TruTravel Insurance

clerky96

There were some earlier posts with some questions about this travel insurance company. I had already purchased it for our upcoming cruise and here is my story;

I have always purchased travel insurance, but never had to use it. I always went to insuremytrip.com and compared policies. This time we went with TruTravel because they had very reasonable rates.

DH was one of those "in perfect health" people. In mid June he started having pain in both elbows. At the end of June he had to have a stress test and emergency cardiac bypass surgery. Six bypasses. Two months later, after recovery was nearly complete, we decided to take a cruise this fall to relax and put all this stress behind us. Booked the air/hotel/cruise/insurance all on the same day. DH got ill the next day with an unusual bleeding disorder called ITP. This causes very low blood platelets. Normal platelet count is 150,000-450,000. His were 4,000. He was hospitalized for 5 days and blood platelets finally rose only enough to go home. For the next couple of weeks he received various treatments that did little to aleviate the problem. We still had high hopes that the platelets would rise and we could go on our cruise. A few morning later, he awakened with his heart in A-fib. Very rapid and irregular heartbeats. Again was hospitalized, only to find out that he was one of the few whose bypasses had not "taken". This time he had to have 3 stents implanted into his heart. Because of the blood platelet disorder, this was a tricky situation. That was 10 days ago. Blood platelets have improved a bit, but are still not normal. Dr's have said "absolutely not" to going on our vacation. So, we have filed our paperwork. Hopefully we will recoup all of our money (except the insurance) and will be able to rebook in the future. Will let whoever was asking about TruTravel know if/when we receive insurance reimbursement.

Moral of this story is; no matter how healthy you think you are, you may have a "surprise" in store for you.

Archived