Any Armonia Reviews?

Heartsome1

Hi

We are leaving for our cruise on the Eastern Med in just 8 days! :-) I saw Pam's web page with the photos which is excellent! But I am just wondering if anyone else has a review out there... or Pam if you're reading this I'm really hoping to read yours before I go!!! Even just a readers digest version on the excursions would be GREAT!!! Thanks!

~Christina~

I posted the Excursion leaflet on my site at http://www.magwa.co.uk/armonia/shoreexcursions.htm

Dave & I only took one excursion - Oia Village in Santorini. This takes the tender to Port Athinios, where you board a coach for the ride up the cliffs to Pyrgos & Santo Wines, from where you get spectacular views over the Caldera. We had about half an hour here [although it said an hour, but the guide said it was better to spend the time in Oia, it was]. You get to sample 3 wines & have some bites to eat. There is a shop in which most things were more expensive than in Fira [unless you want to buy their wine]. The guide went to great pains telling people not to buy souvenirs at Santo Wines, or in Oia, as the shops in Fira were better priced - they were.

Back on the coach to Oia.. a truely delightful town, so pretty and glorious views from all sides. We had a short talk about the place and then had an hour to explore, before coaching back to Fira, where we were left to do as we pleased & given a voucher to use either for the Cable Car or Donkey back down to Skala Fira from where the ship's tenders docked. No rush here as plenty of time left, hours, before Armonia sailed. Good shopping, especially jewellery, though we didn't buy anything.

Others who did the trip to the Caldera & swim, enjoyed it, but found it a bit too short.

One couple at our table did a tour in every port as they had never been to the Med before [from New Zealand] and felt more comfortable doing so. Another couple took a couple of tours and the third took none, having been to all the ports before.

The NZ couple enjoyed the walking tours most [the Palace tour in Corfu had a guided tour in the Old Town too, even though it doesn't say so, or that may just have been the guide they had, doing a bit extra].

If you've not been to Olympia before do the trip with the Archaelogical Museum. The 'shopping' on the other trip is a stop at a specific jewellery store with 30 mins, so you walk in one door out the other, and try to get in as much of the rest of the street as possible [but there isn't much there] before going back to the coach, not worth it. There is a beach [small] in Katakolon anyway, or better ones a short taxi drive away.. not worth a tour for that. But it would be too cold I expect this time of year.

In Athens.. in our case the tours were all awry due to the Olympics and the security at the time. The authorities kept changing what the operators could and couldn't do, so things were not as the leaflets. However unless one of the trips specifically takes your fancy, I'd just be inclined to walk around to the station, buy a day pass & get on the Metro to Monastiraki. From there you can walk the alleyways, see the Acropolis etc Maps are available on board [of all ports of call] and the chappie will mark on the map anything specific you want to see/find and give you ideas of what to see.

Bari old town is lovely to walk around, & visit the castle and churches. Don't get the shuttle to the 'Cruise Terminal' [if you are not berthed at it], as it's further to walk from there than where you are berthed. The purpose for the shuttle is if you want to get a taxi.

All ports are easy to wander alone in/about. The only place with a fair walking distance to anywhere is Corfu, and that's not far. Dubrovnik is worth a walking tour for the guide's knowledge, it's a fascinating place, if you've not been before.

Photos of all places on my website now.

As to a review.. well I haven't done it:( but basically all the proceedures of MSC, comments re food & service etc are the same as for Lirica. As to the ship, Armonia is not as nice as Lirica, and the decor is not the same quality and a bit 'worn' [though not terribly so, I mean just 'faded' being an older ship than Lirica]. There is more 'plastic', no nice wooden tables/chairs etc in the outdoor restaurant, and the rubberised decking is a bit worn in areas. The lounges not so nice decorwise. I am making it sound awful now! It's not, just not as nice as Lirica, whose decor I loved.

If you like a bit of peace & quiet to read whilst as sea, make your way to the stern decks and the loungers there. No drinks service here, but if you nab a waiter on the top decks he/she will willingly come down. There is no 15% service charge as on US ships, the price you see is what you pay, the service charge is within the price & still cheaper than US Ships!] Don't forget the Daily 2 for 1 specials, a very good deal.

Anything else? I hope you have a great time. Please tell me if the rock wall ever gets used. It was roped off on our trip the whole time and the area in front was used as a sun terrace. I was hoping they might remove the 'eyesore' all together:)

I have not scanned the Port Info sheets. They only really contain info found anywhere on the net, but will try and find time tomorrow for them.

I appreciate all of this Great INFO!!! We were thinking about taking the Bari "murge" & wine tasting tour. The Santorini - Caldera Vocano/Hot springs tour.... not sure if they're gonna offer it since its Nov, but if they don't then we'll do the donkey thing to the town! :-D DH is going to do the Olympia & museum thing, I think DD and I will relax in town and on the ship that day. And the other days we're gonna do self-guided stuff (Corfu, Athens, & Dubrovnik). Thanks again! Take care!

Christina

Archived