCI brings in all their own food, cooks, servers, and excursions staff.

For many months the Enchantment was the only ship scheduled to be in GC on the 1st. Then a couple of months ago the Norwegian Spirit showed up, and then a few weeks ago the Celebrity Summit changed its itinerary around and was listed. From this information it would seem that the Enchantment would have had prioirty as one of the two ships to dock, but we didn't. The whole time on the ship we were given the "hurricane" excuse.

Does anyone know how the choice is made as to which ships get to dock? We made the best of our time in Labadee, but it was no Grand Cayman. I realize RCI lost lots of money from the recent hurricanes, but I see no reason to shortchange our cruise to try and make up for it. We couldn't even get cool water from the sink in our cabin because they were saving money by not cooling the water.

I guess the moral of the story is--don't go on a cruise shortly after the cruise lines have been inconvenienced.

We were scheduled to be in Grand Cayman Tuesday, November 2, but RCI decided to take us to Labadee instead. They saved tons of money since it is much closer than GC, plus I'm sure they make a pretty penny on everything done there. The local artisans are the only locals (and possibly some security guards) that make anything as RCI brings in all their own food, cooks, servers, and excursions staff.

For many months the Enchantment was the only ship scheduled to be in GC on the 1st. Then a couple of months ago the Norwegian Spirit showed up, and then a few weeks ago the Celebrity Summit changed its itinerary around and was listed. From this information it would seem that the Enchantment would have had prioirty as one of the two ships to dock, but we didn't. The whole time on the ship we were given the "hurricane" excuse.

Does anyone know how the choice is made as to which ships get to dock? We made the best of our time in Labadee, but it was no Grand Cayman. I realize RCI lost lots of money from the recent hurricanes, but I see no reason to shortchange our cruise to try and make up for it. We couldn't even get cool water from the sink in our cabin because they were saving money by not cooling the water.

I guess the moral of the story is--don't go on a cruise shortly after the cruise lines have been inconvenienced.

You're kidding right?

I too have been wondering if our ship Radiance of Seas will still stop at Grand Cayman on 12/2 -- B.I. (B.I.= Before Ivan) there were to be at least 6 ships on that Thursday: Radiance, Veendam, Rhapsody, Jewel, Conquest & Oosterdam. Now that several ships have stopped (successfully) over past week, I'm wondering how many can go that day. So far the port authority's schedule for cruise ships on 12/2 lists only "Holiday Dream", whatever that is....

I have read where some RC ships have substituted Labadee for Cayman, but our itinerary already includes Labadee, Jamaica & Cozumel -- so what can they add if no go to GCM -- Costa Maya, I guess.

Have been looking forward greatly to taking my 3 adult kids & spouses on Stingray/snorkel trip & walking the beach too. Already this year we missed our weeklong stay on GCM due to Ivan & I'm hoping this stop will not be omitted!!

This was on CI Government/Radio Cayman's website yesterday:

Royal Caribbean Cruise lines wont send ships to Cayman - for a while longer 08/11/2004As cruise tourism officially resumed last Monday following the passage of Hurricane Ivan, one cruise line company has refused to send its ships to Grand Cayman.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL) has yet to send a ship to Grand Cayman, although the Cayman Islands cruise arrival schedule, which was issued just days before the November 1st resumption date, has RCCL listed to visit five times over a two week period.

The RCCL ship, Splendor of the seas, was scheduled to arrive Monday, but did not show. Radiance of the seas was scheduled to arrive on Friday November 5th, and Navigator do the seas was scheduled on Wednesday November 3rd, none of the vessels anchored in the George Town Harbor. The cruise line is scheduled to arrive on two different days later this week. A spokesperson for RCCL said, "We are providing the Cayman Islands with additional storm recovery time." There was no indication given as to when RCCL would resume using Grand Cayman as a port of call.

Several other Florida Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) companies are coming to Grand Cayman. Over 16 thousand cruise visitors came ashore last week (Monday 1st through Friday 5th).

But many local businesses in the capitol city of the Cayman Islands feel that the cruise lines thinks the island is not ready to receive visitors as of yet. But visitors today felt the islands were ready to receive guests. Shane Leach (36) from Pasco, Washington said, "If you look around, you can see damage, but for the most part, it looks fairly good". Brad Knowles (65) from Virginia Beach, Virginia said, "This is our 3rd or 4th time here and it looks the same, so I think that's great and we'll be back".

But not all agree. "It's pretty bad", said Jim Paton (64) from Scotland, "I think its good that we could see just what happened to the you, we all know it was bad here and we have seen just how bad it is, its been very bad, but we are enjoying our stay."

A week before cruise ships resumed the Grand Cayman destination, Royal Caribbean cruise line and the FCCA donated 390 thousand US dollars to the Cayman Islands Government to assist with the restoration process.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place but it is near the dock. If I remember correctly it was across the road on the right as you faced the town on the second floor.

They had a great beer selection and real pub food. It was undergoing renovations on our last trip 2 years ago and we were disappointed. I guess we will just hope we get there and that they are up and running.

• 3 months later...

Archived