Costa Maya and Beach Break review with lots of pics!

cyrus360

You can see my full cruise review here. It's pretty long and has tons of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=94707

Costa Maya, Mexico:

This was the last port we were to visit on our cruise. We had booked the Beach Break Party through http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ We booked it for 2 adults with 2 lobster and shrimp platters and a Mexican platter. This included beach access, chairs, and an open bar for about $110.

Once again, this port required no tender. They provide a small trolley to transverse the pier which brings you to the main entrance to the shopping area and transportation.

costamaya1.jpg

costamaya2.jpg

costamaya3.jpg

costamaya4.jpg

costamaya7.jpg

We wandered through the mall area and grabbed a taxi to the fishing village of Mahahual. It cost $3 per person one way. It was a short 5 minute ride to the village. The website says the cabbie drops you off a few blocks from the bar you meet at called Pez Quadro, but if you request it, they will drop you off right in front. That wasn’t the case. The cabbie refused and told us to take a hike so to speak.

I didn’t mind it much though. It was really humid and hot and gorgeous out. A few of the vendors were up and about, but not many so it was a quiet walk. It was more like 6 blocks away from the taxi drop off spot. Along the way we were greeting by quite a few stray dogs. They all to be of a smilar breed, sort of a Jack Russell terrier style. All very cute, very friendly, very hungry and wanting love and attention. I started to pet one a bit and he followed us all the way to the bar. He was sooo cute.

costapuppy1.jpg

costapuppy2.jpg

costapuppy3.jpg

costapuppy4.jpg

The bar was easy to find, on the left side of the road right at the beachfront.

pezquadro.jpg

We showed the guy working the bar our reservation print outs and I owed him $84 for the balance of the excursion. I gave him $100 but he said he had no change to give since it was early, even though I saw him giving change to other people who were there drinking already. I let it slide…for the moment.

They tied a blue band around our wrists and directed us to 2 cushioned lounge chairs mere feet from the waters edge. The water looked great and had some patches of sea grass which you could walk over, or swim through the man made channels to more open water.

beachbreak1.jpg

beachbreak2.jpg

beachbreak3.jpg

beachbreak4.jpg

beachbreak11.jpg

We got a few pina coladas to get the party started. They were tasty, and much better than the ones aboard the ship. We got some water for our puppy friend which he happily drank up like crazy. He was so funny, that whenever anyone walked by us he would bark at them, warning them to keep away from his new found family.

After sunning ourselves for a bit, we hit the water. It was perfect. Though you should be careful because there was a lot of jagged coral pieces buried in the sand along with some slow walking pointy sea urchins. Luckily they were pitch black and in shallow water where you can see them. Though my girlfriend didn’t see it and might’ve stepped right on it, had I not warned her. We swam for a while and went back to roast under the sun a while longer.

We debated getting her hair braided by the staff there or getting a massage by them, but they were overcharging by double. In the village there were tons of massage joints charging $35 for 1 hour whereas this place was charging $60 an hour. The village had women offering braids for $10 and they were charging $30. Needless to say, they only had 1 customer in the 5 or 6 hours we were there.

Since they never mentioned anything about when mealtime was, I hunted down one of the operators to ask him about it, as well as my change he owed me. He explained that all I had to do was tell him when we wanted it and whether we wanted to eat by the water or in the restaurant. We opted for the patio area near the restaurant. I asked if they could have it ready in an hour and he said no problem. Then I asked for my $16. He had no clue what I was talking about. He was Italian and English was not his forte. When he finally got the gist of it he gave me $4. I told him he owed me $12 more. It was like trying to teach Algebra in Chinese to a Mexican. Once I got a little pissed and angry it all seemed to come back to him. He went and got the rest of my cash. It was annoying but nothing major.

We sat at the beach bar and tried a daiquiri and a blue lagoon. Both were strong and had quite a bite to them. The bar didn’t have stools, instead they were swings. Very cool looking, but not comfy, but still fun and different.

