Just wanted to share

camperhawk

Hello, just wanted to share an e-mail from a friend, to keep things in persepective for what all our Texax friends are going through!

Everyone

As I am sure you know we have made it through the hurricane with no injuries and very limited damage. This goes for Johnny and Christy also. We have had our power restored. This does not mean that our lives have returned to normal. As we were spared from major damage from the storm the greater Houston area was not and I am sure you have seen pictures on the news. We do not consider just Katy our home but the entire greater Houston area as our home. We know people that have had family members loose everything as they lived on the Bolivar peninsula which was just devastated. To put in perspective you could look at pictures of Bolivar today and compare them to Hiroshima Japan after the bomb and they would like very similar. We do have some services back but they are limited. Grocery stores are open but very limited on supplies and only a handful gas stations are open in Katy and the lines are extremely long to get gas. There are still over 16,000 households in Katy alone with out power and they do not know when they will get it back. Friends of ours are still affected by power outages. The weather personal here are saying we are very lucky that this storm did not stay at sea another 12 to 24 hours as it would have than came in at a category 4 as it just started to get real organized the last few hours before land fall. We thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and it will still be a couple of weeks before our area is back to normal and it will be months for other areas and even years for some of the coastal communities.

Take care everyone.

Sean

We are slowly hearing from friends who live on the coast. Often we are getting an email that has been forwarded from person to person with the message that so and so is OK.

My local grocery store in North Texas, Tom Thumb has packages of non-perishable foods that customers can buy which will be trucked to the food bank in Houston. That food bank is needing 500,000 pounds of food per day.

I am pleased to say that the customers of Tom Thumb are paying for those food packages. My office mates made a decision to put our holiday party fund money into food for the Houston Food Bank.

If you really want to know what is going on check www.click2houston.com for live news feeds and great videos.

Thanks so much for the photos. Although we live only 20 miles north of Galveston, it is, of course, impossible to get onto the island and we are left wondering just how it is there. Unfortunately, it looks pretty bad - and the news from there is dismal at best.

Our area, which is near the upper reaches of Galveston Bay and Clear Lake had damage but is in much better shape than the gulf-front communities.

Galveston and the coastal area has always been one of our favorite places to be and I know normality will be restored - just not for an extended period. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of that area.

Archived