A few words about Galveston...

*Mach*

Tilman Fertitta, owner of the Kemah Boardwalk and a number of restaurants in Galveston said today that three of his places in Galveston will open for business next week.

That's a bit of good news...

Here's a bit of bad news...

The City of Galveston has told Cyndie, the owner of EZCruise, that they will be towing vehicles out of her lot and impounding the cars on City property. The towing and storage will be billed to the owners of the vehicles.

Now, I know that the City wants to get back to normal as soon as possible but these vehicles are totaled and, in many cases, insurance companies have yet to settle the claims with the owners. This just seems a bit premature...

Actually, it seems like good news to me....

The cars are totaled. I'm sure insurance will cover the cost of towing/storage until the claims are resolved.

EZCruise can get ready for new business and the upcoming Cruisers will have a place to park as soon as the ships return to the City.

It sounds like a very logical course of action.

Actually, it seems like good news to me....

The cars are totaled. I'm sure insurance will cover the cost of towing/storage until the claims are resolved.

EZCruise can get ready for new business and the upcoming Cruisers will have a place to park as soon as the ships return to the City.

It sounds like a very logical course of action.

The thing that's wrong about this is that EZCruise is privately owned. There has been no declaration of martial law. It seems to me that the City is overstepping it's bounds.

Additionally, those vehicles are not totaled until the insurance adjusters get to evaluate them, regardless of what we already know. A number of insurance agents have been denied access, by the City, to these vehicles.

One of the members of my Crazies Cruise, Firefly333, has a car there. She contacted Cyndie just minutes ago. Her son is at the gate of the parking lot refusing entry to tow trucks. Good for her. She's protecting the best interest of her clients.

We live in Arlington. Any vehicle damaged in a wreck here that is not drivable is towed by the tow company the city contracts with to there impound lot AND ONLY to that lot. The vehicle owner gets a certified letter to come take care of the car and fees (in cash). The insurance companies pay the tow fee and impound lot fees as part of the deal with the car repair or settlement.

Sounds to me that the City of Galveston is doing a similar thing with these cars. I'm not saying it is right...I'm just saying it is not uncommon.

Archived