After another quick swim we asked about lunch and they said it was ready. We went across the street to the patio and sat down. I got a few cokes from the bar and water for the woman. First was chips and salsa,

bbsnacks.jpg

followed by some cheese quesadillas and guacamole.

bbmexican.jpg

bbmexican2.jpg

So far, so good. The food was delicious. Then came the lobster and shrimp.

bbshrimplobster3.jpg

There were 4 kabobs of medium shrimp with 5 on each kabob. The lobster was the Caribbean type, no claws, all tail. It was in a tomato like sauce that was very good. The shrimp had a salty, peanut tasting rub on it which was fantastic.

They forgot about our tortillas, rice and bean but when I reminded the waited he was quick to get them. All of it was great. We chatted with the waiter, who was apparently part owner as well. He was very nice, very chatty even though he didn’t speak English fluently.

There were a few small things I think they need to improve on for this excursion. Either take payment in full via credit card or have change available for every guest. Also they could’ve used some umbrellas or huts for shade. It was a scorcher that day and I would rather lay in the sand under an umbrella that at the bar in a swing to get shaded. They should also ask/inform the customers about the dining options and times and such. Don’t leave folks guessing. I would recommend getting more lounge chairs as well as some that float in the water. Maybe throw some signs up with info on renting the kayaks that were there and offer some snorkel equipment to rent. They should also warn customers about the coral and urchins in the water.

They have a small hotel/bungalow building which housed rooms, the restaurant and a shop.

beachbreak13.jpg

It was all very quaint and looked good.

beachbreak5.jpg

beachbreak6.jpg

beachbreak14.jpg

Once we digested a bit, we went for another swim and some more sun, then it was back to the ship we went. I did manage to get a coke and a bottled water for the road.  My girlfriend wanted to get her hair braided so we went to a lady who did it for $10.

rachbraid1.jpg

rachbraid3.jpg

While she did that, I browsed the shops. As usual, everything was “almost free” or they would say, “I make special price for you”. Nothing really stood out here except they had a lot of large pretty conch shells for sale. One guy kept showing me those pipes folks use to smoke weed in. I laughed and said no thanks, he then asked if I wanted to buy some filling for it. I laughed again and advised I don’t smoke. He didn’t seem to believe me.

After 20 minutes or so she was all done and we walked some more.

costamahahual1.jpg

costamahahual2.jpg

costamahahual3.jpg

costamahahual4.jpg

costahorse1.jpg

We headed for the taxi spot and caught a ride back for $2 per person. We decided to get some t-shirts for the family and got a few for $5 each and a few for $8 each. Then we hit the trinket shops up. It was like a mob scene in the mall area by now. Bikini clad women were dancing on the pool bar and the music was blasting. After a bit of looking I was getting annoyed with the merchants who every 5 seconds would ask me “what do you need?” or “what are you looking for, I have it here for you I promise!”. So I decided to be a smart ass and when the next merchant asked what I needed since he would have it, I told him I needed a vacuum cleaner. He started laughing a lot. He said he had no vacuums but had some t-shirts I would like. I did this with the rest of the merchants that day. Most seemed mad, especially when I asked about a microwave or washer and dryers. Go figure. Another funny thing was they were all amazed at my tiny digital camera and all asked where I got it and how much I paid. I told them “it was almost free and I will make special deal for you!” They seemed to be thrown off when their own sales tactics were tossed back at them. Several merchants really wanted to trade me items for my Seahawks hat too.

One word of advice is…BARGAIN. Do not take the first, second, third or fourth offer. One shop had a ceramic sun/moon thing my gf wanted to get for her mom. The price started at $30 and ended up at $10. I got an ashtray for my dad that started at $15 and ended up at $5. Don’t be afraid to haggle.

The end.

• 2 weeks later...

A 4yr old should do fine, just keep an eye on them around the water of course. The water is perfect. Cool, shallow, no current or waves, just gently lapping the shore.

The camera is a Casio Exlim 2.1 megapixel camera. The quality is so-so. I only use it because it's so small. Smaller than a pack of cigs or a mans wallet. You can get em at Walmart for $150-300 depending on the model.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda figured that. I would be happy to sit on the sand on a towel, though, or paying for use of a lounger. I was thinking of purchasing the beach break thing for my hubby though. HE would get his use out of the OPEN BAR. The rest of us (me and 2 children) would not. I wonder how they would handle that? One person using the all inclusive and 3 not using it???? Did you see this at all? Thanks for your input!!

Archived