In-Laws First Cruise

karatemom2

We have finally convinced my MIL and FIL to start enjoying their retirement and take a cruise. They will be leaving next week on the partial Panama Canal transit on the Island Princess. We have done our best to prepare them and help them plan, but I just want them to have a really wonderful time. My FIL is a bit worried as he has slightly limited mobility due to arthritis, but I have reassured him that him that he will be fine. I am sure we haven't thought of everything so if you have any last minute advice we can share with them it would be very welcome.

Are you going to send something to the cabin to welcome them on board? We sent friends a flower arrangement and it really started the trip off with a pleasent surprise for them.

Just reassure them that there will be someone there to answer any questions they might have and when they don't know, to just ask anyone. While there are some who are the crabgrass on the lawn of life, many cruisers love to help out first timers - tell them to look for anyone with a card that isn't blue.

Wish them a bon voyage for me!

Hi Mary. It's so wonderful that you have convinced your MIL and FIL to take a cruise! Jim's sister is in town from Texas and we were just talking last night about how much their parents would have loved going on a cruise.

The Island Princess and partial Panama Canal for their 1st cruise was a great choice.:) I'm sure they will love the Island Princess. Our partial Panama Canal cruise on the Island in '03 was one of our best cruises ever. A balcony is a fine place to enjoy the canal transit or there are a lot of good spots on deck.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Flowers are a lovely idea. I called Princess and arranged that as well as Birthday decorations since MIL's birthday is today. We've told them all about UBD so I'm hoping they will take advantage of that at some point during the trip. I've also heard there is a special room service breakfast menu available for the day of the Panama Canal transit. Do you remember something like that being available Jeanne?

Hi Mary - Are your inlaws taking the RT from LA cruise? We were on that Island cruise in April and loved it. We have also cruised RT to Hawaii twice on that ship. If they dine in the buffet, be sure to tell them to find a table first before getting their food. I usually take a sweater or glass case or something to leave on the table while we go to the buffet as it gets crowded and it's difficult to manage a plate while looking for a seat! Sometimes there will be attendants there to help but not always.

Also, we like going to the early shows, and we found them to be very crowded even 1/2 hour before showtime. DH would go early with his book, enter the theater on the left side (Promenade Deck) and sit on the left aisle just a few rows from the top of the theater. On our cruise, the top few rows on the left were reserved for people who have difficulty walking. Your FIL would certainly qualify, but I didn't ever see anyone checking. We liked that location - easy in, easy out!

The Wheelhouse Bar on Promenade Deck (the lounge just before you reach the theater) is a lovely large room with very comfortable seating and usually very nice music for listening or dancing.

Yes, they did have the special room service breakfast offered on PC day. You may even be able to order it on other days. As I recall it was $28 per couple. We never did this, but from what I've read there is lots of food, more than enough for two people. You can probably find the menu somewhere here on CC or maybe on the Princess website. Maybe someone who has ordered this will chime in here.

If they want an extra copy of the "Patters," the Purser's Desk usually has them available to just pick up. Do be sure that they know to ask, ask, ask, ANY question. If they let their room steward know that this is there first cruise, he/she can be very helpful or at least tell them where to find the answer. If robes are not in their cabin on arrival and they want them, just ask the RS, also if they need extra hangers, ask right away!

I hope they love cruising - oh, yes, and don't forget to tell them if they think they want to cruise again to go to the cruise consultant on board and put down the small deposit required for a future cruise. Bon Voyage to them!

Thanks for all the great info. I ordered flowers and the Ultimate Balcony Champagne Breakfast for them. We just came home from their house where we reviewed all the last minute lists with them. They are so excited! We are hoping they have such a great time they will join us on our Hawaii cruise this Christmas.

Archived