Mexican Riviera-Opinions Needed

emen822

So many questions, so many options and I'm so clueless. :confused: We will obviously need to rent a car but I just don't want to be hassled with long drives and possibly getting lost. :eek: I'm going to look at a map of California right now to try to ease my mind but would love some more ideas! TIA!

Hi emen822...

Please stick with me here. Many others will vouch for me that I have been invaluable help in their trip planning on The West Coast Boards right here, as

I do actually take the time to figure out your specific needs, the people in your family, and your time frame.

So to start with, here is my own personal map (that I drew to scale) of the Los Angeles area.

I have highlighted your main attraction spots.

You can print this out to use as a guideline/visual.

2bc7dd340ee3049437364fa0e95554ee.jpg

As you look at this, you have to realize that in Los Angeles we explain travel in minutes, not miles.

This is because even though in one part of town something can be 10 miles away - it can just take 10 minutes to get there (no traffic, the boonies).

Another part of town 10 miles can take 60 minutes or more.

So on this map, consider LAX to Hollywood 45 minutes to 60 minutes.

Hollywood to Disneyland can be 60 minutes on the right day.

(I'm trying to plan your driving in all least traffic times)

If you go on the wrong day or time that same drive can be 2 1/2 hours.

But then Disney to the port should only be about 30 to 45 minutes (again on the low traffic days).

So print this map out, look at it, and I'm going to give you some good non-confusing instructions.

Hang on, you'll see how it will all work.

And that's one thing to consider: what days of the week you're considering. I'm guessing that the Mariner departs on Sundays. If you're driving from Anaheim, where DL is, and you're not afraid of freeways, you may be okay. But just think, you will need about an hour or so to get from Anaheim to San Pedro. Plus take care of returning the rental car (check out the threads of which agencies to use as some aren't close to the pier...and sometimes the ones that are have limited hours on the weekend).

Hollywood is near the center of Los Angeles County while DL is in Orange County. Both are widespread areas.

I haven't been to Disney World, so I can't compare the two parks, but DL is generally considered an all-day activity. Some people who are really into Disney will buy a two-fer deal to do DL one day and the California Adventure the next. I haven't heard of anyone going to both in one day.

CJW - That map is very helpful, thanks. I had no idea the two things we would like to see are in two totally different directions! Told you I was clueless. :p

Anyway, we would probably fly in either Wednesday or Thursday and yes the cruise leaves on a Sunday. Is LAX the best/closest airport to fly into if we plan to go to Hollywood first?

So if we flew in early on Wednesday/Thursday, rented a car and drove around Hollywood...since we just want to sight see, do you think one day is enough? Then maybe Thursday/Friday we could drive down to Disneyland. That is on my wish list, not necessarily anyone else I'm traveling with. ;) I would prefer to be in San Pedro on Saturday night but that's not a deal breaker and I don't want to stay in 3 different hotels over 3 nights. I guess driving to San Pedro on Sunday morning wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But we would have to find a rental agency nearby to drop it off and then get to the pier. Does anyone know if any rental agency has shuttles to the pier? I know that some hotels do that.

I guess maybe my best bet is to print out the links that CJW has posted and look over them with my family. Walk of fame is a definite. I feel like I'm trying to cram so much into so little time. :o

If anyone else has any additional thoughts/ideas/suggestions, my mind is wide open and I would appreciate them. Thanks again!

CJW - That map is very helpful, thanks. I had no idea the two things we would like to see are in two totally different directions! Told you I was clueless.

Great! I knew that would help literally put things in perspective, so glad it helped.

Anyway, we would probably fly in either Wednesday or Thursday and yes the cruise leaves on a Sunday. Is LAX the best/closest airport to fly into if we plan to go to Hollywood first?

If I could lean you in the direction of flying in on Wednesday, it just gives you one more day to get here, get settled, then have all day Thursday for Hollywood.

As you can see on the map, LAX is the most central to everything you want to do. It will have the most flights and flight choices available.

The most rental car places, and only take you about 30 to 40 minutes to drive to on a midweek Wednesday.

It's also only about an hour to get back from the pier at the end of your cruise. So it works out well for all you want to do.

So if we flew in early on Wednesday/Thursday, rented a car and drove around Hollywood...since we just want to sight see, do you think one day is enough?

