Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel

MotherofTrips

My family is planning to go to Paradise Beach while in Cozumel. I have 3 children 6rs old. We would like to have the kids do a dolphin encounter prior to going to Paradise Beach.

Where is the best place to do this that would be convenient to go to Paradise Beach afterwards?

Went to Dolphinaris in Cozumel last week; my friends and I decided to do a dolpin experience on our own, I will tell you how to do this as we had to go through hoops. We got off the ship, talked to a guy in a booth at the cruise port, he quoted us a price of $150 each, he gave us a time, he wanted us to pay him $50 (his commission) and then pay $100 at Dolphinaris, he told us to go out the port past the taxi, go to a building across the street. Well, we decided to just go there to possibly save the cost that we would pay him. We went to the taxi's, told them where we wanted to go; when we got to the Dolphinaris the girl at the desk asked if we were from a cruise ship when we said yes, she said she couldn't sell us a ticket but if we went next door to the Palace Hotel and went to the travel desk they could sell us tickets (something to do with the cruise ships getting their cut) we went next door to a very beautiful Hotel, they sold us tickets for $119 each---I can tell you I have never experienced a more personalized wonderful place such as this. We not only got to pet the dolphins, we got in the water while they swam around us so we could pet them, they kissed our cheek and we even got to ride across the pool on their belly. We later, while having a cold drink and a snack (not included) got to see a group of children having a great time while the dolphins entertained them. There were more trainers then children.

The Dolhinaris has lockers for a charge of $3 each, they take pictures with a good digital camera and also video tape your whole experience of course they are money making venures but totally worth the cost for the memory.

So just take a cab to The Palace Hotel right on the main road toward town, buy your tickets there, save money and have a wonderful time.

How much should the taxi from the port to the Palace Hotel cost? Also, are you sure, from your experience that they will have enough for 2 adults? I have wanted to do this with my grandchildren, but we are alone this time and still want to do it.

Thanks.

The two dolphin places in Cozumel are

1) Dolphin Discovery www.dolphindiscovery.com

2) Dolphinaris http://www.dolphinaris.com/

You can make reservations for both on their website. I do recommend that you make advance reseravations to assure that you aren't disappointed. Sometimes the programs do sell out and the only guarantee is if you make a reservation.

You don't have to go through all that the above poster did if you book in advance. Taxi's are easily obtained right at the end of the pier where you dock and cost $15 to $20. Simply tell the cab driver where you want to go.

I'd thoroughly check out (via the website) what both places offer and then decide which program you want. The Royal Dolphin Swim at DD is AMAZING.

You can choose your swim time leaving yourself plenty of time to do Paradise Beach as well.

We took a cab from the cruise port-$6. We knew nothing about where we were going just knew that it was not the place that was offered as a cruise excursion and found out later from the people on our ship that did go to the other place there were a ton of people and they had less of a personal experience then we did. I would definately do as cruisegram advised, make a reservation. After dolphins at 10:30 and then a drink and snack we then had plenty of time; went to Playa Mia beach napped, lunched and took a short snorkel boat tour.

I did the DolphinDiscovery Royal swim program last February while we were staying on Isla Mujeres. I agree with another poster that it was fabulous - better than other dolphin swim programs we've done.

Here's my question about booking directly with the dolphin site (which is my preference!) instead of through the ship: if our ship is diverted from port due to weather, will the dolphin company rebook our reservations for free? I'm thinking not. Since we're traveling in October I think we could run into rough weather. That means to be safe I'd have to book through the ship. It certainly changes the experience to be herded through the program like a cattle call.

Here's my question about booking directly with the dolphin site (which is my preference!) instead of through the ship: if our ship is diverted from port due to weather, will the dolphin company rebook our reservations for free? I'm thinking not. Since we're traveling in October I think we could run into rough weather. That means to be safe I'd have to book through the ship. It certainly changes the experience to be herded through the program like a cattle call.
This is directly from the FAQ on the Dolphin Discovery (Cozumel) website:

http://www.*****cozumel/cozumel-faqs.asp

I´m traveling by cruise ship. What happens if my boat is delayed, or diverted away from Cozumel or Tortola and I can't participate in my program - do I get a refund?

