Emerald Princess - Baltics May 09

Embracedbylife

I have posted on the Baltics page but wondering if anyone here has taken the Baltic cruise and wondering about the princess transfers to the ship for disembarking. Flight is at 9am and the ship arrives at port at 5am. I hear we might be able to disembark as early as 6am, and plan to walk off with luggage, but do you know if princess transfer will be faster and ensure transportation as opposed to hoping there will be a cab at 6am at the port?

i just got off of the crown and we took a taxi to the airport...we got off late at 9:45 am and were the last people on the line, took about 45 minutes wait but there was a constant stream of cabs available since they docked (we were watching from the balcony). the cost was around 60 dollars US for the cab...i am sure if you are one of the earliest off the taxi would be cheaper and faster, you dont have to wait on a bus to fill up...people we were traveling with paid 49 dollars each way per person for the bus...hope that helps

this info does help, although i must admit i'm nervous about missing our 9am flight...i have heard of one other that made it for 9am flight, but if the ship is delayed arriving in port, we'll be out of luck, and i'm not sure if we'll end up paying a lot of money and spending a night if we miss our 9am flight...i'm nervous.

I did find out we could just make our last stop Oslo, and not get back on the ship and just fly out from there to home for the same cost.

Anyone know if it's ok to just not get back on the ship and head home from the second to last port?? you think prinicess would be ok with this?

Don't miss the sail from Oslo to Copenhagen, it's breathtaking.

What not plan tospend 1 extra night in Copenhagen? You could stay at the Airport Hilton and just walk across the street to the Airport for a 9am flt.

On your extra day in Copenhagen you can drop your luggage at the Hotel and take the train back into the City to sight see.(train fare is just a few dollars)

Yes, the Ship returns to Port at 5am, but must clear customs and there's always a change for a delay there.

Spend the extra day, relax and enjoy.A great way to end a vacation!

Enjoy!

Hubby has to be back to work so we can't spend that extra day. We'll be going to copenhagen a day early so as to not miss the ship departing...flights out of NYC are always delayed or cancelled so i do'nt want to risk flying in the day of the cruise....well I feel bad we might miss out on that sail from oslo to copenhagen...but we'll get to see more of norway i guess!

I was on the Crown Princess last week and we made the 9:05 a.m. plane with lots of time to spare. Docking in Copenhagen does not have any immigration or security (other than the ship's own) so it is a quick walk off the ship. We did the self-debarkation where you carry off your bags. We left the ship at 5:25 a.m., got a waiting cab (did not wait for the van which has to fill and charges the same price) and got to the airport before 6:00 a.m. Continental check-in sites don't open until 6:05 a.m. so we were the first ones in line.

Yes, the cruise will tell you to take their bus but I would not chance it for an early flight.

The ship also has continental breakfast starting at 4:00 a.m. so you can even get something to eat and a cup of (awful) coffee.

This is really helpful info!! Now do you suppose that we would have problems if the ship is late arriving in Copenhagen, and we coldn't get off till about 6am or so? I am happy to hear there are cabs lined up at 5:30am, but also nervous about missing our flight. Do you know if we miss our flight do we have to pay the difference in fair to take the flight the next day?

It is only about 35 minutes to airport, especially at that hour. Don't overthink this: I worried about it in advance and finally just decided that we'd worry about missing the flight IF it happened. It was no problem and I obsessed for nothing. Copenhagen is an easy port to disembark so just relax!

Have fun - it is a great trip!

Thanks Trainer, your information is Very very helpful. Do you know what really happens if you miss your flight? Do they make you pay as if you are buying a new ticket for the next day? Could we be stuck paying over $2,000 for a ticket out the next day? that's more of my fear than spending the night and arriving home a day late...thanks!

Techinically, yes, the airlines has the right to forfiet your seat if you miss your flight and charge you full fare for your new ticket. Could be pretty pricey flying last minute from a foreign city back to the states. Do you also have insurance? Your policy may cover it depending on the type of coverage you have. Even so, you would have to purchase the tickets and file a claim to be reimbursed. Not sure if it would fall under trip delay or not, you would have to speak to the insurance company about that.

It will depend a lot on the airline. Some may just charge you a change fee -- between $50 and $200. Some may consider you a no-show and cancel your ticket. If you KNOW you will be late, try to call and let the airline know in advance and you may be okay. But, I would bet that you will make the flight and that the ship will dock on-time or close to it. Try to relax about it and enjoy your trip! I know, easier to say than to do; but really, it should work out just fine.

Archived