Just Got Upgraded ~~ Can't Believe It!!!

Choose2Cruise

We're sailing on the QM2 on 12/6/04 to the Southern Caribbean, and just heard from our TA that we've been upgraded from a B5 cabin to a P1 Junior Suite. That's a 6 category upgrade! We just can't believe it. As first-time Cunard cruisers, we would have been happy next door to our friends in B5, as originally booked.

Now we'll be dining in Princess Grill, and the TA said we can choose to dine in Brittania anytime we want, but that our friends won't be able to join us in the Princess Grill. I'm almost afraid to share our good news with them now. They have a different TA than we do. When I asked the TA how this could happen, as all she said was that their agency does so much business with Cunard, that upgrades are not unusual.

Can any of you seasoned QM2 cruisers give us any idea of what we'll be able to enjoy in our upgraded cabin? Any special amenities? Wondering also about dining hours in the Princess Grill. Do they have early and late seating, or set dining hours, or do you just wander in whenever you want? Thanks for any advice or information any of you can give us. We've been on about 13 or 14 other cruises, mostly Celebrity and NCL, but we just know this will be the Cruise of a Lifetime. What a way to celebrate 50 years of marriage, right?

Choose2Cruise in New Mexico

I Very Rarely Get An Upgrade I Thing Americans Are Luckier. Got Upgrade On Qm2 This Year To A Balcony Totally Obscuresd By Lifeboat So Would Have Been Better To Stay Where I Was . Also Was O=fffered An Upgerade On Black Watch This December But The Orig Cabin Is Higher Up So I'm Staying At Old Cabin. Its A Shame About The Class System. A Friend Ios Going On Qe2 Next Week To Canaries Like Me I'm In Mauritania He's In Queens Grill. So You Cannot Invite Friend To Dine Together What A Shame. Can One Look At The Restarant As There Are Some Nice Models In Them.

Well Have A Great Cruise

Write Soon

David

Its A Shame About The Class System.

Nothing to do with class. Dreadfully uncouth, vulgar, 'common' people can travel in QC you know! Unless, of course, you mean its a shame some people are wealthier than others. If this is the case, that has been a raging debate for at least 200 years! (Try googling the word 'Marxism' for further info).

not really i'm not envious, but just that you cannot have more of a choice of restarants like n dawn wheree there is 9 rests to choose from. like my friend if he is there has a queens grill and i can't go there as his guest. can you go to look at these rests or are you barred friom them. i don't mind but it would be nice to go for the better ones. did you book your from chooxe2cruise then. don't know where the best are over here. not had another upgrades to speak of. looked at the prices and 14,000$ for his cabimn. i only paid 600£ for mine as i got 400£ cruise credit from my qm2 cruise that was delayed. enjoyed it

Congrats Choose 2. ;) How did you get that upgrade? We're in a B5 ourselves for an 8 day Caribbean in April. Did you have an assigned cabin already before the upgrade? An upgrade to a suite is the only one we'd take because we'd rather be in the hull than upstairs, but for the Princess Grille Restaurant, we'd take the upstairs. We usually pick our cabin when booking and only once in about 30 cruises, had we ever been upgraded from an assigned cabin. Send the upgrade fairy our way, will ya?:D

Same thing happened to my wife and I. We were booked in a B2 room and, about 4 weeks before the cruise, we were upgraded to a P1 suite. We were on the 10/17-10/31 Med cruise. I'm sure if we had sailed in our original cabin, we would have thought that the ship was amazing (it is), but the upgrade had so many perks we were besides ourselves.

First, the room is bigger. Tons of closets and daily canapes! Second, the Princess Grill is outstanding. It is eating in a 4 star resturant three time a day. We were at table 4 by a window. Sunil, Zea and Kristof were assigned to our table. Excellent professionals. The assistant Maitre d' is Jonathan. Outstanding!

Third, the Grill Lounge. You can use it, even though originanlly it was only for Queens Grill passengers. Now it is open for everyone in Grill class. (you still can't use the Queens Grill deck on 8). Finally, the Grill guests get precedence on the tours. You meet at the Chart Room, nor the theatre, and are sent to the transportation a touch earlier. There are also tours just for Grill guests. Very nice perk.

