school and cruising

sac2

I so agree! We are leaving for a two week holiday and cruise this Thursday :)

We have pulled our children out of school for a week for the last 18 years, and our 20 year old was on the honour roll and now is in University, missing a week of school each year never interferred with his studies nor does it with our youngest, we make sure all the work is done, often times they come back ahead of the class.

Have repeatly spoken to all of our 16 year old son's teachers thus have all of his schoolwork lined up and waiting to go :)

Just got off the phone from talking to the VP of his school and she said, "Go have a great time with your son and husband, school will be here when you get back" :)

Excuse the typos I just took a cough/cold med. LOL can you believe I am getting sick two days before we leave?? Last year second day into our vacation I came down with a bad bout of pneumonia.... interesting to see what I get this time LOL :cool:

Yikes!! Good luck!! You know, I've heard that the ultimate cold fix is to drink a big glass of hard liquor (it varies from teller to teller) and then see what's what when you wake up... ha ha ha ha ha Seriously though, get some ecchinacea, eat some chicken soup, and try some Cold FX. Nothing may help at this point, but you never know!! If all else fails, I recommend DayQuil in the liquigel form. I find they completely knock out cold symptoms for me without making me drowsy.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• 4 weeks later...

Got back from our cruise early Friday, had a great time, major family bonding to last a long time, Nathan choose not to participate in the teen's club instead hung out with us almost 24/7, which we enjoyed.

Notes from all of his teachers today say all schoolwork is completed and he is doing fine :)

I was a little worried this trip as he did not seem to devote as much time to schoolwork as in previous years, but completed it all he did and he is not behind.

After reading all the posts I can only say how grateful I am in to be living in Canada where all levels of our schools encourage and make it possible for families to indulge in family vacations resulting in memories that will last a lifetime

In Maryland, where I live, there is no way you can take your child out of school for vacation.

I have gone through this with my son's principal. I wanted to "home school" him for two weeks this winter because there was a great deal on a European-Transatlantic cruise. She said that it was illegal for me to do this and I would have to withdraw him from school if I wanted to do this.

So be sure to find out the school policy.

We took our kids on a cruise that left 10-26-08. My kids (11 & 6) have been on one other cruise 2 years ago. This time DD (11) is in the 6th grade so it was a little different - but not too bad. We let the administrators know when school started in August when we would be gone. DD's teachers worked with me to make sure I had all of the work lined up. We worked about an hour a day on the cruise doing homework and studying. She actually went back to school ahead of the class. She had end of term tests to take when she returned and she did really well.

DS (6) didn't recieve any work to take with him. But, he is in the outreach program at the elementary school. He is always reading (reads at a 4th grade level) or doing math (is currently learning multiplication). So, the teacher wasn't worried about him missing anything.

My friend took her kids (9 & 5) on the same cruise. She is in the same school system - different school. Their teachers didn't send anything to study - but expected the girls to take the tests they missed when they returned. We tried to work with the 9 yr old - but not knowing what she would have been doing it was really a futile exercise.

My take on the whole taking kids out of school thing is - if you work with the teachers and know what your child is going to be missing it can work out just fine. It does take some work on your part and some understanding on the teachers part.

DD (13YO, Seventh grade) will miss 3 days around TGiving. She brought in the excused absence form Tuesday -- she's already handed in her Science and Social Studies make up work and finished the book that they will be working on for reading. Nothing from Language Arts. Her math teacher photocopied the pages she will miss with the problems she needs to do highlighted -- knowing her she'll have them done over the weekend and will hand them in Monday (she LOVES math)

I know my kid. She is VERY motivated. Late Autumn is about the only "good" time in her schedule for us to travel. She's got marching band and sports practices most other times of the year.

Archived