Bring your own snorkel gear AND life vests?

honkanen

Do you guys bring your own snorkel gear and life vests? We're going to bring our snorkel and fins but not sure about our life vests... We're not the most experienced snokelers or swimmers but I imagine we can just float anyway without a vest. Not sure...

Yes, I think i mean snorkel vest. We're not going on a snorkel tour/excursion though. Just from shore on our own in Cozumel and Roatan.

Shore snorkeling usually doesn't require a snorkel vest but if you feel better, have younger children or are not a good swimmer you might want to pick up some for your party (if some of your party are comfortable in the water and can float (which most people can in the ocean) then you might just pick up one or two for when people get tired or they want the comfort of wearing one. They really fold down small and you can just place them on the bottom on the inside of your luggage and they'll survive the trip with no problems.

Randall

We always take our own masks, snorkels and now we just purchased fins (short, packable ones) when we go. As far as vests, I only wear one if it is required, but I'm an extremely strong swimmer and we generally don't go too far out. My husband will go without if we are in less than 8' of water. If we go deeper, or swim for a long distance to get to a reef, he prefers to have on.

I would suggest wearing one if you have one.

• 2 weeks later...

Both the hubby and I are avid snorkelers and good swimmers but we always wear our vest and for more than one reason. We want to be seen by the boaters and jet skiers (ours are bright yellow) and our vest have pockets big enough for the camera, underwater flashlight and our water wallets. We purchased our off of ebay for about 35.00 each and are very happy we did.

This past trip we visited a cenote in Tulum and since it is spring water you are not as buoyant, so our vest allowed us to float easily so you did not have to stand on the rocks.

The previous poster brings up a good point, about the vest adding to your visibility. Wearing the vest is sort of like a wearing a parachute in an airplane you probably will not need it, but in the outside chance you do it is nice to have along. I always deflate my vest prior to getting in the water, and I always wear a rash guard or t-shirt when we snorkel, so I really don't even notice the vest. You guys must have nicer snorkel vests than the rental ones, the camera pocket would be handy. I wish my BC had bigger pockets since my camera is a really snug fit, I usually end up just clipping it on since it is easier to deal with underwater.

Archived