Airport Change in Buenos Aries

doc&bug

On Feb. 1 my wife and I are booked on a cruise from Buenos Aries to Santiago. We are arriving 5 days early and have booked air and a hotel for 3 nights at iguazu Falls. We know that we have to change airports from the international airport EZE to a local airport. Has anyone made this transfer and if so how was it done? How much time did it take to collect bags and make the transfer? We are scheduled for about a 3 hour layover. The Argentina airline has a small weight limit and I am not sure what to do with the extra bags at this time. I may pay the extra fee or try to find a place to check them for a few days. If anyone has been through this please let me know how it went

On Feb. 1 my wife and I are booked on a cruise from Buenos Aries to Santiago. We are arriving 5 days early and have booked air and a hotel for 3 nights at iguazu Falls. We know that we have to change airports from the international airport EZE to a local airport. Has anyone made this transfer and if so how was it done? How much time did it take to collect bags and make the transfer? We are scheduled for about a 3 hour layover. The Argentina airline has a small weight limit and I am not sure what to do with the extra bags at this time. I may pay the extra fee or try to find a place to check them for a few days. If anyone has been through this please let me know how it went

As a general rule, you will need more than 3 hours to make the transfer and get on the next plane. You have to clear immigration, get your luggage, clear customs, find a taxi (the easiest way to the domestic airport and allow an hour), check in, pay the depearture tax, go through security and still be in place to board your plane NO LATER than 30 minutes before departure time. IF your plane is late arriving from the USA, you will NOT make the flight. And you still have the luggage to deal with.

Are you coming back to BA for a couple of days???? If so, drop your luggage off at your hotel. But add on AT LEAST another couple of hours between planes. And the luggage allowance on Aerolineas Argentina-33 pounds in coach, 60 pounds in Business/first INCLUDES carryon. You will pay an absolute FORTUNE for excess luggage (if you travel with normal cruise luggage). You will be far better off booking a hotel and changing your flight to a later one.

Greatam, as always, has given you good advice. I used to travel to BA once or twice a month. Clearing immigration took between 2 minutes to 2 hours depending upon which planes from where disembarked when (if your plane is late and lands after the weekly (well, back then it was weekly; don't know what it is now), you got to be in a long, very slow moving line.) If you are after then other planes from the U.S., the line moves faster, but it is still a wait.

The trip between airports, as greatam wrote, is 1 hour or a bit less unless something Argentine is going on. In that case, you will get there.. eventually.

I do disagree with his advice to take a taxi.. I'd have a car pre-arranged if I were trying to do what you are trying to do. But, if it were me, I would spend the day/night in BA and fly out the next morning (leaving my excess luggage with the hotel.. the excess luggage fees can easily be MORE, much more, than your tickets).

Are you coming back to BA for a couple of days???? If so, drop your luggage off at your hotel. But add on AT LEAST another couple of hours between planes. And the luggage allowance on Aerolineas Argentina-33 pounds in coach, 60 pounds in Business/first INCLUDES carryon. You will pay an absolute FORTUNE for excess luggage (if you travel with normal cruise luggage). You will be far better off booking a hotel and changing your flight to a later one.

Greatam, what is the allowance on Aerolineas inside the cabin? I assume the 33 pounds is checked?

I do disagree with his advice to take a taxi.. I'd have a car pre-arranged if I were trying to do what you are trying to do. But, if it were me, I would spend the day/night in BA and fly out the next morning (leaving my excess luggage with the hotel.. the excess luggage fees can easily be MORE, much more, than your tickets).

Does anyone know a company where we can pre-book a car in BA? We will need to go from EZE to a hotel to drop luggage and then to the local airport.

Greatam, what is the allowance on Aerolineas inside the cabin? I assume the 33 pounds is checked?

TOTAL allowance is as I posted.

"Luggage allowance includes all that the passenger is allowed to carry without charge. It includes what is dispatched as registered luggage in holds and what the passenger takes on board to the cabin, as handbags."

Does anyone know a company where we can pre-book a car in BA? We will need to go from EZE to a hotel to drop luggage and then to the local airport.

Have your hotel make the arrangements. It is usually the easiest in SA.

Archived