Afternoon Tea in Victoria

I have had High Tea many times at the Empress and it is quite hugely overly priced through the setting is first rate.

I took guests to Blethering Place in Oak Bay two years ago and it wasn't good at all, lots of food that looked like it was mass produced put on the trays and then wrapped in plastic and then sat for hours. I have heard of friends having food poisoning from here last summer. It was around $20.00, I would not go back

James Bay Tea room on Menzies is always busy and the scones used to be huge and wonderful :) I used to live in James Bay years ago and the food was good and if the crowds are any indication the food is still good.

About a month ago I took a guest to White Heather Tea Room, 1885 Oak Bay Ave closed sunday/Monday open Tues-Sat 10 - 5 250 595 8020. Reservations are required and we saw many people being turned nicely away.

The food and service here were incredible, best high tea I have ever had. The setting isn't nearly as grand or plush as the Empress BUT as soon as the tea and food appears you don't care.

Everything and I mean everything is made from on premises, everything :)

I am not 100% sure of prices but this is within a dollar or two.

The Wee Tea $13:95

Two tea sandwiches, mini cheese scone with chicken tarragon filling, slice of tea loaf and a piece of scottish shortbread.

The Not So wee Tea $16:95

3 Tea sandwiches, scone with preserves and devon cream, mini savoury scone with chicken apple filling, goat cheese and tomato tart, selection of fresh baking.

The big muckle giant tea for two or how many people you have at table $19:95

Selection of tea sandwiches

Scones with preserves and devon cream

mini smoked salmon-cream cheese sconwich with pepper jelly

Goat cheese and tomato tart.

Scottish oatcakes and savoury surpirse of the day, Huge wonderful selection of fresh baking.

All teas served with your selection of teas or coffee

We did the big Muckle for three ate till we couldn't eat anymore and bought home two boxes full of goodies. The food and service really was first rate and for the price WOW An incredible deal :)

It is a ways from downtown but it is well worth the taxi ride out there :)

Afterwards a slow jaunt down Oak Bay Ave village would be tjust the thing :)

Hope this helps :)

quincytoo, I agree that the Empress's tea is expensive and maybe overpriced however obviously legions of people are prepared to pay the price just to have the memory of having tea in the Empress. I know if you were to speak with my 93 year old ML or DW they can tell you about each time they had tea at the Empress and who they were entertaining or who was entertaining them. You pay for the experience and the setting, there is only one Empress!

• 2 weeks later...
quincytoo, I agree that the Empress's tea is expensive and maybe overpriced however obviously legions of people are prepared to pay the price just to have the memory of having tea in the Empress. I know if you were to speak with my 93 year old ML or DW they can tell you about each time they had tea at the Empress and who they were entertaining or who was entertaining them. You pay for the experience and the setting, there is only one Empress!

Kinda what I thought I said at the begining of my post there :)

You want experience and setting go to the Empress and be prepared to pay through the nose for it. Food is mass hotel quality, not too great very expensive. I took my deceased Nana there once a year for many years, we always got the right hand table at the very front, when I walk through there I can still see us sitting there :)

You want an excellant tea at less then half the price, that us Victorians flock to, then go to White Heather Tea Room :)

One of my elder neighbours actually chided me for posting here about the White Heather, "why dear, if you tell cruise shippers about White Heather then when will WE get in??"

She was serious:eek:

Archived