Considering that this is really important to your two teens, and this is what they're excited about...

To be blunt, no.

It would be like sending them to their favorite cruise port and telling them they only have an couple hours. It would be torture.

If they want to see it, they want to hang out and be able to have the ambiance of the experience - not just point out the window at things as you race by in a car (which is what you'd have to do basically in that time frame).

Then maybe Thursday/Friday we could drive down to Disneyland. That is on my wish list, not necessarily anyone else I'm traveling with. ;)

And that is exactly why I want to make Hollywood, then Disneyland really work for all of you. Again, that would be kind of unfair to everyone else. You can do it, bear with me.

I would prefer to be in San Pedro on Saturday night but that's not a deal breaker and I don't want to stay in 3 different hotels over 3 nights.

I wouldn't either, I was just giving you ALL of the possibilities and options.

So, if you don't NEED to stay in San Pedro Saturday night, I would let it go. Any of the hotels with great views of the ship in the morning are definitely not recommended or great for a family with two teens.

And the Crowne Plaza (although I like it) isn't worth changing all of your plans just to hope for a room where you can see the ship in the morning.

I guess driving to San Pedro on Sunday morning wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But we would have to find a rental agency nearby to drop it off and then get to the pier. Does anyone know if any rental agency has shuttles to the pier? I know that some hotels do that.

This is a much better idea for you! On Sunday morning, it will only be about 30 to 45 minutes. No traffic issues. Pretty easy.

To start, Enterprise has a drop off location right there at the base of the Crown Plaza. And a shuttle to the pier.

You could even just drop 3 people and the luggage at the pier, then one drive across the street to Crown Plaza and take the shuttle back.

This would really be fairly easy.

I guess maybe my best bet is to print out the links that CJW has posted and look over them with my family. Walk of fame is a definite. I feel like I'm trying to cram so much into so little time. :o

And that's exactly what I'm trying to make easy for you. If you just homebase for a day or two in these cool safe Hollywood hotels I'm recommending - you've got lots to do right there at your fingertips for the girls and the family. Then it won't seem like trying to cram so much in so little time, because the key here is that you won't be wasting time and frustration driving.

You can just walk to the sights, the tours, the shopping all in close proximity.

Then, after a day or so, go down to Disneyland and enjoy that.

It will be much less "crammy" and able to see a lot in a non-stressful and fun way.

If anyone else has any additional thoughts/ideas/suggestions, my mind is wide open and I would appreciate them. Thanks again!

Just keep your head here on any conflicting information that you receive.

My job requires me to drive all over the city all the time. Hang out in different locations and sites.

Research local hotels and book them for out of town guests or events.

I have the advantage of being a native Los Angelino, and regularly booking and staying in hotels in the area for my client's events.

I know what teens, and college ages like to do and see.

And please, just so you know, it absolutely drives me crazy when people talk about not staying in Hollywood.

First of all, it's safe, especially the hotels I'm recommending for you.

Trust me, the girls from the TV Show "The Hills" and the other young celebrities are hanging out in really nice, expensive, safe areas.

That's where I'm guiding you.

A lot of other people either have not actually been to Hollywood in a long long time, and especially don't go there for work events like I do every week.

Sure there are some bad parts, but you won't be near there or hanging out there. It's like telling people "Don't go to New York! When I was there 20 years ago, there were some bad areas"! See what I mean?

Perspective.

;)

I have NO knowledge of California and I really appreciate Curts info....fantastic! My comment is in reference to Disneyland. I am a huge WDW enthusiast. I am planning our first trip to Disneyland in advance of our cruise also. If you love WDW you can expect for Disneyland to be about the size of Magic Kingdom (from what I understand). Then there is California Adventure also. Most people recommend 2 days...one for each park to see most everything. 3 days is ideal for a Disney lover. It is much easier to "hop" from one park to the other because they are so close together. There are many reasonably priced hotels right across from DL. I plan to stay there and head for San Pedro the morning of our cruise. Also, depending on the season you may not be able to see the night shows unless you are there on the weekend. I just COULDN'T go on a cruise out of Los Angeles and NOT go to see Disneyland! I can't wait!

We sailed on the Star in April of this year. The sea was pretty rough on the way back...major waves, but the ship took it very well and it was kind of exciting to be honest.

