Midtown Manhattan to Bayonne Cruise Terminal

Keith1951

We have a hotel in midtown Manhattan for May 2009. We will be leaving there to go to Bayonne Terminal for a cruise on Explorer of the Seas. We were planning to catch a cab, but were told it is extremely expensive. How expensive can it be for a 20 minute cab ride? If it is too much as I hear, whats the best way to get to the terminal? My wife and I are in our 50's and in good shape, but I think walking is kind of out of the question. We will each have a suitcase on wheels and a carry-on bag. We thought of taking a train or bus, but, will there be room for our luggage? I ask this because I know the NYC transit system can get a little crowded on trains and buses. Thank you.

The problem is that you will be going from New York to NJ and the cabs are unregulated. That is why a car service is recommended. Also, it's probably a 40 minute trip from Manhattan depending on traffic. What day of the week are you going?

Where are you staying in Manhattan? Folks have taken the PATH train from 33rd & 6th to Journal Square Transportation Center in Jersey City and then taken a cab to Bayonne. I'm not sure about getting into PATH at 33rd St. - it may involve some steps down, but Journal Square has elevators and escalators.

The problem is that you will be going from New York to NJ and the cabs are unregulated. That is why a car service is recommended. Also, it's probably a 40 minute trip from Manhattan depending on traffic. What day of the week are you going?

Where are you staying in Manhattan? Folks have taken the PATH train from 33rd & 6th to Journal Square Transportation Center in Jersey City and then taken a cab to Bayonne. I'm not sure about getting into PATH at 33rd St. - it may involve some steps down, but Journal Square has elevators and escalators.

We will be leaving the hotel to go to the terminal about 9am on May 9th, a Saturday. The hotel is at 142 West 49th Street.

I paid $98 from Edison Hotel mid-Manhattan to Cape Liberty Bayonne

and $110 from Cape Liberty Bayonne to JFK at the end of the cruise, that was for two people with two huge bags, two small bags and two carry-ons.

I actually had one taxi want $200 each way and another that wanted to do a tour as well as the ride for $450 on way.

I don't remember the name of the car service I used, it was NYC or something similar, but others have posted, you might try to do "a search this forum". Or you might contact your hotel and see if they could provide you with a private transfer.

Have a great trip!

There are various public transportation options - bus, subway, Path trains, Hudson Light Rail - but they all end with a cab ride.

I think the simplest(not the very cheapest) with luggage would be as follows:

Cab from hotel to Path station - about $10

34 St-Herald Square

Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.

Connections: M4, M5 (NB), M6, M7, M16, M34, Q32; AMTRAK, Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit

Path to Journal Square Transportation Center - $1.75 pp

Cab to the cruise dock - best guess is under $25, but you would have to call Jersey City cab companies.

This is two transfers - 34th St. station has an elevator, which is huge. Journal Square is a transportation center and has elevators and escalators.

None of this would be a problem on a Saturday - it will not be crowded. the Path trains originate at 33rd Street, so you could get a seat at the end with your luggage right by you.

http://www.carmellimo.com/

We stayed in Manhattan last April and used Carmel Limo (link above). We used them to pick us up at the airport in New Jersey and were taken to our hotel in Manhattan and then again from the hotel in Manhattan over to Bayonne. I don't remember the exact price but somewhere around $50.00 pp. from Manhattan to the cruise terminal. We had no problems at all. They were on time at both the airport and to take us a few days later to the cruise terminal.

Archived