GPS on a cruise

Z'Loth

Fret not for QM. Her radio room simply changed call signs. She now houses W6RO. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll have time to visit her while I'm in the area. But I will be able to visit K6AA, located in the LA Maritime Museum, right across the street from where I'm staying before boarding Summit.

And I remember the first HAL ship I saw. Veendam was at Grand Cayman the first time I was there. When you mentioned the noise that startled you, I thought you were going to mention how a HAL ship drops anchor--at least the way Veendam did--RUMBLE, CLANK, SCRAPE--Real chains against real steel! It reverberated through the harbor. The first time I had heard that sound, I was aboard an overnight anchoring in Korfu (Egnatia, early 70's). Talk about an alarm clock!

Veendam's racket was very reassuring to know that some ships still anchor like they should!

Have any of you taken an HT with you? I've got an older Yaesu 2m/6m rig that I might take with me. I'm just a lowly tech, no code yet. One of these days, I'll learn the code so I can extend my privileges, to match the experience the Navy taught me in electronics. Today just isn't the day though. I've been trying to figure out if there's a portable GPS that I can use when I'm flying, and when I'm driving. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks for the time.

Wraithe

Never occurred to me to bring an HT along - for one thing, mine doesn't have a whole lot of oomph to it, and also aren't rules complicated for transmitting while in other countries? I might be wrong, but I think I remember you have to get a permit to transmit in certain other areas.

I have always taken a HT--but I have never transmitted. I like to monitor Marine chatter in harbors. And on my next cruise--12 days and counting--I want to compare WWV's signals on various frequencies, to those of WWVH, using a TH-F6 and Miracle Duck. By the way, I was skeptical about the claims of the latter, but--good heavens--what a difference!

Part 97.11 is probably the shortest of FCC's Rules, but they require that the Master of the Vessel in question approve any Amateur installation aboard. There is no exemption for a "shack on a belt." And international maritime law limits the Master's authority to what pertains to the vessel. So, his permission alone does not constitute licensing authority. In other words, on a vessel of foreign registry--which is all but 2 cruise ships in the US--a good precursor to even asking permission to operate aboard would be license issued by the vessel's country of registry. That can be a lot of paperwork and fees to bet on a chance the man will still say no.

So the best bet is to enjoy the cruise, enjoy what you can hear, but don't touch the PTT--strong as the urge may be.

As far as a good GPS, it depends. They don't make mine anymore, Garmin eMap. Whatever you get, you also want some kind of active antenna. It can make the difference between

"Satellite reception lost" and a position report.

I've carried a handheld GPS unit since my first in '97. Always had fun with it checking position, speed, etc. Always fun watching the expressions of the crew when you ask them why we've slowed down from 20 knots to 17.5 knots and they walk away scratching their heads. GPS units are much more common place today with pax but it's still fun watching where you're at on the map. For those who have asked, I would recommend the Garmin units. I've had 5 units over the years and Garmin always seemed to shine over the others, IMHO. My latest is one of the Garmin RINO's. You get a good GPS as well as a FRS/GMRS radio in one.

• 2 weeks later...
I always take my GPS with me. It has helped me many times to get around. And it is interesting to see where you are when you're at sea. I don't check it too often when cruising so the better half doesn't get too mad. It's fun though.

• 3 months later...
Our Garmin Street Pilot GPS was well worth the investment. Have had it 3 years. We use it on commercial flights (nice to see what towns/cities/roads are below and check out how fast the plane is going), cruises--especially like it sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and heading down around the tip of Cuba towards Jamacia and the Panama Canal, rental cars, and road trips in my Corvette (our LEXUS has a GPS).

[quote=Z'Loth]Any thoughts of using a GPS unit on a cruise? I'm thinking of getting one for a Mexican cruise to make it easier to get back to the ship should I decide not to take a ship-sponsored tour.[/quote]

;) [B][COLOR=magenta]since you like gadgets might as well get it and take it with you & see how it goes....no excuses about getting lost at least ;) [/COLOR][/B]

Archived