Doing Florence and Pisa on your own.

Has anyone done Florence and Pisa on their own and how did you do it, what worked best? We want to see David at the Accademia and just walk around Florence. We want to see the leaning tower in Pisa, but not necessarily walk up it!

You need to get to the Pisa train station. There are frequent trains from there it Pisa and then trains from there to Florence.

You want to get tickets to the Accademia in advance (you can call directly or for extra $ use a service.. all sorts of details here on this board).

The Field of Miracles is much more that the Tower. It is one of the loveliest public spaces anywhere.

We did the trip to Florence & Pisa on our own in May 07. The most difficult part was getting from the ship to Livorno Centrale station to catch the train. We knew we needed to get an early start to accomplish everything. Also we had made 10:30 reservations at the Accademia Museum in Florence to see The David and the train trip to Florence takes over an hour. We were waiting at the gangway before anyone was allowed off the ship. Found a group of six other passengers who had the exact same goal as we did. One of the families was VERY motivated because they had reserved 9:45 tickets to the Accademia! He actually negotiated his way off the ship earler than anyone to go talk with taxi drivers parked right by our ship. (i think he must have been a lawyer!) The cab drivers are looking for full fares to Florence or Pisa, so it does take some excellent negotiating skills to get them to agree to just take you to the train station! The rest of our allied group got off the ship and started negotiating with the taxi drivers, too. After a few minutes one driver with a large wagon taxi agreed to take the eight of us to the station for a total of 30€. It is only a few miles, but would take far to long to walk, IMHO. We all chipped in and were on our way! Made it to the train station, purchased our round trip fares and validated out tickets in the little machine before boarding the train to Livorno. That family with the 9:45 appointment had to literally run to make it to the Accademia after we reached Florence, but they DID make it (allbeit about 10 minutes late - but were allowed to tour it.) We had some time before our Accademia time to look around; we admired the Baptistry doors at the Duomo and everything around it. Then we went for our appointed time at the Accademia. Fantastic and not to be missed! Afterward we walked back and got in the line to tour the Duomo church (free). The we walked all over Florence saw the outside David, the Ponte Vecchio bridge over the Arno River, the artist and artisan stalls and a number of other wonderful sights. Then it was back to the train to head to Pisa. We actually ended up walking both ways from the train and back into town. When we finished touring Pisa it was back on the train to Livorno where we were just in time to catch the #1 bus (1€) to the square in Livorno where we caught our ship's shuttle back. Most ship shuttle's will cost $5 - $10 pp). Ours on that trip (HAL Veendam) was free becuase we had to berth so very far out, I was told. Not the usual case though. We saved so much over the ship's tour cost and it is not too difficult to do.

I am trying to plan to see if we can do Florence and Pisa on our own. I read your previous post and just want to confirm...... the train that runs from Livorno to Florence also stops at Pisa and you can walk to the Field of Miracles from the train station?

Thanks - Susan

I am trying to plan to see if we can do Florence and Pisa on our own. I read your previous post and just want to confirm...... the train that runs from Livorno to Florence also stops at Pisa and you can walk to the Field of Miracles from the train station?

Thanks - Susan

All trains from Livorno to Florence (and return) stop in Pisa. Stop means just that, many go on without a change in trains.

You can walk but it is about 33-45 minutes to do so. There are local buses available right near the train station that will take you there. 1 Euro per person.

Here is the bus info per the Tower website:

Tower of Pisa:

1) From Station Pisa CentraleBy bus*:

N. 3 (opposite the main entrance of the station) stop in via Cammeo/Piazza Manin

N. 4 ((opposite the main entrance of the station) stop in via Cammeo

Florence is one of the most walkable cities in Europe, perhaps the best in this regard. Google a map of Florence and you will see that just a few blocks from the train station puts you where you want to be. The main drag from the train station to the Bridge takes you near practically everything you want to see. You will love Florence.

It is perhaps a 20 to 30 minute walk from the train station in Pisa to the tower, but it is a great walk. Again, print a map of Pisa and navigate yourself. As noted above the bapistry and cathedral are as fascinating as the Leaning Tower, and the ensemble in its entirety is absolutely remarkable.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be to grab a cab at the station in Pisa to get to the tower. We wasted 40 mins on the city bus & were late for our tower climb. IMO - time is of the essence on these very sight intensive cities. I personally wouldn't waste time walking 40 mins. Just my opinion.

Regarding taxis to the train station in Livorno. We had no problem getting one. We told them what we wanted & they yelled over for one guy to take us. Seemed like maybe there was a guy or two that were designated for that. It was 20E, and contrary to what I had read here on CC, the taxi fare back to the ship from Livorno station was NOT 7 or 8E, it was another 20E. Just FYI.

We couldn't make the 8am train in Livorno, so there was a 9am, that arrived about 10:30am.

We were in Livorno last tuesday and did Pisa on our own. Was very easy

The local authority provide a courtesy bus from the port to Livorno central and the cost was €1 each return.This drops you right beside an information kiosk where you can ask for directions to the bus stop where you will need to catch a No.1 bus to Livorno station, I think €2 each return(Make sure you go the right way as buses stop there for both directions).

Then from Livorno station you can get the train to Pisa (€9 I Think)

From pisa station we walked to the tower. If you go straight out the front of the station and carry on walking straight you will find a tourist info on the first corner where you can pick up a map and directions.

The walk took us about 15 mins there and is a very pleasant stroll across the river and about ten mins back as with the map there is a quicker way.

I`d recommend it on your own, try it it`s sop easy

Hope this helps. Any questions I`ll try to help if I can

Regards

Pete

We found the walk from the train station to the Field of Miracles and back in Pisa to be very easy and interesting. But we do walk at least four miles for exercise every single day at home and have no physical limitations in that regard. We learn so much more about an area when we walk it, and after walking across the Arno River using the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, and then seeingthe same river again, so close to the sea in Pisa, really made the geography and history of that area of Tuscany come alive for us. There is nothing like traveling to keep life exciting, in our opinion! :D

I would certainly advise you NOT to try and see Florence and Pisa in one day. Just stick to Florence. As someone said it is the most walkable city in Europe. There is so much to see and do in Florence. One short day just scratches the surface.

As you know all the major galleries ( Academia, Ufittzi, Pitti Place) make phone-in reservations which will prevent you from having to wait in lines. If you have interest in Michelangelo visit the Medici Tombs for more of his work. There are several wonderful churches besides the Duomo. While at the Duomo do go in the Baptistry which has the most marvelous mosaics that I have ever seen. Outdoor plazas, fountains and sculpture should not be missed. Sit and have a coffee or wine on the Plaza di Signorini. (sp)

If you enjoy shopping or just window shopping outdoor markets and/or up-scale shops are within easy walking distances.

We lived in Italy for three years and have made many trips to Florence, Pisa and other Tuscan cities. Florence is just a magical place.

Archived