Here is another thought for LA....you can do a Google search for Hollywood tv tickets and take it a show or two. We got Tonight Show tickets and had a ball at the taping. The best part? They are free!

While I was in LA, I got a call from where I work. We make Pringles and were a sponsor of American Idol. I won tickets to go back to the 2 night finale in May.

Very fun!

I had never been to LA and after the two visits, I can understand the hold the city can get on you. I loved every minute of both visits.

And if you rent a car, get a GPS unit. It was invaluable in the LA traffic.

CJW, i have a question for you if...your map says 45 to 60 minutes for LAX to Hollywood, what is approx time for long beach to hollywood, this is where we are flying into it saves us over 200 a ticket, this would be on a friday morning, also do you know anything about the Holiday Inn on the walk of fame? we are traveling with my two year old daughter if this makes a difference on hotel I am asking about. thanks for all your great tips you have helped me a ton so far.

CJW, i have a question for you if...your map says 45 to 60 minutes for LAX to Hollywood, what is approx time for long beach to hollywood, this is where we are flying into it saves us over 200 a ticket, this would be on a friday morning, also do you know anything about the Holiday Inn on the walk of fame? we are traveling with my two year old daughter if this makes a difference on hotel I am asking about. thanks for all your great tips you have helped me a ton so far.

If you are flying into Long Beach (which is actually a nice little airport to fly in and out of, but just very limited on flights so doesn't work for everyone)...

On a Friday plan at least 1 1/2 hours. It's just a bad traffic day.

It will be a fairly easy drive, just slow.

And which Holiday Inn are you asking about? I pretty much know all of the hotels, and I'm not a huge fan or most of the Hollywood hotels.

They're either not great, too expensive, or not in a great location (safety or convenience-wise).

If it's the one on Highland Avenue, it's definitely not a favorite of mine.

Especially with a two year old. It would be good for college students.

It's a bit of a hazardy, unsafe walk to actually get down to the Walk of Fame, due to so much traffic on Highland Avenue.

Will you have a rental car, or are you just walking? I'd like to recommend something that would be better for a family with a two year old.

While I was in LA, I got a call from where I work. We make Pringles and were a sponsor of American Idol. I won tickets to go back to the 2 night finale in May.

Very fun!

You totally lucked out on that one TonyFred! I hope you really enjoyed yourselves!

I had never been to LA and after the two visits, I can understand the hold the city can get on you. I loved every minute of both visits.

And if you rent a car, get a GPS unit. It was invaluable in the LA traffic.

GPS is a good idea, if you can get one.

I have NO knowledge of California and I really appreciate Curts info....fantastic! My comment is in reference to Disneyland. I am a huge WDW enthusiast. I am planning our first trip to Disneyland in advance of our cruise also. If you love WDW you can expect for Disneyland to be about the size of Magic Kingdom (from what I understand). Then there is California Adventure also. Most people recommend 2 days...one for each park to see most everything. 3 days is ideal for a Disney lover. It is much easier to "hop" from one park to the other because they are so close together. There are many reasonably priced hotels right across from DL. I plan to stay there and head for San Pedro the morning of our cruise. Also, depending on the season you may not be able to see the night shows unless you are there on the weekend. I just COULDN'T go on a cruise out of Los Angeles and NOT go to see Disneyland! I can't wait!

Your information is pretty accurate. Disney is much more compact than Disney World - so much easier to see in a day or two.

One is enough for just Disney or California Adventure.

One and a half or two is great to do both.

Three is not necessary, unless that's the main focus of your trip and you are a super hard core Disney fan.;)

As a Disney season pass holder (also for Universal), my personal Disney Hotels in favorite order are:

Disneyland Hotel - you can't get anymore classic than this. See if you can get an inner courtyard view of the lagoons and waterfalls.

If you are on the Downtown Disney side, it can get really noisy at night.

And you are right there at the monorail station to get in and out of the park (lets you off at Nemo, near Matterhorn).

If you really want to park hop for two days, then Californian is great because it's right in the middle of both.

If you want to save some money, but still want to "feel" Disney, then Carousel Inn is the next best thing to being there!

And yes! Going back to emen822...

