Another Baltimore hotel question

jealdaka

We plan to stay at either Renaissance or Marriott Waterfront (not Marriott Inner Harbor/downtown) for a couple of nights before a cruise. One person does not walk long distances a lot so would the Ren be a better choice? I like the Marriott better but maybe the Ren is more convenient. How far from each to a subway or train station? Will we need a taxi to them or are they easily walkable?

I did look a the maps but thought some of you locals may have more "real" information.

This is good timing. I just booked at Marriott last night for 3 nights before we sail on Grandeur Octoberr 30th. I'm going to change to Renaissance based on the construction. Thank you!!

We will be spending a lot of time in DC but decided to skip the car and take the train instead. I don't think it will take any more time and much less hassle.

Signman, do you suggest hiring a car to the pier instead of a taxi? Much difference in cost?

Darkay, when is your cruise?

Actually, I want to take back my comment about the Marriott Waterfront being isolated. Although that was my feeling a couple of weeks ago when I attempted to get there. There actually are lots of shops and restaurants very nearby now in the area known as Harbor East. But there is major major construction all around the hotel - access is somewhat cut off and walking could be a hassle.

I know many folks, myself included, are partial to one particular brand, either because of frequent guest plans or credit card affinity programs, but you might want to check out the brand new (open about 2 weeks) Hilton Convention Center Hotel on Pratt Street, adjacent to Oriole Park. There might be some good deals to be had in the first weeks of operartion.

Actually, I want to take back my comment about the Marriott Waterfront being isolated. Although that was my feeling a couple of weeks ago when I attempted to get there. There actually are lots of shops and restaurants very nearby now in the area known as Harbor East. But there is major major construction all around the hotel - access is somewhat cut off and walking could be a hassle.

I know many folks, myself included, are partial to one particular brand, either because of frequent guest plans or credit card affinity programs, but you might want to check out the brand new (open about 2 weeks) Hilton Convention Center Hotel on Pratt Street, adjacent to Oriole Park. There might be some good deals to be had in the first weeks of operartion.

signman....I'm so glad you took back your comment because I was just at Harbor East yesterday. ;) Even during the day, the construction by the Marriott (for the new Four Seasons hotel) wasn't deafening and they stopped construction precisely at 5pm, although I can't guarantee this happens every day. At the Marriott location, you don't even need transportation because everything, restaurants, bars, shops, gym, movie theaters, Whole Foods, is within walking distance. The brand new Hilton Convention Center would also be convenient to Harborplace.

http://www.harboreast.com/

Now I'm really confused!!! :confused:

I can get Marriott or Renaissance for exactly the same price so that doesn't help.(Can't touch Hilton for the same thing!) Both are great hotels. I think we have decided to not even rent a car but just take a train to DC for our sightseeing there. SOooo- will one of these be much better than the other to get around? All we need is to get to the hotel (probably taxi from BWI) and then get back and forth to the train or subway. I've not looked at those yet but will this week. We'll want to be able to walk to dinner and just do a bit of sightseeing. We'll get a car to the pier (thanks Signman!).

I guess it's really not a big deal as it seems either will be fine.

Either will be fine. The Marriott's much newer, on the water and in a less touristy area. The Renaissance is directly across the street from Harborplace and is near all the "action". It is closer to the pier by approximately half a mile. Basically, it's a toss up and dependent on your preferences. Out of the 2, the Marriott Waterfront would be the hotel I would recommend to my out of town friends. ;)

http://www.baltimore.to/Maps/index.html?latitude=39.284157519735786&longitude=-76.60989761352539&zoom=2&name=Baltimore-Inner-Harbor

Archived