Organised tours vs touring with the locals

Having just returned from voyage W826 and after hearing quite a few not so favourable organised tours stories, I wanted to share our experience especially for those going on their first cruise.

The brochures say to only go on organised tours for various reasons, however, we are a family of 4 and travelled with friends, a family of 6. Booking organised tours wasn't in either family's budget, considering the average tour was around $80-$100 (the cheapest we saw was $59, going up to over $400 for deep sea diving). We didn't want to miss out on any sights either so each time we reached a port, we would talk with the locals to see who could offer us the best deal.

For those going on their first cruise, don't be afraid to haggle over what you think is a reasonable price and say up front what you expect from the driver. As an example, we needed a mini van to seat 10 people, we wanted the driver to take us around to the touristy sites plus a beach so we could swim/snorkel for about an hour. We told the driver he would have to stay with us the whole time (not drop us off, then come back to pick us up), we wanted his services for 4-5 hours (depending on how much to do/see) and that he would be paid once he dropped us back off at the ship. All the drivers settled for $80 (4 hrs) - $100 (5 hrs), so at $8-$10 per head, we were happy with that. To top things off, 2 of the drivers took us back to their homes to show us where/how they lived. We met their families and had some refreshments before returning to the ship. We certainly didn't expect this and as a way of saying 'thanks' we paid them an extra $20 at the conclusion of the trip. A great day for us, with special memories we'll always cherish.

We also saw other Pacific Dawn cruisers doing the same, so don't think you can't see the sites on a cheaper scale if budgets don't permit you to go on an organised tour. Just be wary, set the rules and DON'T PAY UP FRONT.

Cheers,

PAC (aka Passionate About Cruising):D

From the opposite perspective on the same cruise - we did P&O Shore tours in Savu Savu, Nuku'alofa, Port Denarau and Noumea and had no complaints about the quality of the tours, although I did hear some of the complaints that PAC is talking about, from other cruisers.

The tours may seem a bit pricey - and indeed we didn't do a couple of tours because of the price - but for that you do a level of security knowing you're not going to be taken somewhere and then suddenly be asked for more money to get you back.. or that if the tour runs late or longer than expected, you won't get left behind.

Like most things, ultimately is personal choice and what you feel most comfortable doing.

Hi PAC,

I know where you are coming from with the cost of tours for a family. We always do our own tours and have never felt unsafe or been asked for more money. We negotiate clearly before we get in and always have a great time. We usually do the tour in the morning and go back to the ship for lunch, but on our cruise to Tahiti later this month we have booked some full day tours. The distances are not great and we will be within 'striking distance' of the ship long before sailing time. :):)

I was impressed with Audrey the shore tours lady on our cruise, because she was very honest, and recognised that people sometimes want to do their own thing and not do a P&O organised tour. During her 'tour talks' she was giving information about where to go in the different ports to find some local operators who offer cheap sightseeing.

Even with the P&O tours she was quick to point out the tours that went to the same places, and advised that "there's no point booking this tour if you're going on that one because you'll see the same things".

Years ago on the Fairstar, the Tour Director would outline on a whiteboard a plan of the docks and where to go to see things on your own. If it was relevant, he would tell us how to catch public transport.

Our cruise to Alaska in 2000 on the Carnival ship The Jubilee (now Pacific Sun) was the first where we observed a policy of actively discouraging passengers from doing there own thing. They tried to frighten passengers with stories of sub-standard vehicles breaking down and leaving you stranded etc. etc. Then we noticed that the bus we went on independently in the afternoon for $2 each was the same vehicle that Carnival had used for its tour earlier in the day.;)

It is probably easier to just book the ship's tours, but on our self-organised tours we see more, have more freedom and it costs less. Everyone does what suits them.:):):)

Evon.

Hi PAC,

We have mostly gone on tours booked through P.O, for both security and convience, but have also gone on private tours. If we go on a private one we make sure it is the morning so that if anything happens we will have time to get back to the boat before sailing time. I would imagine the worst feeling would be to get back to dock and see the boat has sailed.:)

• 2 weeks later...

It might sound like a stupid question but how do you know where to get the private tours ? are they just standing around when you get off the ship ?

We have 5 children under 10, If anyone can recommend any private tours/activities I would be most appreciative, we sail Feb 6 on PD

It might sound like a stupid question but how do you know where to get the private tours ? are they just standing around when you get off the ship ?

We have 5 children under 10, If anyone can recommend any private tours/activities I would be most appreciative, we sail Feb 6 on PD

Hi meljup,

At Noumea there are a few tours you can book in the terminal. At Suva there are plenty of cab drivers all itching to take you on a tour around the city or to anywhere you might want to go. At Savusavu once again plenty of cabbies who will give a tour of the island. When you get to Vila you will see the line up of cars just waiting to once again take you into the town or anywhere you wish to be taken. For most of the trips in cabs/cars you will need to do your homework and find where you may want to go, otherwise most of them will be able to show you the sights of their citys/towns. At Dravuni Island, Mystery Island and Isle of Pines there are no shore tours organised from P.&O.(at least not when I was at these islands). At Isle of Pines there is a minibus tour you can do that takes you around part the island. This is just near the tender wharf.

Hope this helps you with your plans, but I would suggest you google all the places you are going to and find out what places of interest there are.:) :)

Hi Meljup,

I suggest you read through the info on tours offered by P & O to help you decide what you want to do. As has already been suggested, take a local taxi to the sights that interest you. For our 28 night cruise to Tahiti, a couple of us have researched on the internet and found some local tour operators. After reading the P & O tour info and tourism websites, we know what questions to ask the tour operator.:):)

Evon.

I totally agree with passionate about cruising. There are parts of the world where I would be more wary but certainly around the pacific (maybe not NG) there is very little risk...take a mobile, have a few of you, set the boundaries i.e. paid at end only..be respectful. If you get great service get the details and contact information and pass it onto others via here. The more work they get the better for their families and the money really does pass down into the communities and help foster good relationships between locals and tourists.

Shore tours are too expensive..bottom line they need to offer more than they do for less.

Archived