Belize for kids?

Donnask8pro

After much research, we have decided to do the Catamaran Snorkel tour to Rendezvous Key with our 4 year old. It's only a 3.5 hour excursion, it's a big catamaran so the ride over should be relatively smooth (compared to the smaller boats that go to CayeCaulker), the trip allows snorkelers to snorkel a beautiful reef area and non-snorkelers to wade to shore to sit on a beautiful sandy beach with soda/water available. It works for all of us in my family. My son is too young for the cave tubing or deeper snorkeling trips. Caye Caulker does not have sandy beaches for him to sit and play. We are booking through the cruise line because I cannot find an independent operator and that's fine. We also did not want to take any trip that required a long bus ride so the ruins were all out of the question. It should be fun.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure what to do while in Belize. We will have our 6 and 8 year old girls with us, so the deep water snorkeling trips are out of the question. I don't think they could handle an hour long ride in a bus to the ruins either. And the zoo is something they do at home all of the time, so it doesn't excite them. We are all beach bums and normally just hang out at a beach, but Belize doesn't have any.:( I've read up on Coral Sands but it has rough crushed coral instead of normal sand which isn't too appealing, especially since they normally spend their time at the beach building sandcastles. We would love to do the cave tubing but I don't think they allow kids this young to go. I'm not sure there is anything special for us to do there except eat and shop. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for a family of four in Belize?

We went on a RCCL cruise this past Feb and our first port of call was Belize we brough our 3 kids 9,6,5 at the time and I would never do it again. There is really not much to do in Belize very boring if yo don't do an excursion which we did not do one. Well we ran into some drunks who are from Belize while we were walking around shopping and 2 of them starting cussing at the ppl from the cruise saying get off my f#@$%^& sidewalk and this and that. We turned right around and head back for the next tender going back to the ship. I know its not what u wanted to hear , but I just waned to tell u our story.Good Luck

We just came back from Belize and booked a tour with BelizeRays snorkeling to Goff's Caye. And that was a great beach. There were some younger kids on board but I don't know what the minimum age would be. I know if you didn't want to snorkel they dropped the snorkelers off and went to the beach and waited for them to catch up. So that could be something to look into. Try their website and e-mail them a question. belizerays.com They were very nice.

Thanks for the suggestion transit, I think booking an excursion will be the way to go.;) My problem is finding out which excursion to book. Many of the excursions include long rides in a tour bus or taking a long water taxi ride out to one of the cayes. I don't think a long ride in a tour bus would be the best way to go with two young kids along. We'll probably book some type of tour to one of the cayes like goff's caye or ambergis caye. It may be a long ride but at least it's on the water. I don't want to end up being disappointed with my time in Belize like "dolphins" did. :( I think if I didn't book some type of excursion I would be pretty bored.

We are just back from Belize and took the kids 9, 11, 14 and 16 cave tubing with Marvin. Very glad we opted not to take the four year old and six year old. We considered hiring an extra guide to look after the girls and to have them come too... decided not to and glad of it. The nine year old had many hurdles along the way that wouldn't have been good for the younger girls. He did love it, just lots of things happened that would have much more challenging for the two little ones.

• 1 month later...

The week before Christmas we were on a Carnival cruise and decided to book an excursion on our own through Belize Cruise Excursions. They are a very reputable agency. We have a 7 year old boy and decided to try horseback riding through the jungle spa excursion since they allowed smaller children. It was my sons first time on a horse and since it was just the three of us, the guide let him ride a horse by himself. He absolutely loved it. The guide was very good with him and also pointed out many interesting things during the ride.

A guide from Belize Excursions will drive you out to the spa which was a little long for my 7 year-old. He got real bored, but for my husband and I, it was very, very interesting. Make sure you ask for a driver named Griffith. It just amazed us how much knowledge he has and is willing to share with you. He is very friendly and stays at the resort the whole time you are there.

The resort is absolutely beautiful but don't expect to play with monkeys. We had a drink and nachos for lunch and the food was very good. We had a table in what you might think of as a very large tree house, very nice setting.

We did not do any spa treatments but everything else (except the long ride out there for my son) was great, especially for the price.

Archived