Are there Public Beaches, or all Resorts?

TwoWeebles

I am confused after reading threads here about Nassau. It sounds like there are no public beaches. Do you have to pay for a daypass at some resort to use there beach? We could care less about a water park type atmosphere. We just want to lay on the beach and relax. :confused:

I am confused after reading threads here about Nassau. It sounds like there are no public beaches. Do you have to pay for a daypass at some resort to use there beach? We could care less about a water park type atmosphere. We just want to lay on the beach and relax. :confused:

The beaches in the Bahamas are like the US... they are "free" up to the mean high tide line and then privately owned past that. There are "public" beaches around Nassau and one is even in walking distance from the ships.

Most people that are doing stuff on their own choose to go to one of the resort hotels and purchase a "day Pass" to be able to use the resorts pool/bathroom/chairs. It provides some security also. Public beaches in Nassau are wide open and can be a little sketchy - if I was a single woman I would not go there along - but are "free".

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. It may be just me and my friend, or it could be us and the hubbies if they want to come. How do I find out about these day passes and who offers them? The "excursions" thru the ship seem outrageous for a day at the beach, but I have seen someone post about a $20 day pass to some hotel's beach. I am starting to wonder if I should have booked Bermuda again, but you can't beat the prices on a Bahamas cruise.

The most popular (BCH which is right near the port and Wyndham/Sheraton which is a jitney ride away) are both "walk up & pay". You don't have to do any previous planning -- just decide the day you get there if you want a quiet, peaceful beach with maybe 20 people on it where you can lay out on a beach chair & read a book undisturbed (BCH - around $20) or if you are looking for something a little more resort style with a fancy pool, loads of beach chairs, a pool bar from which you can buy fancy drinks, etc. (Wyndham/Sheraton-around $40)

Archived