Hiking Boots versus Hiking Shoes

NeilFan

I want to start breaking in some shoes/boots for next August My thinking is low top hiking shoes so they would be comfortable in trains and buses which most of our land tour will be. We won't have time for all-day hikes except maybe at port calls. Will low tops (I've seen some Merrill and Keen brands) be sufficient as long as they are waterproof?

Socks -- would a liner be advisable with wool type socks? Any other suggestions for types of socks?

Are the McKinley Explorer trains comfortable temperatures? How about the Denali TWT buses? Don't want to have "sweaty" feet and gross everyone out!

I'd like to hear more about rain gear too, but that's for another topic. Don't know if my Columbia jacket with liner will be "waterproof enough".

Thank you,

NeilFan

I like hiking boots that are over my ankle, as I'm quite uncoordinated and need the extra support they provide when I'm actually hiking. DH, on the other hand, much prefers the low-top ones as he find thems more comfortable for normal/day to day wear. I'd say it really depends on the kind of hiking you'll be doing, and the footing you'll encounter. If there is scrambling and/or scree/loose rock on steep portions involved it's been my experience you're safer with the higher tops. If the footing is good on the trails, few roots, little rock, generally smooth, I suspect the low tops are fine.

For hiking socks, I wear a blend of wool, silk and synthetic made by Wigwam. A number of other companies make a similar blend, but I find the Wigwams to be durable, comfortable, and towards the lower end of the cost range. Go into an outdoor store and find a knowledgeable salesperson -- they can steer you to the ones that are the most appropriate for hiking, and for bus riding :)

Depends on what your Columbia jacket is made of -- I know MINE is water repellant, not waterproof. Got soaked to the SKIN a couple of weekends ago in a snowstorm where we live. Took most of the day to warm up after that.

I haven't worn standard hiking boots for years. In Alaska they can pick up mud and get too heavy.

I wear hiking shoes, with the above mentioned New Balance insoles and wool socks.

I carry along extra socks and change socks when my feet get wet.

I layer jackets.

You will be comfortable on the train.

We take Frog Toggs for rain gear. Coat & pants. The feel like a paper product and will fold into a small corner of your suit case.

We wear them on our motorcycle and know they are very very durable. We know they are wind proof and rain proof. Its called the bad weather experience.

We can only hope that you have only sunny days! :)

Can't help you on hiking boots. We did not hike and had very nice weather except for one sea day in May, 2007. Tennis shoes were standard for us!

Hmmm, I have off and on considered taking my heavy, steel toe, waterproof, slide resistant work boots, but i would have to wear them there and back, because they are heavy, but i depend on them and they are comfortable, I can pack tennies, and sandals, but for the glaciers and the whale watching, I am really thinking something goood and stable would be best. I can always take them off on the plane, but going thru customs will be interesting. I know they set off metal detectors...I have time to decide....whatch y'all think?

I wouldn't take heavy steel toed boots on a trip. I have already started shopping for my June 2009 Alaska trip (which will also be useful for the upcoming northeastern winter) I just ordered a pair of light goretex shoes online for about $75. I plan to wear them this winter and break them in for next years Alaska trip.

In terms of socks I think smartwool makes great hiking socks that are very comfortable.

I own Frogg Toggs and keep a set in my car for emergencies. They don't seem to wear out.

I don't know about wearing really heavy hiking boots in Alaska. We all used to do that......back in the 1970's.....but new technogy and theories on what works best has long since taken me to wearing much lighter shoes that go no higher than my ankles.

Heavy boots make me tired especially when they clog up with snow and/or mud and gravel.

We all have heavy boots to wear when doing heavy or dangerous outdoor work. We don't want to lose any toes. But I don't hike in them.

I bought some New Balance waterproof low-hikers and loved them!!!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,33989_Dunham-Terrastryder-Low-Trail-Shoes-Waterproof-For-Women.html

I also bought some of the higher ones and tried them out at home, but returned those. I just couldn't get used to having shoes over my ankles. Unless you are doing some serious hiking, I would say the low waterproof hikers will be fine. They kept me nice and warm on the cruise ship too when we were out on deck viewing the scenery on those cold days we had in June. I felt mine gave me very good support. We hiked to Exit Glacier and did a hike at Denali. I felt they gave me good support. On our boat trip out of Seward I was out on deck when the captain turned the bow into a waterfall. The water came over onto the deck and it spilled over my shoes. I stayed totally dry. I was very pleased.

