Goff's Caye Snorkeling

cruisingchic

Has anyone visited Goffs Caye since the Hurricane? We were there Jan 04 and the coral reef was fabulous.

We will be in Belize this coming Jan and we have been considering taking the shark ray alley and snorkel tour to Caye Caulker instead. However, have just read on CC that the reef in Caye Caulker seems to have been badly affected by the Hurricane. Just wondering if the coral reefs in all the ports of call (Western Caribbean itinery) will be badly damaged?

Does anybody out there have any up to date info please, it would be greatly appreciated?

Veronica

Eventhough it was only a brushing blow, areas in Belize were affected by Hurricane Ivan -- beach erosion and damaged piers on the island of San Pedro, Caye Caulker and Goff's Caye on Sept. 12th and 13th (from http://www.hydromet.gov.bz/monthly_weather_summary.htm)

Although represented by a small, squiggly line on the hurricane map shown here: http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/00/91/61/image_961910.jpg , Hurricane Ivan's tidal effects and winds did affect Belize to some extent.

All that said...I, too, am anxious to hear more about the damage to the reef system -- is it still a "Must Snorkle" location, or should I find an alternate excursion?

Thank you Matthew (TxLnghrnz) for your reply to my question. I agree, it will be nice to hear from people who have actually been to these places since September.

I see that you are from San Antonio, I love that place, the Alamo, River Walk etc.

Thanks, Veronica

Txlnghrnz,

Thanks for the links. Good info. So if the reef was affected in Belize which did not get a direct hit, but was affected by the water surge, why has there not been any concern about the reef in Grand Cayman; or Cozumel? Were they affected too? Wrong board I know :)

Su

Su,

I booked a snorkling tour in Belize (figured, I'd at least be able to say "I've snorkeled there!") Three of us have signed up for the "Shark Ray Alley & Town Sightseeing" which will get us to Ambergis Caye/San Pedro after the snorkle. So, even if the snorkling is not too great, we can still enjoy Madonna's "La Isla Bonita"!

If we don't get a report on the reef before I leave (3 weeks!), I'll report back when I return...

BTW, thanks for your kind words on San Antonio, Veronica -- we really love the River Walk, too (although, only seem to get down there when we have friends/family in town!) I'd love to visit your hometown...Barcelona, Spain!

Wanna' trade houses? LOL

So I read over on GC boards. The government had an extensive search of the reefs there and found very little damage, mostly on the 5 - 30 ft level (snorkeling area :mad: ) Anyway, it made me hopeful that the reef in Belize was still in good shape.

Txlnghrnz: I'm looking forward to hearing how your tour is. Enjoy one for me ;)

Su

Goff's Caye was affected by the hurricane but has recovered. I was there last month on a catamaran snorkeling tour with Belize Rays and the snorkeling was fantastic, lovely coral formations and plenty marine life. I bought the tour on shore for only US$40. I saved US$35 by not buying on the ship. The crew and guides were professional and made our day wonderful. The water was crystal clear!

The island needs a bit more cleaning up but it is still the best. The guides told me that the Zone Management is in the process of completing the cleaning up.

Kaya,

My wife and I will be in Belize with a 1pm-7pm port of call on the Grand Princess. We are interested in Goff Caye but are concerned about possible time constraints.

How long is the tender ride from the ship to the Tourism dock and how long was your boat ride from the dock to the Caye?

How much time was afforded for snorkeling and beach. Cash bar on boat? Reasonable pricing? Was the beach there clean? Snorkeling from shore? Any facilities on the Caye? Have you ever been to Rendevous Caye? If so, how do the 2 compare?

Lots of questions but any detailed info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

The tender ride was only about 20 minutes and the ride to Goff's Caye was approx 30 minutes. The tour lasted about 3 1/2hours. We were allowed to snorkel off the boat which has two easy step down ladders. Snorkel and beach time was approx. 2 hrs. The boat is impecably clean and the facilites on the boat including the snorkel gear are clean. In fact the snorkel & Mask are packaged in sealed plastic bags like the ear phones you get on the airplane. I was impressed with the operations attention to detail and cleanliness. I can only tell you that the price of a beer was $3. They had Rum, Whisky, Vodka etc but I drank beer. I did notice that complimentary cold bottled water was provided and it did not seem to be on a ration. There are no facilites on the island other than a cabana a few coconut trees and a portable toilet. The catamaran we went on had its own toilet facilties which was very clean. The beach and the water is fabulous! I personally have never been to Randevozous Caye but my friend tells me that it is also a great place to snorkel. I believe this is so since they are both on the reef and just a stone throw away. The tour that goes to Randezvous cost US$75 and the tour to Goff's Caye I paid US$40 buying it on shore at the Tourism Village Dock from an operator with an executive catamaran. The name of the operator is Belize Rays. I believe they have a website but I do not know the address.

To Txlnghrnz

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply below, it's always an option to trade houses, maybe sometime in the future? Texas holds special memories for my and my family, we saw our first and only Rodeo there!

Keep in touch,

Veronica

BTW, thanks for your kind words on San Antonio, Veronica -- we really love the River Walk, too (although, only seem to get down there when we have friends/family in town!) I'd love to visit your hometown...Barcelona, Spain!

Wanna' trade houses? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

We also just got back from Goff's Caye on BelizeRays.com (Nov. 10) and the guides said the coral reef was damaged a bit by the storms. It is making a solid comeback tho and plenty of sea life was seen. I had snorkeled Looe Key back in 1990 and this was my only other coral reef experience. I can say that there were not as many fish at Goff's Caye but the day was still extraordinary. And even tho it was "follow the leader", our family was able to "fall back" and stay together. They guaranteed my daughter she would see "a tropical fish" and my daughter was not disappointed! And how'd you get it for $40, they charged us $45 for adults and $25 for the kids. Still 1/3 the price of the ship tour.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from Belize. We were so excited about going back to Goff's Caye, but were greatly disappointed. When we got to Belize, we looked for the company we had gone with before. They were no longer doing business (they are now the company that the cruise ships use). We went with another company advertising for Goff's Caye, we were then told we would be going to a beach resort and and to another Caye. We spoke to several people on our tour and they were under the impression that we were going to Goff's Caye.I do not believe the place we stopped would be considered a caye. There was maybe 20 sq. feet of sand showing. There were lots of fish, but most of the coral was dead.

We have decided that in the future we will take the ship tour to Goff's caye (we love that little island). I believe the carnival price for it was around $55-60. Well worth the piece of mind and that wonderful little island.

Were you able to find out the names of any other private companies to take you snorkling???? We'll be on the Grand in Feb and none of the ones I've heard of have tours later in the day(the Grand comes in late..12, I think)

Archived