tour to Fisherman's Cove

travelbig

Is it worth the trip over to see Fisherman's Cove? It looks like we will have to take a ferry from Halifax to the Woodside ferry terminal and then take bus 60 over to the intersection of Pleasant St. and Cow Bay Rd. and then walk over to Fisherman's Cove. I think the charge for this ferry/bus trip is only $2.00 per person. Is this right? Is the Harbor Queen another alternative for people not on a ship tour? If so, how much does that cost? Does it take you right to the dock at Fisherman's Cove. We will not be able to use the Harbour Taxi, it will be closed for the season. Can someone please give me your thoughts in regard to visiting Fisherman's Cove. We have already been to Peggy's Cove, done the city tour and gone to the Maritime Museum on past visits. Thank you.

The Habour Queen is only available for tours, it would not be an option for getting to Fisherman's Cove. The price for the ferry/bus seems correct. Just make sure you ask for a transfer when you get on the ferry, you'll need it to get on the bus for free. If you get another transfer from the bus, you can use it for another 90 minutes (I think).

Personally, I don't really think there is anything exciting there, but I grew up near by, and may be a little biased. There's mostly little shops and restaurants. I don't remember it looking anything like the pics on the website fishermanscove dot ns dot ca) either. Maybe it has changed.

NSgal,

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about the place when I found a map of it on the internet and it shows it to be like a tourist shopping area on the water. No doubt, it will be very pretty there, and scenic, but not much to do after getting there. Some other locations were mentioned on a tour site. Will you or someone else tell me if any of these locations are worth going to? They are St. Margaret's Bay and Mahone Bay. Lunenburg. The Eastern Shore (The Gold Coast). Would any of these locations be worth going to and can it be done in no more than 5 hours? Also, if I could ask one more thing - how far is it from the ship pier in Halifax to Point Pleasant Park? Is it a nice park for walking along the water's edge and for enjoying the out-of-doors in general? Thank you for your help.

We did this when we were in Halifax on Sept. 10. We really had a nice time.

We went to the Maritime Museum and then got on the FRED. The guide mentioned a ferry and we just kinda said "Why not?" So, we got off at the ferry stop- not having any idea what we were doing. We got in line to buy our tickets and were short $.15 Canadian, and the very nice lady behind us gave it to us. We asked the ticket-taker where we should go and what we should do and he told us about taking the number 60 bus to Eastern Passage and Fisherman's Cove. We sat with the sweet lady that gave us the $.15 and she agreed with the ticket-taker. After we talked awhile, she volunteered to take the day off work and show us around. We politely declined. We found the bus with no problem and got to Fisherman's Cove in just a few minutes. The previous poster was right about not being very much to do, but it was nice not having so many people around, either. It felt more like we were with local people. We had lunch at Boondocks Restaurant, hit a few shops, and headed back for the number 60. Neither of us bothered to bring a watch, and our cell phones were all over the place, so we were clueless as to the time (I don't recommend that, by the way). So, we stopped in the little store (DH calls it a convenience store, but it reminded me of a bait shop I saw as a child) and asked if the bus had passed and when. The store clerk was some sort of professional bus rider and was telling us about all of the different combinations we could take and when he saw that we were getting a little confused, we walked us across the street to the bus stop, waited with us, got on the bus with us, rode with us to the ferry stop, walked us to the ferry and waited to make sure we got on okay.

Yeah, I know that was a long story, but we were truly overwhelmed, and I honestly think that there is a benefit to getting away from all of the tourists for a little while.

NSgal,

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about the place when I found a map of it on the internet and it shows it to be like a tourist shopping area on the water. No doubt, it will be very pretty there, and scenic, but not much to do after getting there. Some other locations were mentioned on a tour site. Will you or someone else tell me if any of these locations are worth going to? They are St. Margaret's Bay and Mahone Bay. Lunenburg. The Eastern Shore (The Gold Coast). Would any of these locations be worth going to and can it be done in no more than 5 hours? Also, if I could ask one more thing - how far is it from the ship pier in Halifax to Point Pleasant Park? Is it a nice park for walking along the water's edge and for enjoying the out-of-doors in general? Thank you for your help.

Point Pleasant park is beautiful, however it's never really recovered from Hurricane Juan 5 years ago. Still, it's a lovely place to walk around. There are some old military "ruins" to climb around and the Martello Tower as well.

St Margaret's Bay and Peggy's Cove are basically the same place. Peggy is a nickname for Margaret. Mahone Bay is one of my favorite places to go when I make it home to NS. They have the "3 churches", you should be able to Google it, some great shopping. Small town, I love it. Lunenburg is a World Heritage UNESCO site, and home of the Bluenose. They have a really nice fishermans' museum as well. Mahone Bay is about an hours drive from Halifax (approximately). I'm really not sure what part of the Eastern Shore is considered the "Gold Coast", sorry. I grew up in Lawrencetown (just outside of Halifax, on the Eastern Shore). There's a nice beach there. Personally, if you were looking to get out of the city, I would go to Mahone Bay or Lunenburg. You get the same "local flavour" but I think there would be more to see than going to Fisherman's Cove.

Swells1 and NS gal,

Thank you so much for your replys. All this info will definitely help us with planning our day. It might help others, also, who are wondering what is worth going to. I find it hard to believe that the ship tour to Fisherman's Cove is $69 per person. I hope people research this place before booking. Thanks again.

Swells1 - You certainly got a lot of personal attention!

Archived