That is one of the many reasons that I'm suggesting going to Hollywood first (Wednesday, Thursday) and going to Disney last (Friday, Saturday); instead of the other way around.:cool:

Disney usually has a few extra special things no Fridays and Saturdays that they don't during the week.

And Hollywood will be really jammed packed with traffic (in and around) especially on Friday. Better to be there during the week when it's calmer and with less people. You can relax and enjoy that more at your own pace.

Then enjoy Disney on the Friday and/or Saturday when there's a few extra special things going on (and open later).

:)

If you are going to pick between Friday and Saturday for DL, I would vote for Friday. Less crowded, at least during the day. We did that the last time we went -- one reason we left really early so we could beat rush hour traffic on the freeway.

One experience in Hollywood is Farmer's Market (Third at Fairfax). If you plan to get any "California" souvenirs, this is the place. And you can get a yummy lunch there too. Or you can walk up Fairfax to Cantor's Deli. It's not true Glatt Kosher (else it would be closed on Saturday...in fact if you are around Fairfax on Friday night or Saturday, you'll notice a lot of "close" signs as things shut down for Shabbot, but again that's just the Jewish businesses, not the rest of Hollywood).

But I have a few more questions so please bear with me.. :o

Renting a car: If we fly in on Wednesday and stay at the Sportmans Lodge as you suggested and then take that tour bus the next day, do we even need a car? Is there stuff within walking distance of the hotel? Does the hotel offer a shuttle to/from the airport? I don't mind renting a car but heard that some places charge a one-way drop off fee which means I would pay a fee to drop it off in San Pedro and then the same fee if I decide to pick up the car in San Pedro after the cruise and drop it back to LAX.

Obviously we would need a car to take us from Hollywood to Disneyland. I would like to drive there EARLY Friday morning and stay there Friday and Saturday. Again, would we need the car? It seems the Carousel Hotel is across the street from Disney which I would assume means its near California Adventure as well. Am I wrong about that?

Once I have this whole car rental thing set, I should be ok. :D Paying $80 ($40 for each one-way drop off) is just eating me alive!

But I have a few more questions so please bear with me.. :o

No problem at all, I'm here for you...;)

Renting a car: If we fly in on Wednesday and stay at the Sportmans Lodge as you suggested and then take that tour bus the next day, do we even need a car? Is there stuff within walking distance of the hotel? Does the hotel offer a shuttle to/from the airport? I don't mind renting a car but heard that some places charge a one-way drop off fee which means I would pay a fee to drop it off in San Pedro and then the same fee if I decide to pick up the car in San Pedro after the cruise and drop it back to LAX.

The only hotels that offer shuttles to and from hotels are the ones right by LAX.

I personally would just rent the car, and think of the $40 drop off fee as amortized over the 5 days and the family. That's only about $2 a day per person. The convenience alone makes it worth it. It also gives you the option to be on your own schedule.

But, if you decide not to rent a car...

With the Sportman's Lodge and Carousel Inn, it's do-able.

I'll put a plan for that in the next post...

Obviously we would need a car to take us from Hollywood to Disneyland. I would like to drive there EARLY Friday morning and stay there Friday and Saturday. Again, would we need the car? It seems the Carousel Hotel is across the street from Disney which I would assume means its near California Adventure as well. Am I wrong about that?

You are correct in that. And the good thing about the Carousel Inn, is that they will shuttle you there...

Once I have this whole car rental thing set, I should be ok. :D Paying $80 ($40 for each one-way drop off) is just eating me alive!

You could also just take a SuperShuttle at the end back from the Pier to LAX. $17 per person.

Okay, so here is a tentative plan on this trip without a car...

Fly into LAX early Wednesday.

Get a SuperShuttle from LAX to The Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City (Hollywood). It will be $64 for 4 people.

On an early Wednesday it should only take you 30 to 45 minutes (no freeway traffic).

Check in.

Again here is the link to my pictures and review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12760409

Over the next two days, if you see a big bus, or any big semi trucks parked in any of the various parking lots - it means that there is a big musical act staying at the hotel.

Sportsman's Lodge is one of the few nice hotels in the Hollywood area that has parking lots big enough to hold the tour buses.

These will be people who are playing The Universal Amphitheater, The Hollywood Bowl, or The Greek Theater.

