ATM's ?

akachop

I generally bring a couple hundred dollars in USD but use credit card wherever possible. If I actually need local currency I get it from an ATM. My bank does not charge a fee for int'l ATM withdrawals and they give a great exchange rate. They will even reimburse an ATM fee that might be assessed by the foreign bank.

I generally bring a couple hundred dollars in USD but use credit card wherever possible. If I actually need local currency I get it from an ATM. My bank does not charge a fee for int'l ATM withdrawals and they give a great exchange rate. They will even reimburse an ATM fee that might be assessed by the foreign bank.

European ATM's will give the best exchange rate. There is a 2-3% international service fee with your Visa or Mastercard. Your bank can tell you what it charges.

For purchases in Europe, I recommend a Capitol One credit card. They do not charge a 2-3% international service fee.

European ATM's will give the best exchange rate. There is a 2-3% international service fee with your Visa or Mastercard. Your bank can tell you what it charges.

For purchases in Europe, I recommend a Capitol One credit card. They do not charge a 2-3% international service fee.

I concur 100% with the above! Just be sure you use that Capitol One card as a credit card only. Cash advances (using their credit card for cash at an ATM) are VERY costly!

Someone above (maybe the OP, I've lost track) mentioned Roatan as one of the ports they were visiting. In my experience, ATM's on Roatan can be few and far between, sometimes out of order, and they usually dispense Lempira (the local currency). Maybe at some of the AI resorts this is different.

I've used the one at the airport with no trouble and tried to use them in West End with little success. One factor is that the last couple of years we've visited Roatan, they are without power much of the time. (Too much growth too fast, there's just not enough power for itall.) If the establishment you're in doesn't have its own generator, you won't be able to use an ATM. When we were there last March, some kind of new management was theoretically taking over the power plant, so maybe things have changed or will with the outages. Just be prepared!

ee

Archived