Returned On Dawn 8/31-9/7

SeptCruzer

To try to answer some questions on other threads:

1. Cell phone service - please note that there is a service charge when using a cell phone while at sea (to cover using the ship's satellite?). We use a Tracfone and on land in Canada, we got a "no service - for emergency use only." It worked while on land at all of the other US ports, though. Because of the service charge, our family knew we wouldn't be phoning while at sea or in Canada - after all, we're on vacation! But seriously, of course they knew how to reach us in an emergency.

2. Boston - the port is far to walk into the city. You can purchase shuttle tickets for $15 per person, round-trip. Sales people are available once inside the volumnous empty building once you disembark. We took the Freedom Walk Trail, $39, figuring if we had to pay $15 anyway to get into the city to start our own walking touring, it was well worth it. BTW, the tour was excellent. It ended at Quincy Market and we were given a ticket to ride the shuttle back to the bus (included in the original ticket price.)

3. Dining on the Dawn - we found it very misleading in all of the NCL publicity which said some of the specialty restaurants have a service charge. ALL of the specialty restaurants: Cagney's (steakhouse), LeBistro (French), Impressions (Italian), Bambo & Sushi & Teppanyaki (Asian), Salsa (Tex-Mex), have a service charge. A couple we knew had terrible food and service in Cagney's and the service charge is $25pp. We ate at Salsa on Friday evening - no reservations - about 6:30. Excellent service. Caution, though, while we were used to dining in the Venetian, we always ordered an appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert. The portions were small enough to enjoy all. In Salsa, the portions are bigger, so beware. Salsa special restaurant was great! Venetian large, beautiful views from many windows, food very good most of the time, but service rather slow. We left a couple of nights before dessert because it was so slow. We usually dined early, 5:30-6:30 and had no wait, but when we left, usually at least an hour later, there was a wait - an an unpleasant one because there is nowhere to sit - just stand in the hall or sit on the steps - no lounge close by. We found the Garden Cafe (buffet) fine for our early morning breakfasts and, usually, late lunches (around 2:00). We didn't experience any problems finding a place to sit, etc.

4. NCL freestyle dining vs other cruise lines? We have only cruised Carnival (4 times) and we miss the fixed seating times with other people to visit with during dinner and building a rapport with the server and assistant.

We recently returned from the Dawn.

The specialty restaurants food, was excellent for us.

My only complaint is Cagney's. The service was very poor. I had finished my baked potato when the butter, sour cream was offered. Most of our sides were delivered by the time we had eaten 3/4 of our meat (which was delicious I must say). My brotherinlaw received his creamed spinach, just before his last bite of steak.

We were a group of 7 adults, but really that is no excuse. They definitely needed more hands in the kitchen.

On the opposite side of spectrum, Impressions service was quite possibly the best service I have ever received in ANY restaurant, seas or land. What an excellent job they did for us and our children:) and rewarded for same.

thanks for your info, but can you tell me where you make the reservations and can you do it the first day when you embark and I assume you are not charged until you actually dine there.....leaving next Sunday and we usually have the first couple aboard make reservations for spa, dining, etc so trying to get our "ducks in a row"....

Marthatravels - I asked my daughterinlaw, as she was the one who did all our specialty reservations.

She said, as soon as she got on the ship she made our Teppanyaki reservations for that evening. We ate at earliest time possible, as we were travelling with 2 young children.

She did ALL reservations by phone.

We used the Venetian 2x in between specialty, so she called the day before we wanted a certain restaurant. We never were disappointed.

We were balcony cabins, not sure if this timing or doing it by phone was any part of the new 2.0 enhancements. I do know that in the main area of ship(sorry didn't take notice of deck), but I think it was near the Purser area, there was a table setup with a person who took reservations. It was clearly marked as specialty restaurant reservations desk.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

The reservation desk is located on deck seven, in front of the Java Cafe and the scale model of the Dawn. The Information counter is right across from the restaurant reservations desk.

When we sailed on the Dawn in July, we found the girls on the reservations desk to be very helpful and did everything they could to take care of everyone.

