Snorkleing for heavyset person

djmcwilliams106

I am a heavier/healthier woman. I have been looking online for a snorkel vest and so far have found them where the maximum weight is 250 lbs. I am over that weight limit and not able to tread water. Does anyone know if I can purchase a vest for persons over the 250 lb limit? I went snorkeling some many years ago when I was lighter and would love to try it again on my upcoming cruise but am afraid that I may not be able to stay up and would feel more comfortable with a vest. But if they don't make them for my weight then I may have to find another hobby to try.

I am a heavier/healthier woman. I have been looking online for a snorkel vest and so far have found them where the maximum weight is 250 lbs. I am over that weight limit and not able to tread water. Does anyone know if I can purchase a vest for persons over the 250 lb limit? I went snorkeling some many years ago when I was lighter and would love to try it again on my upcoming cruise but am afraid that I may not be able to stay up and would feel more comfortable with a vest. But if they don't make them for my weight then I may have to find another hobby to try.

Have never used a snorkle vest my bet is you will not sink in salt water.I carry a 2 lb. weight to help me get down while snorkelling.More of a challenge may be getting back into a boat if you decide to use one.Please do not let that stop you from visiting another world.

A couple things....

The other poster is correct, adding weight, unless you're a weight lifter probably will actually make you more bouyant in salt water. Also, you can go with a flotation belt if you want (see below) that goes around your middle or under your arms if you wish. An there's always those pool noodles but these require a bit of bulk space to bring along. swimmingshop_2019_51282731

319FKGSWP2L._AA280_.jpg

Randall

I just want to encourage you to do it. I'm plus-sized too and just snorkeled for the first time. I LOVED IT and am HOOKED. In fact, I'm looking for where we can possibly snorkel when we go on our next cruise in about 6 weeks or so.

Try it--and I didn't have any problem getting up the ladder, which was a big concern of mine.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

I just want to encourage you to do it. I'm plus-sized too and just snorkeled for the first time. I LOVED IT and am HOOKED. In fact, I'm looking for where we can possibly snorkel when we go on our next cruise in about 6 weeks or so.

Try it--and I didn't have any problem getting up the ladder, which was a big concern of mine.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I went to six flags this summer (haven't been to an amusement park in a few years) and wasn't able to get on any of the coaster as I have gained some weight since my last trip. I'm a huge coaster fan and chaser. I cried because it was so disheartening to not be able to do something you love because of weight. I was concerned snorkeling would be the same & I wanted to save myself that type of embarrassment again. Great motivation though I have lost 10 lbs in past 6 weeks and plan on losing much much more. Don't get me wrong I love my size but when it becomes an issue & obstacle to my enjoying things in life that I like to do I have to do something about it. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Don't worry about sinking - you will do just fine.

I'm 5'6", 250lbs, DH is 6'5", 290lbs, on the far side of 40, and we're divers. Water sports are not just for the super young and fit.

If you are comfortable snorkeling, you might want to think about a Discover Dive next trip.

Enjoy!

Wendy

2275292940055701600S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I went to six flags this summer (haven't been to an amusement park in a few years) and wasn't able to get on any of the coaster as I have gained some weight since my last trip. I'm a huge coaster fan and chaser. I cried because it was so disheartening to not be able to do something you love because of weight. I was concerned snorkeling would be the same & I wanted to save myself that type of embarrassment again. Great motivation though I have lost 10 lbs in past 6 weeks and plan on losing much much more. Don't get me wrong I love my size but when it becomes an issue & obstacle to my enjoying things in life that I like to do I have to do something about it. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Sounds like encouragement isn't needed, you've got the right frame of mind already! Enjoy your snorkel trip and wave hello to the fishes for me. :D

Randall

Archived