This was our first cruise and we absolutely loved it. My one fear is that there is no way our next one could measure up.

Thanks to CrusieKing2 for the kind wishes, we will certainly sign the log book. And thanks to Norkie for the added insight, it just keeps getting better. Our TA called back to remind us we also have $400 in shipboard credits! This is our 4th cruise but 1st on QM2. Not only is it our 29th anniversary but we just married off our eldest duaghter 2 weeks ago. Time to relax. No matter what hiccups occur, know we will love it. With all there is to do, we'll have to remind ourselves to work on the relaxation time.

Chuck and Phyllis ~~ Honestly can't tell you why we were upgraded. We had an assigned B5 balcony cabin, and then the TA called and said we'd been upgraded to a P1 junior suite. She only said that their agency books so many people on Cunard, that upgrades "are not unusual". I don't know whether that means that Cunard came down with our name specifically to go up to a P1, or whether Cunard gave the agency some upgrades and said to pass them on to their good customers. Either way, I'll take it and enjoy the luxury for 2 weeks before coming back to reality!

Our friends are still down in B5 and seemed very happy for us when we told them our good fortune. She just asked me to make sure the gates across the stairways were unlocked so that they could come up to see our P1 suite (a tongue-in-cheek reference to the poor folk locked down in steerage class in the "Titanic" movie). The TA knew we were starting to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary a few months early, so maybe she just did us a big favor, God bless her!

l had to fight tooth and nail to get one, even though booked 10month in advance and a platinum club member, the travel agent was useless and cunard even worse, got the impression this was the 1st upgrade handed out this year for QE2!!!

When l did board QE2 for the Med cruise in October, boy did l find out that they were given out to anybody and everybody!!!! the best l herd of was from Mauretania to Q grill.

A person onboard QE2 summed it up to me the one day...."Upgrades.....

those that should, dont and those that dont, do"

Maybe its me but what about customer loyality, those little badges do cost a lot of money and just what do we get.... NOT MUCH!!!!! cheap bottle of sparkling stuff and an invite to an "exclusive" officers party (which it wasnt bu the way)

l have a very dear friend who has travelled Cunard over 30 times and has yet to be offered an upgrade!!!!

I know RJMS74 will agree with me about fighting for an upgrade.

anyway. my soap box is about worn away so will give it a rest!!!

cheers

Myles

Is anyone on the 12/6 cruise from NYC? We received our tickets on

Friday 11/12 and did receive an upgrade. This is my sixth sailing on Cunard, but first on the QM2. I believe traveling on the off-peak cruises have a part in the upgrades. For some other sailings all of the "good" cabins are booked.

• 3 months later...

Congratulations to all who got upgrades, have wonderful cruises.

I am not likely to get this, since I travel solo and in an inside smallest (cheapest) cabin , but I would LOVE to find someone on this board who is going on my cruise. May 2nd out of Southampton on the QE2.

So far not one reply to posting, I am begining to think I will be the only one on the transatlantic flight April 30 Delta out of Atlanta, and the only one at the Crowne Plaza May 1st. It is going to be sooooooo lonely on that bus all by my self going to Southampton!!!!!!

No upgrades, but look under QE2 World cruise priciing for BIG REDUCTIONS on this cruise, - new definitions also - some segments have become "Liner Voyages" (not at all certain what this means)

These prices were in the latest brochure I received this week, my TA is looking into them now. The reductions are really worthwhile.

Last fall I was upgraded from at outside single to a deluxe outside single with balcony on Caronia about six weeks before the sailing. Cunard just called up my TA and asked if I'd like to be upgraded. It was my fifth Cunard in five years, but I think the fact that the TA had just put down the deposit on my sixth cruise was a deciding factor. I miss that ship, but I'm off on QE2 again in April (no upgrade yet...).

-Julia

I've been upgraded from an atrium cabin to one with a balcony, but 100% obstructed by a lifeboat.

I've accepted that, because there is much more room in the balcony cabin, and on a transatlantic, we are not missing much of a view - sea, sea and more sea!

I suspect we got the upgrade because Cunard brought out several special offers after we had booked, for our trip, meaning that people who booked after me were getting a much better deal.

Archived