I used merino wool socks which kept me warm and did not itch. This was my first experience with a non-itchy wool. They were great. However, I just learned about the smartwool socks. Here is wmgirl00's post from Trip Advisor. I will definitely be looking into these for the future:

"We also wore our smartwool socks which came in handy when I stepped into the glacial water on our hike. At first my foot was freezing, but within 15 seconds I had a dry foot! It was AMAZING! Those socks may be expensive, but it totally paid for itself in that single instance."

As far as rain gear, whatever you get, make sure it is waterproof rather than water resistant. You also want something breathable. Some people just bring ponchos, but my DH and I were glad we had waterproof jackets.

Okay....won't take the work boots. I too was thinking get the shoes early, and wear them just enough until they are comfortable, but not worn out. I found some Raeboks at Sams that fit, but realized they had mesh top and sides. I guess I can get a can of waterproof spray. I really hate to buy shoes. I will wait until my feet hurt unbearably, the shoes are developing holes, and have gone thru more than one pair of new insoles before I go shopping. I am on my feet 48 hours a week on hard floors, and nothing ever lasts much more than 6 months. The sole can be fine, but they wear from the inside down. So you can see why I am concerned about shoes with still 256 days to wait!

48 hours a week on hard floors! Ouch!

My feet have been holding up fine but one of my knees is really bad. I can go uphill almost as well as when I was younger, but downhill hurts!

The New Balance inserts really took the strain off my knee. No idea why.

You have to keep your feet dry. I allow the weight (and I am very picky about weight) to have extra socks with me at all times when hiking.

Socks can always stand in for gloves if your hands get really cold.

From the advice of someone else on these boards, I wore gore-tex Merrell's and found them to be ideal. Even though we never did heavy duty hiking, we did get out on a few trails. The shoes were comfortable, warm, lightweight, supportive, and my feet were never wet. We did have excellent weather, but some of the trails were damp and a bit slippery.

I want to start breaking in some shoes/boots for next August My thinking is low top hiking shoes so they would be comfortable in trains and buses which most of our land tour will be. We won't have time for all-day hikes except maybe at port calls. Will low tops (I've seen some Merrill and Keen brands) be sufficient as long as they are waterproof?

Socks -- would a liner be advisable with wool type socks? Any other suggestions for types of socks?

Are the McKinley Explorer trains comfortable temperatures? How about the Denali TWT buses? Don't want to have "sweaty" feet and gross everyone out!

I'd like to hear more about rain gear too, but that's for another topic. Don't know if my Columbia jacket with liner will be "waterproof enough".

Thank you,

NeilFan

You are on the right track here, low tops are more than adequate for the tour you are on, wool socks great you could probably get away with cotton. Merrill are great, I like Columbia, I don't like Timberland...just a fit thing and don't know Keen. If they are not waterproof then just spray them with waterproofing. I don't know your Columbia jacket but if it is relatively new and hasn't been washed too much than it will probably be just fine....if it is older then just spray it with waterproofing. I prefer a zip out linner because if the jacket does get wet it is easier to dry aboard ship.

We are very active and were going to pack hiking boots. When we saw how much space they consumed we decided to take low top hiking shoes instead. We were very glad we did that, and never felt we needed boots. We hiked on trails in most of the ports and in Denali. They were also good for walking around in towns (Juneau has many metal and wooden stairs and walkways, often wet).

Last thought, the hiking shoes got damp and muddy even in town, so we wore nicer casual shoes onboard ship.

I got curious and took my hiking boots out and put them on for a hike today in North Texas. I haven't worn them in a long while. Forgot how heavy they area.

Also they would be a real mess going through a TSA checkpoint.

I walked for about 40 minutes uphill and down. My legs got so tired! I felt like I was lifting weights.

I came home, swtiched to my hiking shoes and did the same walk over again. What a difference!

My hiking boots are old technology! On the 2nd trip I was much more comfortable, was able to walk more quickly and was not feeling like I was weight lifting.

For me the question is answered: hiking shoes!

I would never be without my (newer design, lightweight and waterproof) hiking boots for an extended backpacking trip in mountainous terrain (where I might be hiking across loose gravel at an angle or wading in shallow streams. Just not worth risking a sprained ankle. I did bring them to alaska last time, but we took a number of extended day hikes in the Denal and Fairbanks area. I almost never use them here in MN, however.

I opted for my low-top hiking shoes for our alaska cruise this summer, and they were more than adequate.

Years ago, when I spent a month on the Aleutian island of Attu, high top rubber boots were the only footwear that kept my feet dry in the soggy conditions. Now I have a pair of NEOS (knee high waterproof lightweight overshoes--similar to what coastal helicopters in Juneau gave us to use on our glacier walk) that I can fit over top of any walking or hiking shoe for when the going gets soggy.

Archived