Is The Boatyard similar to private islands?

cruzinchris

For those of you who have been to The Boatyard, would you compare it to the private islands of cruiselines? I've been to Princess Cays several times, and wonder if The Boatyard would seem like another day at Princess' private island in the Bahamas. Haven't sailed on another line since 1997, so I have no experience with private island facilities of other cruiselines.

DH and I have been to Barbados before and are looking for a relaxing beach day because we'll be on excursions in three of our other ports when we're on the Emerald Princess in January.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

I'm guessing in one way.. maybe it is like a private island.. but on a very public beach.

The amenities (Bar, Bathrooms, Beach Chairs, Water toys etc) provided by The BoatYard are the the use of the guests, but the beach in front of it is a very public beach, so it's you and whom ever wishes to sit down next to you.

I've never been to any of the cruise line private island, but I'm guessing they are just that, private, with no other people but those on the cruise on the island with you.

I'm guessing in one way.. maybe it is like a private island.. but on a very public beach. The amenities (Bar, Bathrooms, Beach Chairs, Water toys etc) provided by The BoatYard are the the use of the guests, but the beach in front of it is a very public beach, so it's you and whom ever wishes to sit down next to you. I've never been to any of the cruise line private island, but I'm guessing they are just that, private, with no other people but those on the cruise on the island with you.

Thanks for your response.

I read The Boatyard website and several reviews about the facility. It is actually quite similar to Princess Cays - Princess Cruises private island on Eleuthera in the Bahamas. If you're on a ship with 3,500 passengers, the "private" island can get pretty crowded :D

Princess Cays offers the same types of water toys, pedal boats, Banana Boat rides, etc., snorkeling, cabanas, and some beach bungalows for nominal rental fees. A BBQ lunch is provided (free) at two locations along the beach, and there are bars, a gift shop, restrooms, and changing facilities. Cruise staff organize beach volleyball and other activities throughout the day in port. There is also a supervised play area for children.

Following my research, I think that the "quieter" Malibu Beach is a better choice for us, and Princess' "Malibu Beach Blast" excursion that includes transportation to/from the beach, a tour of the distillery with rum samples, lounge chairs, umbrellas, and a complimentary cocktail is offered at a good price - $29 per person.

Sailing on the beautiful Emerald Princess (again!) January 19, 2009...

Chris

Thanks for your response.

I

Princess Cays offers the same types of water toys, pedal boats, Banana Boat rides, etc., snorkeling, cabanas, and some beach bungalows for nominal rental fees. A BBQ lunch is provided (free) at two locations along the beach, and there are bars, a gift shop, restrooms, and changing facilities. Cruise staff organize beach volleyball and other activities throughout the day in port. There is also a supervised play area for children.

Following my research, I think that the "quieter" Malibu Beach is a better choice for us, and Princess' "Malibu Beach Blast" excursion that includes transportation to/from the beach, a tour of the distillery with rum samples, lounge chairs, umbrellas, and a complimentary cocktail is offered at a good price - $29 per person.

Sailing on the beautiful Emerald Princess (again!) January 19, 2009...

Chris

Boatyard doesn't do free anything except the water toys and chair (and bathroom etc). Food and drink are extra (and in my on opinion over priced.) and you pay extra for an umberlla. I think the rate for Malibu is reasonable. Enjoy your day..

I can't say for certain as it's been a while since I've been down there, but I don't think anyone here does sunfish, and if they have hobie cats, it's extra (how much.. again, i'm no help). I do recall seeing someone a year or so ago with a hobie on the same beach in front of BoatYard, but don't know if it's their's or someone elses.. The water toys I refer to are thing like a climbing iceberg and 2 water trampolines. They have a rope swing from their pier, but it's not used all the time.

Does anyone know if they have small sailboats such as sunfish or hobie cats? If so, are they included as "water toys" or is there an extra charge (how much)?

Similarly to cruiseline private islands, watercraft at The Boatyard have rental fees. Here's the link to The Boatyard website for more info:

http://www.theboatyard.com/

You can also find out more about the resort by reading online commentaries - search The Boatyard Barbados reviews. It sounds like a really fun place, but DH and I want a quiet day at the beach. I think we'll enjoy Malibu Beach.

Chris

Archived