Coffee Makers In Rooms On Dawn

johnslig

Are the coffee makers in the rooms, on the Dawn, normal brewing makers or do they only acccomodate ready made pouches of coffee? This may sound strange, but we are hooked on Tim Horton's coffee and thought we'd bring a tin onboard .

Fellow Canadians will definately appreciate the addiction :p

None of the above ! Bring a french press and your own coffee . It is more of a hot pot you can boil water in. Good for Tea or instant coffee.

BTW - room service coffee is not bad and makes a great wake up call. Just hang the card out the night before. The phone will ring about 3 minutes before the coffee arrives.

Might depend on the room. We didn't use the coffeemaker. I checked my room photos from our mini-suite and there is definately a coffee maker on the table with 2 cups and a dish with some sugar sized packets. I can't see any sign of actual coffee though. Sorry, this time I'll make sure I take a closeup photo of the coffeemaker :)

I agree, Tim Horton's is the best - no sign of them here in NJ, already seem to have a Dunkin Donuts every other street corner and Krispy Kreme trying to squeeze in between.

The minisuites do not have coffee makers...just a hot pot for boiling water for tea or instant coffee. I use to take the pot up to the garden buffet just above us and fill it up with coffee while everyone was asleep, then bring it down to enjoy the sunrise from our balcony.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow-up on this thread, now that we're back from our cruise. Our AF mini-suite this time did not have a coffee maker, only a Hot pot and packets of instant coffee.

So, there are two possiblities

1) Some AF mini-suites have coffee makers and some have hot pots or

2) NCL took out the coffeemakers after our 5/30/04 cruise and replaced them with hotpots before our 11/18/04 cruise.

Strangely enough, I saw info on the NCL Jewel and one of the highlights mentioned that there was a coffee maker in every room.

Maybe it is a hot pot... or coffee maker... you decide. We didn't use it so I'm not 100% sure. This is a cropped picture of the table/fridge area from our mini-suite.

That picture sure looks like a coffee maker to me.....however if it's not, how much more costly would it had been for NCL to make it a real "coffee maker". Actually it would save them money because people would call room service a lot less. :rolleyes:

We are also Tim Horton's fans- a MUST have. We brought some on our cruise on the grand and we brought a small coffee maker. It was worth it's weight in Gold since the Grand has HORRIBLE coffee.

I am going on the Spirit in 4 weeks- I need to know ASAP if we need to bring a coffee maker.

thanks!

NCL is having a lot of problems with coffee makers on their ships. US Coast Guard, International Maritime Organization, and their insurance company insist that the coffee makers and water boilers all have special fire-proofing mechanisms installed in them. These are very expensive modifications. Unfortunately, the passengers are stealing the machines as fast as they can be replaced.

The European manufacturer of the 220 volt machines has gone out of business, so they are now trying to use 110 volt replacements made in America. The 110 volt machines get too hot, overheat the voltage converters hidden behind your cabin wall, start fires, and blow out all the electrical circuits. Already some of the cabin categories on some NCL ships no longer have the machines. Replacement costs are too high and fire danger too severe.

Hi! Just wanted to give you my vote for room service coffee. You leave a card on your door the night before. THe containers keep the coffee hot all day, so you can put a not to leave it and drink it at your leisure. We also had nice little fridges to keep real half and half cold.

There are several breakfast items to choose from also. THey make a nice "tide me over" until you walk the few minute it takes to get to the buffet or main dining room.

The coffee brand they use is STRONG!!!!!!!! Not quite Starbucks, but close!

ENJOY!!!

Archived