Fog at Peggys Cove

Reading lots about fog in Peggys Cove. We will be there on Oct 21. Is there a lot of fog this time of year and if so can we enjoy the trip at all?

There will just be the 2 of us and we are wondering the best way to see the Cove and Titanic museum as well. Hubby is a bit nervous about getting caught in traffic and missing the ship. I can't really tell from the descriptions if busses give you any time to get off and enjoy.

Persaonally, I think the best way to see Peggy's Cove would be to renta car or hire a driver. That way you can stay as long/ or as little as you would like. Also, you can stop at any other place that catches you eye. It is a fairly straight forward drive from Halifax to Peggy's. By the "Titanic Museum" do you mean the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic? If you are interested in the Titanic, you should also take the opportunity to check out the graveyard in Halifax where the casualties of the Titanic were laid to rest.

We went to Peggy's Cove in July and the whole way there we were in the fog... but you know what? It was still wonderful - I'd never seen this part of the country and I enjoyed it. I'd love to go again some day and see it in the sunshine - but it was ok in the fog.

We hired a private driver from Yourcab Tours in Halifax. The whole way the driver kept apologizing for the fog - like it was his fault :)

• 2 weeks later...

A waiter at the restaurant at Peggys Cove said there is very little fog at this time of year. He said April to August is the time it really gets foggy. We were in Peggys Cove on Sept. 24 and it was clear as a bell.

Hope this helps. We rented a car and it went great.

Fog is generally a non issue in October in the Maritime Provinces, but it could make a liar out of me.

A few weeks ago we met friends coming in on the Maasdam in the morning and took them directly to Peggy's Cove and the Swissair Memorial, which is about three minutes past Peggy's Cove. We then returned to the city for lunch at Salty's on the waterfront and then walked to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, where we had all kinds of time to explore. Since we were responsible for getting them back to the ship on time it gave me great peace of mind to have them back in town for the afternoon. They could have walked back to the ship if there had been a car problem.

If you have an hour before you have to reboard, the Pier 21 Immigration Museum is right there at the cruisedock and you can explore worry-free and just go aboard when you have to.

Archived