There was quite a line when we first got on the ship so we waited until the next morning and found no one in line and we still got reservations for all the restaurants.

We found the food to be very good in all of the restaurants that we ate in.

We ate in all of them with the exception of sushi and teppinyaki.

Venetian large, beautiful views from many windows, food very good most of the time, but service rather slow. We left a couple of nights before dessert because it was so slow. We usually dined early, 5:30-6:30 and had no wait, but when we left, usually at least an hour later, there was a wait - an an unpleasant one because there is nowhere to sit - just stand in the hall or sit on the steps - no lounge close by.

"The Pearly Kings Pub" is right around the corner from the Venetian;)

We recently returned from the Dawn.

My only complaint is Cagney's. The service was very poor. I had finished my baked potato when the butter, sour cream was offered. Most of our sides were delivered by the time we had eaten 3/4 of our meat (which was delicious I must say). My brotherinlaw received his creamed spinach, just before his last bite of steak.

We were a group of 7 adults, but really that is no excuse. They definitely needed more hands in the kitchen.

I agree, a table of 7 is no excuse.

From our experience with Cagney's, the waiter/waitress has an assistant who takes care of your "side" orders so I don't think it was the kitchen.

Hope they didn't do away with the assistants:confused:

They weren't on the Dawn as of 9/6/08.

Happy Cruising

Really??? I asked a guy on our roll call who just sailed on her (I thought it was the same week you're talking about) and he assured me thay had added them. I guess I'll find out for sure in a few weeks. :D

I'm going on the Dawn to Canada/Bar Harbor on Sunday.

Questions:

1. Is the Venetian open for lunch the boarding day? Others on this board indicate that it is.

2. Did you do anything in Halifax that you would recommend?

Observation/it is really too bad that NCL maybe doesn't go to a non reservation policy? I really don't know the answer for them. We have sailed with them 5 times and each time the reservation issue has become worse.

On Gem last February trying to make/get a reservation any where was impossible. Plus a few of the hostesses were just plain rude. This doesn't inhance the vacation.

I chalked it up to new ship and glitches and we ate in regular restaurants and all was fine.

We loved Salsa on the Dawn however it was not a pay restaurant the previous 2 times we sailed.

Think this cruise I am going to avoid pay restaurants unless making reservation is easier than it was on the Gem.

I'm going on the Dawn to Canada/Bar Harbor on Sunday.

Questions:

1. Is the Venetian open for lunch the boarding day? Others on this board indicate that it is.

2. Did you do anything in Halifax that you would recommend?

Observation/it is really too bad that NCL maybe doesn't go to a non reservation policy? I really don't know the answer for them. We have sailed with them 5 times and each time the reservation issue has become worse.

On Gem last February trying to make/get a reservation any where was impossible. Plus a few of the hostesses were just plain rude. This doesn't inhance the vacation.

I chalked it up to new ship and glitches and we ate in regular restaurants and all was fine.

We loved Salsa on the Dawn however it was not a pay restaurant the previous 2 times we sailed.

Think this cruise I am going to avoid pay restaurants unless making reservation is easier than it was on the Gem.

We were on the 08/31 Dawn cruise to Canada/NE. The Venetian was open for lunch on day of boarding. As for Halifax, we took a tour to Peggy's Cove; although beautiful be aware it could be very crowded once you are at the lighthouse. I am sure there is much more helpful info on the Ports board. I also wrote a lengthy review of our trip which is now on page 5 of this board if you are interested.

Just walking the Harbor Walk is nice and a walk up to the Citadel is doable, but a hefty up-hill climb. Nice views of the harbor from there. We sailed on the tall ship Mar II - a nice experience if the weather is good and you've never been on that size of sailing ship. The day we were there it started out beautiful and sunny, but by the time of the 11:30 a.m. sailing it became cloudy, but there was a good wind and it made for a good sail. Even though the young crew said it wasn't supposed to be a "guided tour," they did provide a lot of information about Halifax and were more than willing to answer questions and talk.

Archived