Putter and Dennis......

TCF

You guys know of a good Dim Sum Restaurant in Victoria's China Town????

We're on our way to the Amazon a week tomorrow and our first stop is Victoria. Naturally we don't plan to take an excursion there...but we thought it might be an idea to get one last Dim Sum meal before we head off for five weeks without!!!!

We're spending most of this week and next eating out at our favourite restaurants in town....tonight it was Japanese....Monday is Chinese...three days next week is Moderne Burger for me! Not sure it is possible to make it for five weeks without a Moderne Burger and still maintain one's sanity!!!???!!!

Tom

Sorry TCF I am flatfooted on that one.....I honestly haven't had Chinese never mind din sum in Victoria in years, except at the Red Lion Inn and I am not recommending that. I am sure that one of the Victoria posters will have a recommendation though.

Sounds like a terrific trip, who are or what are you going on?

The only one I am familiar with in Chinatown itself is Don Mee's. Haven't been for a while as

they were slipping the last time we went.

Will check around tomorrow and see if there are others.

A few blocks away on Quadra at Pandora is Ming's. A nice spot so will see if they do dim sum lunches.

Presume you are going to be here during the day as most only serve d-s at lunch.

Chinese restaurants are not an area of expertize for me.

Sorry can't help

Perhaps if you change your title to Chinese restaurants in Victoria the locals will pick up the title quicker or just start a new thread with that title.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for trying guys....and c-to-sea thank you too! I'll check back later today or tomorrow and see if you found anything else.

Putter....going on the Veendam 36-day reposition to Tampa from Vancouver. Goes to Victoria, San Diego, four stops in Mexico, one stop in Costa Rica, then through the Panama to Grenada and Aruba, down the east coast of S.A. to the Amazon, up the Amazon with four stops including an overnight in Manaus, then back out to Grand Turk, Barbados, Bahamas, and finally Tampa. Home Nov 6th after spending four days wandering around Tampa and environs just to get our 'land legs' back.

Am I excited by the whole adventure? Only when I am awake! The rest of the time it is fairly calm.

I am thinking about sending the odd update to the HAL boards as we go...probably mostly in the Amazon 'cause I don't think a lot of folks have done that cruise....the rest is pretty pedestrian....only different because it is all in one cruise.

Just planning the trip and making the necessary arrangements has been an adventure. We have never done a cruise of this length before....five weeks is a lot different than 10 days in this regard.

Just for the record....you and Dennis are probably the most knowledgeable guys concerning Vancouver and environs I have run in to....and I was born and raised here....and the way you so generously share your knowledge with others certainly tells the world a whole lot about what a great place Vancouver...and the people who call it home are!

Tom

Thanks Tom - it will be 61 years on Sept 28 that a little 9lb 8oz boy was born at St. Paul's and except for a year living in Port Moody and POCO all the rest has been in Vancouver.

Your trip sounds intriguing and I will have to book mark your ship and follow your posts.

That is the kind of trip I would like to try some day but unless I can convince someone to share with me the pricing is beyond my reach at the present time.

Cheers

Dennis

You guys know of a good Dim Sum Restaurant in Victoria's China Town????

We're on our way to the Amazon a week tomorrow and our first stop is Victoria. Naturally we don't plan to take an excursion there...but we thought it might be an idea to get one last Dim Sum meal before we head off for five weeks without!!!!

We're spending most of this week and next eating out at our favourite restaurants in town....tonight it was Japanese....Monday is Chinese...three days next week is Moderne Burger for me! Not sure it is possible to make it for five weeks without a Moderne Burger and still maintain one's sanity!!!???!!!

Tom

Where is Moderne burger??? I am coming over next weekend and would love to track this place down :)

We went for Dim Sum at Don Mee's a few weeks ago and it really has gone down hill :( ........I don't think we will go back.

The Forum between Government and Douglas is a wicked seafood Chinese restaurant and easily has my vote for best Chinese restaurant in Victoria.

Tom, that sounds like a wonderful trip I particularly like the idea of returning to NA. I am surprised that there are not more cruises that orginate in NA, do SA and return. This would apply equally to both coasts.

Thanks for the kind words like Ut, I was also born in SPH (as was my wife) but I was just a few years head of him. I spent my early childhood in Vancouver Heights but lived most of my life on the North Shore and worked almost my entire career for private family company that was officed downtown. After 38 yrs of undetected crime I decided to enter the Witness Protection program and now spend my life playing very bad golf up here on the Sunshine Coast and down in AZ for about 5 1/2 mos a year.:D

Have a great trip and we will look forward to reading your reviews.

Update on Dim-Sum

Unfortunately, Ming's do not do a d-s lunch. Don Mee's does but, as mentioned above,

it is not what it used to be. One that was mentioned to me but which I have

not been to is Jade Fountain, further up Douglas Street nearer Mayfair Mall

than Chinatown.

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=3138

Sorry I can't be more help.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy!!!

Update on Dim-Sum

Unfortunately, Ming's do not do a d-s lunch. Don Mee's does but, as mentioned above,

it is not what it used to be. One that was mentioned to me but which I have

not been to is Jade Fountain, further up Douglas Street nearer Mayfair Mall

than Chinatown.

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=3138

Sorry I can't be more help.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy!!!

My daughter ( the super foodie) had mentioned this place as well as Raymonds as a good place for Dim Sum, many of her Asian friends go to both, they are off the beaten track abit for Cruisers but I think both places are good :)

Thanks all in Victoria for the leads. I am sure we will find something using your advice.

Dennis...I am only a matter days older than you. Born Sept 2/47 in St. Vincents at 33rd and Cambie St. Nothing much there now except a big hole in the ground.

Except for a couple of years in Alberta...I've spent all my life here to.

I may get back on before we leave...but if I don't I'll check back in November when we return.

Be well.

Tom

"Nothing much there now except a big hole in the ground.

Actually Providence health care has built a new campus of care on the site - it looks like it is nearing completion.

Off in a few minutes for the walk to Canada Place to catch the bus to Seattle.

Cheers and have a great cruise.

Dennis

Archived