At any point right next to The Sportsman's Lodge is Jerry's Famous Deli.

www.jerrysfamousdeli.com

p_03.jpg

Open 24 hours. Huge menu. It's a hangout for young Hollywood and all the various workers from the nearby movie studios. You never know who you could see there.

There is also Carney's which is a lunchtime quick food hangout...

http://www.carneytrain.com/

2795861240079337728iqFeka_th.jpg

There's also Pinz bowling center right near there...

http://www.pinzbowlingcenter.com/

51d66586d74d1f8a571407d54811f8f7.jpg

If you are a fan of either Desperate Housewives or Scrubs, this is the bowling alley they use on those shows for filming.

Then, if that is not enough...

Sportsman's Lodge will give you a free shuttle back and forth to Universal Studios!

Why is this good for you?

Take that free shuttle and head up to Universal City Walk Hollywood.

Dinner. Cool shopping for the teenagers.

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/

8249a185c4c37f312bb57fcb28f0e0d6.jpg

If you want from there, you can hop on the Red Line train and take it one stop to Hollywood and Highland for more food and shopping.

www.hollywoodandhighland.com

870a42d44ed0295b7e6397391ec467d9.jpeg

Of course that is an lot for one day, but I wanted to give you options.

You could save Hollywood and Highland for Thursday as well, and just enjoy the incredible pool at the Sportsman's Lodge. Best hotel pool in LA.

And just to give you some perspective...

e54822a52cf7ea8a38de71f256469248.jpg

hi CJW ok so it is the Holdiay Inn on 1921 Highland ave. it says it opened in may 08. we are looking to do walk of fame, all the touristy things in the area, we will have a car, also part of the group is grandparents and my 18 year old brother plus the two year i mentioned before, we would like a hotel for around 150 a night if possible, i dont have a preference on areas since I know nothing, just want to be able to get around easy. is this do- able?

Thursday...

Get one of the Hollywood Tours from Red Line Tours (absolutely best most knowledgeable Hollywood Tours).

http://www.redlinetours.com/

Check one of the value packages! You will get everything you want.

This one The Hollywood Movie Star Experience is everything you need!

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/hmse_weekdays.php

It includes Sony Studios during the week (when you are there) and it is one of the best real working studios around. Less touristy, more real.

You will be walking around studios and soundstages!

Check that out.

It should take all day.

Here's the tentative itinerary from their information:

Weekday Itinerary (Mon - Fri)

The Hollywood Movie Star Experience is a Partnership between Starline Tours, Red Line Tours & Sony Pictures Studios.

This is the only tour that gives visitors the complete picture of Hollywood: from a look inside the original movie palaces, nightclubs, hotels and Oscar venues, to a tour of one of Hollywood’s most famous studios, to a look at where the stars of today party, shop and live. It is your best chance to see a star!

Proposed Itinerary (all timings below are approximate):

8.00am - 9.15am

Hotel Pick-ups. Drive-in customers may park and pick up bus at Chinese Theatre at 8:45am.

IMPORTANT: After you purchase your tour youu must call Starline Tours at (800) 959-3131 to reserve your seat on the tour coach. This is a requirement regardless of whether you are driving to the start point or if you are being picked up from your hotel.

9.15am - 9.30am

Starline to transfer/load tour buses at Jane’s House (Starline Terminal)

9:30am - 11:15am

Star Homes Tour including Sunset Strip and Rodeo Drive

11:15am - 11:45am

Drop off passengers at Sony Studios on Culver Blvd. for Food Break,

Security Check-in & Rest Break

11:45am - 12:45pm

Walking "highlights tour" of Sony Pictures Studios

8cae1662e08fe4ebe816f63a486f97d4.jpg

12:45pm - 1:15pm

Pick up passengers at Overland exit to Sony Studios & Transport to

Hollywood & Highland

1:15pm - 2:15pm

Time for lunch and shopping at Hollywood & Highland

2:15pm - 3:30pm

Red Line Tours “Historic Hollywood Tour" including:

• Grauman’s Chinese Theatre (where stars' handprints and footprints are immortalized in cement).
  • Disney’s El Capitan (with its fully restored 1926 interior)
  • Egyptian Theatre (the birthplace of the movie premiere)
  • The Prohibition Speakeasy for the Embassy Club where the stars drank.
  • The home of the first Oscar ceremony

3:30pm

Return directly to Hotels (except Woodland Hills returning at 6pm). If visitors wish to stay in Hollywood to shop at Hollywood and Highland, they will have to make their own way back to their hotels.

