Celebrity vs. Princess

Seabreeze8

I just got off of the Dawn Princess rt out of SFO to Alaska. Service was A++

however food was just so so. (Alaska King crab legs were a joke and lobster was so bad it was sent back twice).I am going on the Infinity to Alaska next May. This will be my chance to compare. I have been reading on these boards that celebritys' food has gone down hill. I will find out for myself.

• 3 weeks later...
I just booked Galaxy for Feb. 9, 2009 can you provide any details on the ship such as crew attitudes and condition of ship since the ship is being sold in March. Also I am booked on cabin 4047 any information on this cabin you can provide such as noise, views, and where I could possible find any pictures.

See previous post re noise. Generally none except gangplank. The suitcase arrival room is also across the hall so that was busy in the hallway the first day, but no big deal. The cabin is exactly as in the pics on the celebrity website. A stanbdard stateroom. Has a square window not a porthole. Anything else you need to know?

Can I come in here and ask, since we're comparing the two lines (I've only sailed on Princess) - is there as much of what I'll call "nickel and diming" on Celebrity? I know sodas and all that cost more, but the "buy a painting," "buy a photo book" stuff got on my nerves a little.

Hi, we just came back from the Grand Princess after sailing Celebrity 8 times since 2002. We really enjoyed Princess, the food, the fact that at no time did we have to line up at the Buffet for breakfast or lunch. The friendly staff all led to an excellent cruise experience.

The food at dinner was comparable to Celebrity, with a good selection of appetizer, soup and salad. We found that perhaps the main course selection on Celebrity was a little more varied but never did we have to resort to the 'always available' steak or salmon. The desserts were much better than Celebrity in our opinion. We dined at Sabatini's where we enjoyed a good meal. However it was not as good as a dinner at the Olympic or Normandie restaurants on Celebrity but also the cost was $20 rather than $30. However, we agree with previous posts, that the Celebrity speciality restaurants, although very good, are not three star restaurants either.

We were amazed, and our pocket book delighted at the lower cost for wine, pre-dinner cocktails etc. on Princess

In general the availability of more rooms to listen to music etc. also was a positive on Princess.

From now on, we will sail Princess or Celebrity - the itinerary will be the deciding factor.

Hello,

We have been on Princess cruise but not Celebrity cruises and thinking about giving Celebrity a try based on the itinerary. We are considering a 2-week Hawaiian cruise on Millennium for 2009 and would like to pack as little as possible. How are Celebrity cruises differ than Princess cruises in attitude and service? Does Celebrity require more formal dress for formal dinners? What is the dress code for informal nights? Thanks to all!

Well, if my cruise to Alaska on Millennium is any indication (14 days, 9-22/10-6) of the current state of Celebrity ships and food quality, I’d go with Princess. Although the crew and service provided was outstanding, the food on the Millennium was just horrid. (With the exception of the Olympic, and that was very very good and well worth the additional cost.) For example, how much work or effort does it take to keep Pizza warm... What, a heat lamp? Room temp, buffet enchiladas, yummy, how appealing.

You can find other examples from me regarding the food quality or lack thereof, on my other posts on this Celebrity board. (Average Age on Celebrity thread for example)

Again, if the condition of Millennium was any indication of the condition of other Celebrity ships, I’d choose Princess without a doubt. I think RCL has gutted Celebrity and it is starting to show.

Be warned Celebrity ships do not have a self-serv laundry, and you must send clothes out to Laundered, and such is not cheap. The one price stuff the bag deal is offered only once late in the cruise (Even on a 14 day cruise!) I had the discount coupon being a captain circle member and it saves a whopping 10%

PS… Much to the horror of many on this board I am sure, Jeans were allowed into the dining room for dinner. (No, I did not wear such, but after seeing such several times I sure thought about it.. and yes I am very ok with nice jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights.)

Can I come in here and ask, since we're comparing the two lines (I've only sailed on Princess) - is there as much of what I'll call "nickel and diming" on Celebrity? I know sodas and all that cost more, but the "buy a painting," "buy a photo book" stuff got on my nerves a little.

About the same, but overall, a bit more subdued on Celebrity. Less flyers in the daily activity brochure on Celebrity. I also found the photographers and the photo products somewhat more low keyed as well.

They both push the shopping talks and Diamonds International, which I truly despise. Diamonds International and its ilk are a malignant cancer on the cruise industry and needs to be boycotted. It ruins small ports, totally changes the ports nature when it evades.

I actually found that the wines and drink prices a bit less on Celebrity than Princess. Celebrity has more top and lower priced wines anywhere from $30 to $300. Princess seems to have more mid priced wines $50 to $200.

With that said, we prefer the small ships and really want to sail a smaller shipto Alaska this time (took lovely Summit Northbound back in 2002) but are afraid that (all the?) lines may be "skimping" on the small ships too much these days?

Would LOVE to do Mercury to Alaska! Just don't want such a drastic drop (as with our HAL) on the Line that spoiled us so in the first place ;) Or Princess, the Ultimate Alaska Pros, where we won't have as high expectations service-food-wise, thus can't be "let down" at all and just be pleasantly surprised if it's close.

Would just like the small ship.

Any and all observations would be appreciated.

Sacreligious to mention it on here but have you looked at the Regent Seven seas - they have small ships that do an Alaska cruise. Prices are coming down to so you can get 5 star service for a better price these days.

We started with X, went to Princess to try something different, and are back to X with a vow never to go Princess again. :eek:

Reasons? Food was horrid and inconsistent on Princess, Buffets were poorly arranged, and cabins were a bit better but not a reason to switch lines. Service level has been consistently higher on X and we didn't realize how fortunate we were on X until we tried Princess.

Our opinions only, YMMV. ;)

Archived