GPS on a cruise

Z'Loth

Recently took a new Garmin eTrex Legend...hoping to capture the nightly cruising paths.....but very hard to keep a signal.

Our balcony on RCI Jewel Deck 9, had a full metal overhang that was the balcony of Deck10. While I could keep some signal by clipping the unit to the back of a chair, and placing the chair near the rail...that only worked 50% or less.

From the upper deck it was great to see position, speed, etc. But I was more interested in seeing the actual nightly track once I got back home.

• 2 months later...

We just took our GPS unit on our cruise and it was a blast having it along! We could always tell our speed and location, and it was fun tracking our path home and comparing it to thr track on the way south. I am a GIS analyst, so have all the cool software, but here is some neat free software and background data you can use with a Garmin laptop and download cable.

To create shapefiles from your Garmin data:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html

Software to view the shapefiles:

http://www.esri.com/software/arcexplorer/index.html

Baseline data (background files):

http://www.geographynetwork.com/maps/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival had a channel dedicated to showing us where we were, distance traveled, speed, etc. but it was a pain in the arse since I had an inner cabin and couldnt see us outside. They had a light-up map on one of the decks that was like a map with little lights to show us where we were but it was broken the whole time, so when I saw lights (on islands) at night in the distance, there was no way for me to know where I was or what I was lookin at. If you have one it's a good idea to bring it if you'd like to know where you are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if microsoft streets and trips would work at sea? My dad bought the one that comes with the gps device for his laptop. any ideas?

I don't think there are any streets out on international waters...? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

That would be my thought, too. Of course I don't have a GPS unit yet, so I don't know for sure!

Does anybody have a favorite GPS unit to recommend for about $150 or less? I'm looking to get one!

Any of your standard portable GPS units must have a direct line of sight to the satellites (read: sky). It can be through glass, but it cannot be through opaque material. Do you have a balcony? You can probably set your GPS up to look through your balcony door. Same might be possible on an outside cabin (tape to window?), I don't know. But you most definitely would not have GPS service in an inside cabin.

That would be my thought, too. Of course I don't have a GPS unit yet, so I don't know for sure!

Does anybody have a favorite GPS unit to recommend for about $150 or less? I'm looking to get one!

Check out the Magellan eXplorist series. We picked up the 200 last year (entry level model) as a starter GPS and really like it. While you'll have to do all the mapping on-line (mapquest or google earth) and load your own waypoints, you'll also learn a lot along the way by doing it yourself (we sure did!). Now that we're hooked, I think the next purchase will be the Magellan Gold.

Have fun!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to mapping software with maps of Central America and the Caribbean that I can use with my equipment.

Any Help would be appreciated !!:cool:

I took my Garmin GPS III with me on our Panama Canal cruise last year. I've had it about six years, and I think its maps are c. 1990, but they are built into the unit. Outside the USA, I don't have any roads other than the major highways. My unit also happens to show railroad tracks. I use it more for general navigation (like a visual compass) than to give me specific directions to a place.

Anyway, you might check with Garmin to see if they have maps you could download to your unit. I know that some of the newer handheld units can be updated manually with data from CDs you can purchase from Garmin. Maybe the CDs can be used to update non-Garmin units also. My unit is old enough that I would have to send it in to have the maps updated or changed for a different area. However, even my old maps show the coastline and lat-long very well.

P.S. If you are traveling more than 500 miles from your usual location, remember to turn on your GPS periodically and let it find the satellites. If you move a long distance from the last place you used it, the unit can become confused about where it is and require you to recalibrate, which can be a lengthy process.

and in thye room sometimes the reception was iffy so he just strapped the unit to the deck chair at night and it worked great.

GPS reception relies on a network of satellites. The unit needs to have a view of the sky to see them. You need a clear view of at least four satellites for 3D positioning (i.e. including altitude) There are 32 (I think) satellites, but only some of them are visible in your sky at any given time, and their positions change, so you might get better reception at some times than others, even when you're outside. If your balcony is covered, remember to aim the antenna out toward the horizon. I've used mine in ocean-view rooms and on the train, but you have to hold it right up to the window to get a lock on the satellites.

Has anyone discovered any good software for Garmin units (specifically the 60C) that will cover the Caribbean? I don’t need a lot of accuracy on land, but would like to know how far we’ve gone, what island I’m looking at on the horizon, etc. DH has that Garmin unit, and I’d love to surprise him with software as a pre-cruise gift.

Will the pre-loaded maps that came with it be good enough? I don’t have it on me now, so I haven’t really looked too carefully at what came with it. We have City Select for North America, but I don’t think that will cover us in the Caribbean.

I just bought the Garmin 60CS (received it yesterday 8/17). Also bought City Select North America V6. When I unlocked V6 lastnight, was given the right to upgrade to V7. Garmin is mailing me the new CD version 7 free.

Kate, City Select will not get you into the Caribe much lower than Cozumel. I did however buy BlueChart Americas. This unit will take you from the U.S. to South America. (including Hawaii and Alaska)

Question. Does anyone know of a web site devoted to Cruise junkies with GPS units? Or just a site for beginers.

DelRio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used my magellan (or maggie as we call her) to track a princess cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Mexico and back. Was really neat to really see where we were when going by Cuba. Since we had a Jr Suite w/ balcony "seeing" the sky was not a problem.

Was one more thing to make my geek heart happy :=).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived