Onboard gifts

timothy998

I'm traveling with my family in March on Westerdam, Eastern Caribbean. We will have two connecting cabins and am considering some modest things like the roses for my wife at $44, and/or the Bon Voyage or Anchors Away bouquets. Any other suggestions for modest gifts, please? Our kids will be 3, 7 & 10 when we sail.

were you thinking of doing only onboard gifts from the HAL site or bringing a couple things with you? this may adjust the answers that you get.

We are travelling in January and for Christmas we have asked for onboard credit from family (when asked what we would like ;) ) it comes in many denominations and we would like to put it towards massages on a port day. as they tend to offer discounts instead of full price those days.

For the kids I remember my daughter (3 at the time) enjoyed the night at the kids club they did the build a bear shop

Our kids got some cute gifts from our TA when they were little. They also got some pretty cute stuff in Club HAL that we did not pay extra for. That said, they haven't been in Club HAL for a few years. :)

I think it's a great idea to send little gifts to the kids to be waiting in the cabin when you board. Have you looked at everything available through HAL? I seem to recall a decent selection of reasonably priced items... you can always call ship's services too.

I've been able to download the "onboard gifts" list from the HAL website, but am not sure if that's a comprehensive list. They do have a bear and a toy ship...we may leave those sorts of things for them to choose, but wanted something upon arrival in the cabins. The strawberries certainly look good!

You might also check with your TA - I'm not sure if the downloaded list includes everything. You can try calling HAL Ship Services - I don't have the number handy, but I think it's easy enough to find if you don't have it.

Thank you again, everyone for the helpful hints. I like the bon voyage package idea with balloons & streamers for the kids & champagne for DW & me! I think I'll still surprise her with the roses in the cabin, then get t-shirts, etc for the kids during the cruise when they can choose what they prefer. They are pretty well-grounded kids and don't usually pester us with the "gimme gimmee wanna's" all the time, so we'll let them each choose something special once we're on the cruise. Our cruise isn't until March (Westerdam 22nd-29th March) but we're all very excited. :)

Thank you again, everyone for the helpful hints. I like the bon voyage package idea with balloons & streamers for the kids & champagne for DW & me! I think I'll still surprise her with the roses in the cabin, then get t-shirts, etc for the kids during the cruise when they can choose what they prefer. They are pretty well-grounded kids and don't usually pester us with the "gimme gimmee wanna's" all the time, so we'll let them each choose something special once we're on the cruise. Our cruise isn't until March (Westerdam 22nd-29th March) but we're all very excited. :)

I hope you enjoy the cruise.

You didn't mention which cabins you were in. This could be important in your gift selection.

On the last 2 cruises I've been in a standard outside cabin. In both cases, I've ordered roses and either champagne or white wine.

The roses were a nice touch and appreciated, but had to be moved throughout the cruise to make room for breakfast trays or to use the desk. The champagne / wine was delivered warm and required chasing down someone to bring an ice bucket to chill - not drinkable for a while. If you do get the champagne, bring along a bottle stopper suitable for champagne (a wine store will carry these) so it doesn't go flat.

I ordered either a Bon Voyage or Anchors Aweigh bouquet for friends who were on a 14 day cruise, and the flowers lasted perfectly for 10 days, then started to die. The bouquet itself was quite low and compact, fitting in their room without difficulty. My concern with roses (though I love them) is that they can stick out and can grab at you. With 3 small children the roses may be more a hazard than a pleasure, especially if they get knocked over a couple of time.

The champagne / wine was delivered warm and required chasing down someone to bring an ice bucket to chill - not drinkable for a while.

I'm sorry to hear this - I think this must be the exception rather than the norm. We always get gifts of Champagne - sometimes we've had three ice buckets with bottles waiting for us when we've arrived, lol! We drink the one we prefer and have the steward take the other bucket(s) away.

When I want him to chill one during the voyage - I put it in the empty bucket and he fills it with ice when he makes up the room in the morning.

They shouldn't expect anyone to receive an unchilled bottle of Champagne as a gift... :confused: someone dropped the ball, I think.

They shouldn't expect anyone to receive an unchilled bottle of Champagne as a gift... :confused: someone dropped the ball, I think.

Possibly, but 2 different cruises, 2 different ports and 2 different ships? Neither had a particularly hectic turn around, both were docked before the scheduled arrival (I could see them from the hotel). No code reds or other obvious impediments (boarding went as scheduled). I'm glad your experience differs, it should be that way all the time for everyone.

Archived