Dawn to NYC August 2009

riddle

We are going to book the 8/2/09 cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda. We will be driving to NYC from Ohio. Anyone with advice on how we should handle the big city...we will arrive about a day before the cruise leaves. We would like to see a little of the city. Any advice on where to stay, where we leave our car, how we get the port, etc. would be great!

We are going to book the 8/2/09 cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda. We will be driving to NYC from Ohio. Anyone with advice on how we should handle the big city...we will arrive about a day before the cruise leaves. We would like to see a little of the city. Any advice on where to stay, where we leave our car, how we get the port, etc. would be great!

I never drive into the city and im a native New Yorker , in jersey now. You are better off stopping in New jersey and take a train into the city. I always take a train into the city because of the traffic, i dont like to mess with that. It's really hard to say what to do, its your choice. I know there is parking at the port but there is a charge for each day.

Search is down at the moment, but a few weeks back someone mentioned a parking garage a few blocks away...The cost for parking was about 1/2 what NCL is charging. They dropped off passengers and luggage, drove a few blocks to the other garage, and were back within 15 minutes.

Thing to do...South Street Seaport, SS Intrepid, Statue of Liberty. The Marriott near Times Square is a great place to visit if not stay....has revolving lounge/restaurant with great views of the city.

Riddle...look at this hotel which is immediately across the river from NYC:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1177

The city is easily accessible from this hotel by water-taxi, or the train we call the "PATH".

I would advise not taking your car into the city until you're on your way to board the ship. And having parked at the pier probably 14 or 15 times (& will be doing it again this Sunday) I can assure you it's much more convenient than any other "garage". Yeah it's $210...but so well worth it...especially on disembarkation morning!

• 1 month later...

I don't know how long the drive will be, but I do know that Amtrak to New York's Penn Station is quite convenient and you will not have any issues about where to park, how much $, getting around Manhattan, etc.

If you're a AAA member you can get a 10-15% discount and if you have Amex points, you may redeem them to pay for your roundtrip fare.

I went to Amtrak's site and from Cincinnati to New York Penn Station and vice versa, it takes approximately 18 hrs and the fare is $168 one way. I used July 31 as a departure date with August 9 as a return date.

Just an fyi. Good luck.;)

I don't know how long the drive will be, but I do know that Amtrak to New York's Penn Station is quite convenient and you will not have any issues about where to park, how much $, getting around Manhattan, etc.

We are outside of Philly and this is what we do. Very easy!

Hi riddle :)

Some hotels in NYC hotels have parking available for an additional charge and you can park your car at the cruise terminal in Manhattan during your cruise.

I would recommend seeing the Ellis Island and the Tenement Museums while you are in New York City.

Prices for New York hotels are unpredictable. Sometimes one hotel is overpriced while another is reasonable, and at other times it is just the opposite.

When we travel we usually see what is available at what price on the AAA website. If a hotel has three or more stars and is reasonably priced we then check it out on Trip Advisor to see what other people have said about it.

BTW - We will be taking a cruise from NYC to Bermuda on Dawn in June 2009 and plan to park our car at the cruise terminal.

Archived