Jamaica tubing

chasescott

I will be taking the Panama Canal 10 day Royal Caribbean cruise in April. My two 9 year olds want to do the tubing in Jamaica. However, my wife does not swim and is a bit intimidated by the prospect. How deep is the water and how friendly to non-swimmers? Thanks guys

Hi There,

We went river tubing in Ocho Rios.It is alot of fun. If you search it on you tube, you can find alot of peoples video experiences of this.Here is one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2G4BD4sgXI

There are always guides to help you, you have life preservers on.Its relatively safe.Tell your wife to go, have fun!:)

Went went river tubing in Jamaica last November. My mother who was 73 yrs old and my children who were 5 did it without any problems. You sit in a big tire tube, with your legs hanging out. You just kind of float down the river. There is a guide who is laying on his belly on the tube that follows you down and sings. If you run into any trouble, like being close to the trees, etc. He just swims over and moves your tube. It was very safe.

Enjoy!

Do you remember which tour you went on? Thanks again.

We went went Marva Shaw Tours. Her son took us around and was very friendly and really went out of his way for us.

The reason we had him was because we were suppose to meet them when the ship was scheduled to dock. However, the ship arrived earlier and I assumed that we would still meet at our scheduled time. But I was wrong. When we went out to the dock, Marva was waiting for us but advised us that the van which we were suppose to take had already left, but her son was coming back to take us on our tour. So it turned out we really had a private tour.

Her son was great. He took us to Dunns River Falls, waited for us to shop. I ordered a video tape and it was not available because I did not pick it up right away and they had to make another. In order for us not to waste time, Marva's son took us River Tubing then meet up with the video guy, while we were tubing and got my tape!

After River Tubing he took us to a private beach where we had lunch. We did buy her son lunch since he was taking such great care of us. He made sure that we made it back to the ship in time.

We had a great experience with them. If you email Marva Shaw (I think the website is knowjamaica.com, she will give you all the information you need.

My suggestion is that if you book with any of the tour companies be very clear on the time that you have to meet them. As in our case, our ship arrived early and that is usually when they will be waiting for you.

Archived