On Board Art Auctions

Prior to going on cruise W826 on the dawn, I knew NOTHING about art and to be quite frank, I had no interest. DH attended the first 2 auctions on his own & by the 3rd I was curious so I joined him. We had a great art auctioneer, David, & his lovely wife Katarina.

A few paintings caught my eye ... our house will be going through a colour transformation during December/January & I could see these paintings on my walls. I loved the paintings by Behrens, but they were a bit pricey for a first time art collector, however, I then saw some Mediterranean scenes by Shari Hatchett Bolmann and I was sold! David made the bidding fun so I was pleased to be the only bidder on the SHB as it was the last one & I could take it off the ship with me. I then bid on another painting, and won, which was a steal & was also lucky enough to win 2 limited edition prints.

My loung/dining area will look great once it's revamped and these paintings & prints are on the walls, plus they'll remind me of the great time I had on the Dawn & where they came from.

When we came home I looked up the artists whose works I bought, how much I could purchase their works either through galleries or on-line and I was pleased that I picked them at a great prices.

Has anyone else purchased at these auctions & have you been please with what you bought???

Cheers,

PAC:)

Like you, I also knew (or in my case "know") nothing about art and had no interest. On our first cruise, although I didn't go to an aution, I fell in love with Michael Godard's stuff. On our second cruise I decided to attend the auction to see what the prices were like. Unfortunately, out of my price range. DH has just started a second job (only every second Saturday......that's why he's now snoring on the lounge......he's in a different room but yes I can hear him:rolleyes: ) but if he keeps it up until our cruise & we have extra spending money I might just indulge:) ;)

We brought a Wyland print/some word starting with s for our bird (she couldn't come on the cruise so it was her present). Its an underwater scene, and some of it reminds me of snorkelling on our cruise. It was the last one, so we could take it off with us. The frame was scratched and dented, but I was working for a picture framing business so that was no problem!!

Its nicely mounted, and the quality of the framing is quite good! Linen mounting isn't cheap!

It was around $500 - not cheap, but not as expensive as others! We brought it at the last auction. Supposably worth 1500, but who knows!

I have seen some articles around saying there have been people feeling ripped off - but that was from the US, and they were more expensive works.

Personally I detested most of the 'prizes'. They all seemed quite 2nd rate... But that was my opinion! I wouldn't have paid for the shipping for any of them!

Enjoy! And if you like something, and you think it would be a good memory, why not!?!

Has anyone else purchased at these auctions & have you been please with what you bought???

Cheers,

PAC:)

Sure have we bought a beautiful abstract framed painting on a P & O cruise and another, an unframed italian coastline look canvas whilst onboard the Rhapsody of the Seas..... very happy with both purchases and thoroughly enjoy the Art Auctions. I didn't think i had any interest in the art world until i went to the first auction.....the lectures done on artists and styles of painting are really entertaining...champagne is great too....:D:D Best holiday souveniers we have ever bought..........cheers shiona

Like you, I also knew (or in my case "know") nothing about art and had no interest. On our first cruise, although I didn't go to an aution, I fell in love with Michael Godard's stuff. On our second cruise I decided to attend the auction to see what the prices were like. Unfortunately, out of my price range. DH has just started a second job (only every second Saturday......that's why he's now snoring on the lounge......he's in a different room but yes I can hear him:rolleyes: ) but if he keeps it up until our cruise & we have extra spending money I might just indulge:) ;)

I too loved Godard's works, they're so unique & there was quite a lot of his paintings on PD this time round, however, they just don't suit our house. That was why we went for the mediterranean paintings and just today we hung one up in the hallway & it looks quite spectacular. Got notification yesterday from DHL that the other is on it's way from Florida so wan't wait to get that one up as well. We actually did very well on the one that's coming ... it was incorrectly tagged on the ship as $300, correct price was $700 (retails for $2,100) but because it was their error, we could get it at the cheaper price. Absolute bargain, plus it's already framed too!!!

Happy bidder,

PAC:D

We brought at Goddard on a cruise on Pacific Sun in 2005, and some paintings of the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth 2 on the 2 nighter earlier in the year, and are happy with all our purchases.

Mum & Dad brought a Goddard at the first Art Auction on the cruise we did with you.

We bought a piece of abstract art on our cruise last year for our wedding anniversary. We paid $500 for it and it is currently insured for $5000 as it is a handpainted seriagraph and an artist proof of a deceased artist. When we took it to an art dealer in Brisbane they did some research for us and were stunned at how little we paid for it. We also managed to source and buy another piece from the same series but we paid $1000 for that one!!

I would receommend finding paintings that you would like and then spending some time on the internet before the auctions and doing some research.

Rach

Archived