Yes - if for any reason your cruise ship is delayed, or diverted away from your Dolphin Discovery destination, you will be entitled to a full refund upon verification of the delay/diversion with the cruise line company.

It does not say anything about "only if you book through the ship". So this seems to be their general policy. You can call them toll-free from many places to verify this. Toll Free USA 1-866-393-5158 I really need to find out what they mean by "verification of the delay/diversion with the cruise line company".

It's this policy that is definitely leaning me towards doing Dolphin Discovery vs. Dolphinaris. I cannot find any sort of refund policy anywhere on Dolphinaris' site.

I prefer to book directly with them, also, as it appears that most ships don't offer the Royal Swim as an excursion, and I want to be sure to get that one!

Sayhello

My husband and I just got back from Cozumel and this was our activity of choice. I also agree with some of the other people that have posted regarding tickets. You should definitiely purchase ahead of time whether you book online on their website or with the cruise line. The cruise line will refund you if your ship's itinery changes. Also they will include your cab ride to and from the park in your ticket price as well. You don't want to show up and find out that they are fully booked! We had a great time despite a little bad weather. When we first got there it started raining really hard with thunder and lightening. I was starting to get a little worried because we had aleady paid for our tickets. They told us that the storm should pass shortly and to just be patient....after all they can control a lot of things, but weather is not one of them. They gave us an orientation of what to expect while in the water with the dolphins and some hand signals that would come in handy when we got in the water. Of coarse within about 30 minutes the storm had passed and it was down to a light drizzle. We got our life jacket and mask and went out to the platform. Once we laid eyes on the dolphins we forgot that it was raining! (It stopped raining completely after a few minutes.) You will get the chance to hug and kiss your dolphin as well as being pushed, pulled and swim with them. We fully expected the video of the experience to be pricey, but it was about $40 for and if you got the pictures as well which are hard to say no to then the whole package was $90 total for two people. Well worth a once in a lifetime experience! Definitely something that I would do again.:D

This is directly from the FAQ on the Dolphin Discovery (Cozumel) website:

http://www.*****cozumel/cozumel-faqs.asp

I´m traveling by cruise ship. What happens if my boat is delayed, or diverted away from Cozumel or Tortola and I can't participate in my program - do I get a refund?

Yes - if for any reason your cruise ship is delayed, or diverted away from your Dolphin Discovery destination, you will be entitled to a full refund upon verification of the delay/diversion with the cruise line company.

. . . I really need to find out what they mean by "verification of the delay/diversion with the cruise line company".

It's this policy that is definitely leaning me towards doing Dolphin Discovery vs. Dolphinaris. I cannot find any sort of refund policy anywhere on Dolphinaris' site.

I recently booked a dolphin encounter for me and the kids at Dolphin Discovery. After booking online (which included an online discount for booking 6 or more people), I received an email with the following information:

It is important to check in 30 minutes prior to your booked schedule and provide to front desk this confirmation voucher upon your arrival.

From the main cruise ship dock in Cozumel, take a taxi to the Chankanaab Park and it will take you there in approximately 15 minutes. The park admission fee is included in all our swimming programs for participants only. Companions will be required to pay the admission fee upon arrival. Up to this moment it is US $ 16.00 per adult and US $ 8.00 per child (under 12 years old). This fee is subject to changes without previous notice.

Note to cruise ship passengers: If your ship is diverted or delayed for any reason, causing you to miss your program, you will be charged with a 5% bank transaction fee, as long as we receive by fax or e-mail a copy of the letter (with logo) issued by the cruise stating the situation. That information will be subject to verification with the cruise line.

Note to cruise ship passengers: If your ship is diverted or delayed for any reason, causing you to miss your program, you will be charged with a 5% bank transaction fee, as long as we receive by fax or e-mail a copy of the letter (with logo) issued by the cruise stating the situation. That information will be subject to verification with the cruise line.
Good to know! The website says nothing about a 5% bank transaction fee. And now I know I need a letter with the company logo. Thanks for the info!