Hang out more at Hollywood and Highland. You are so close there that you can easily do more shopping on Hollywood Blvd. and around the area.

It is perfectly safe there and very touristy during the day.

45fbdcd44c717f7ef4d8f7789f5fb869.jpg

To get back to your hotel, you all can just hop in a taxi (probably about $10 bucks) or take the Red Line Metro Train to Universal again.

f882f036c0b23aa09374e7c95249d157.jpg

Call The Sportsman's Lodge. They will pick you up from there with their free shuttle.

Friday morning...

Get another SuperShuttle from Sportsmen's Lodge to Carousel Inn.

It should be about $80 for 4 people.

If you get going early enough on Friday, it should take 90 minutes.

Check into Carousel Inn.

11264577510aa0e4e8dc76ab1ca2f8f6.jpg

I like the kid's suite...

f94b77b3efc4f6c43eb70235f6614062.jpg

Take the shuttle to Disney. Get a two day park hopper pass, or get this online before your time there.

Spend one day at Disney, one day at California Adventure or hop between the two...

b35f966545cd1a14236bb74b8f9e6917.jpg

262701d71e6af329cfddb153c842af5c.jpg

Then just take a SuperShuttle from Carousel Inn to the port in the morning.

c4504f69cae91604e183fb2d2ed71906.jpg

Take another back to LAX at the end.

So that's how you can do this with no car.

Calculate the costs, and see if the extra drop off fees make it more feasible to rent a car.

You might find that it is actually a better cost value in the long run.

Let me know if you need anymore help, or have any more questions.

Enjoy the planning!

hi CJW ok so it is the Holdiay Inn on 1921 Highland ave. it says it opened in may 08. we are looking to do walk of fame, all the touristy things in the area, we will have a car, also part of the group is grandparents and my 18 year old brother plus the two year i mentioned before, we would like a hotel for around 150 a night if possible, i dont have a preference on areas since I know nothing, just want to be able to get around easy. is this do- able?

Sorry taylorsmom!

I missed your question here in the midst of all the other postings...

Holiday Inn at 1921 Highland is okay, but definitely not my favorite for your situation.

It most definitely did not open in May 08 (it's old). It's amongst the "creakiest" of Holiday Inns.

It's also on a REALLY busy area of Highland with a lot of traffic 24 hours a day, and while it can be "cool" for college ages, and backpacking Europeans - it would most definitely not be my first choice for a 2 year old, grandparents and an 18 year old (he'd probably be the only one okay with it).

I'll keep checking back here with you, but there are many many other better options for your group.

I'd definitely check into Sportsmen's Lodge as I've been recommending here (make sure to check their 10%, 20%, and 30% discount rates when checking online).

Especially if you have a car, it's about 5 minutes to the main part of Hollywood.

I would also check into Best Western Sunset Plaza.

Really nice hotel, great and safe for all the ages, and in a beautiful safe part of Hollywood 24 hours a day.

See if either of those work for you and your group budget.

If not, then I'll look into areas a little further, but in your budget and good safe and nice areas for the entire family group.

If you could give me a time of year (month) and the days of the week approximately, that can help me give you the best places for your group and budget.

Hopefully you will check back, and I'll keep helping.

:)

CJW First let me say thanks for all the work you put into your boards, I've been lurking around reading them. We will be coming to L.A July 09 for a cruise then 4 days post cruise. I have 2 boys ages 12 and 14. I looked into the Bestwestern and Sportsman Lodge Unfortunately those hotels are alittle out of my price range I need about $100.00 or so. We will have a car and would love to hang around Hollywood and Universal. If you have any ideas of hotels in our price range please let me know also a pool is a must for the boys. Thanks again I will be using your ideas for things to see. Elise

CJW - the links are so helpful. I'm a day or two away from making my final decision about this trip. Once I make that decision, I'll be back here in full force with all my questions and hopefully you can help me some more. :D

They have been watching the Hills and paying serious attention to their hangouts. My girls are writing down the places they want to see and seem like amateur stalkers. :eek: :D

Archived