Disposable Underwater Camera

Sensenigr

I have a pretty awesome digital camera I use for vacation; however, it unfortunately is not waterproof.

This time on our Nov. cruise, we will be doing a lot of water activities (tubing, snorkling, swimming with the dolphins, stingrays). Can anyone recommend a decent underwater or waterproof disposable camera? Last year, I bought a generic Walgreens one, and none of the pictures came out. It was absolutely horrible.

I would just rather not go out and buy a new waterproof digital at this time.

Thanks for your help.

What digital camera do you have? There might be an underwater housing for it, and I don't mean one of those plastic bag things either which really aren't suitable for underwater use, only for use on the surface.

As for disposable cameras, I'm of the opinion that for the most part, disposable cameras produce disposable photos. If nothing else will do, then stick with one of the brand names such as either a Kodak or Fuji.

I agree with Bruce if you can get an underwater housing for your digital camera you are much better off. But they are expensive and you can get good pictures from a disposable camera. One hint with taking disposable cameras with you, DO NOT PACK THEM IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE. The X-Ray machines that the TSA uses to screen your checked luggage is much more harmful to film than the carry on machines. So if you buy a disposable keep it in your carry on luggage.

I also agree stick with Fuji or Kodak, both are good. I think I used Fuji on the last cruise before I bought my underwater housing and it took good pictures underwater.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one of "those plastic bag things" for my digital camera, made by DiCAPac, for my upcoming cruise in Tahiti. I did a lot of online research as to the safety of this particular product, and the user reviews were very positive.

According to the literature, it can be used to depths of 15 feet. I am anxious to try it. It comes with instructions for waterproof testing underwater, which I did perform, and there was no hint of leakage of water into the bag.

However, being an innately careful person, I am traveling with 2 digital point 'n shoot cameras, should tragedy happen and the bag leaks. At least I will have a backup for non-underwater photos.

If you want a cheapie underwater camera (not digital) , I bought one on our Carnival cruise ship 2 cruises ago.

It has a flash... takes reasonable pictures....I was diving at 60 ft..... and it's not disposable.....I've taken 3 rolls of film with it so far.

It cost me just 16 bucks.

I haveone of "those plastic bag things" for my digital camera, made by DiCAPac and it worked GREAT!! I used it in Belize on Cave tubing, as well as stingray sandbar. Had no problems with it leaking and I plan on using it again this year.

but I think that all the Fiji disposables that I had purchased did have a flash.

I stll recimmend a digital however, as it is cheaper in the long run. But if you just don't want the expense then your best bet is likley the Fuji. IMO

On my trip to Bermuda last year, I took 2 underwater cameras that I actually got at Office Depot on the clearance table! The pics turned out great, I was somewhat surprised. I wasn't sure if I was going to snorkel in the first place, so the quality wasn't a big issue. I did end up snorkeling and the pics turned out great! I'd buy one again (and hopefully get as good of a deal!) :p

Personally, every waterproof, disposalable camera my husband and I have ever purchased has been crap. If you plan on taking a lot of underwater photos (on this trip and for years to come), I'd invest in a good, underwater camera.

I know this upcoming trip I'm not wasting my money again on a disposable, underwater camera. Besides, the last camera my husband left on the scuba boat.

Doh!

Here are some pictures taken with my cheapie Fuji underwater camera (I like these because they come with a big rubber band so you can link it around your arm or wrist). I am not (yet) trying to compete in a photo contest... just want the snaps for my memories and scrapbook. These were taken in Grand Cayman.

004_2-2.jpg

017_15-2.jpg

022_20-2.jpg

020_18-2.jpg

015_13.jpg

I think for $8.00 they are pretty darned good for my purposes. If I become a serious snorkeler then I'll think about spending more money, but for now, these work good for me. The actual photos are quite vibrant in their color. The digital version doesn't do them justice.

Archived