Sayhello

Hi Cruisn Gram,

I got the water-camera pictures back from our Dolphin Royal Swim. The quality was awful. Very grainy. The pictures are not half as food as yours. However, we get a kick out of watching our DVD.

ileene

Darn, sorry they didn't run out better for you. I just got lucky I guess. The DVD is great isn't it? :)

CG

Hi CG,

It was my fault because the camera was not fresh, from the store. It had some of last years Hawaii snorkeling pics in it.

There were 10 of us and we had our own group. That's why our DVD was so fantastic.

Enjoy your Dawn Cruise. :)

ileene

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Anyone planning on taking a water camera for the dolphin swims, make sure it's a newly purchased fresh camera.

I believe the push-pull swim is the same as the Royal Swim.

Due to hurricane season, I called DD but I did not make a reservation. We just showed up and we were able to book the Royal Swim without reservations. The Liberty was the only ship in port that day. They refused to give us the internet discounts though. I was told it was a slow day. Due to the cost, I don't think they are that overbooked.

However, I knew we were taking a chance.

I believe the push-pull swim is the same as the Royal Swim.
According to what I've seen, with the push-pull swim, you get pushed through the water by a dolphin while you ride a boogie board. With the Royal Swim, you actually do the foot push, where 2 dolphins push you, standing up, through the water by your feet. I *really* want to do the foot push, so I'm thinking I'll book through them, to get the Royal Swim.

Sayhello

Sayhello,

I think you are correct. We had the two dolphins push us out of the water, during the Royal Swim. I can't believe the children were able to do this. They followed the trainer's directions and kept their feet stiff and straight. The video is awesome.

ileene

Sayhello,

I think you are correct. We had the two dolphins push us out of the water, during the Royal Swim. I can't believe the children were able to do this. They followed the trainer's directions and kept their feet stiff and straight. The video is awesome.

ileene

:D Forget the kids! How about the adults??? I'm not very coordinated at all! Will I have any difficulty doing this?

Sayhello

Thanks for all your feedback.

I spoke to someone from Dolphin Discovery today. Because of their ages she recommended doing the Dolphin Encounter. However, since my 1 son wants to actually "ride" the dolphin, she would allow him to be in the swim adventure.

This is the problem:

As I mentioned I wanted to go to Paradise Beach afterward. The earliest time I could book the Dolphin Encounter is 1:00pm. I can still book my son with the swimadventure at 10:00am. They will also allow my husband to be with my son in the swimadventure at no additional cost since he is paying for the Dolphin Encounter.

Bottom line, It will cost $354.20 for the 2 different encounters and if I want my son to participate in the dolphin encounter as well the total would be $413.15.

Still not sure what to do. We also wanted to rent jetskis and that was the plan for Paradise Beach. Chakanaab Beach does not have jet skis. How is the beach there?

I just made reservations for the encounter directly with Dolphin Discovery for 1 adult and 1 child and with the internet discount it was a total of $123.00 plus my 5 year old gets to participate free. The same excursion on the ship would have been $118 pp ( $354 for the 3 of us) and you can bet that they wouldnt have given the 5 year old free admission/participation..lol.

I realize the ships excurison would have probably included transportation but a cab is prob only about $20 round trip plus tip or less. I am so excited, my 9 year old LOVES dolphins and has been begging me on the last 4 cruises to let her do it and it was just too expensive, so it definately pays to shop around...WOOHOO the discount fairy was awesome today...:)

:D Forget the kids! How about the adults??? I'm not very coordinated at all! Will I have any difficulty doing this?

Sayhello

I was too chicken to do the foot-push. I got two dorsal tows instead. I was very surprised my daughter and grand-daughter (9 yrs) were able to do the foot-push. If your legs are stiff, the dolphins will do all the work. Just follow the trainer's directions.

ileene

I was too chicken to do the foot-push. I got two dorsal tows instead. I was very surprised my daughter and grand-daughter (9 yrs) were able to do the foot-push. If your legs are stiff, the dolphins will do all the work. Just follow the trainer's directions.

ileene

The foot push is the main reason I booked the Royal Swim directly with them rather than the Swim, Push & Pull through the ship. I really want to try it, although it is a bit scary. Guess I'll give it a try!

Thanks,

Sayhello

Archived