Does your TA charge a service fee, and if so how much?

flagger

[quote name='Sky Sweet']Hi ccletzgo :)

Do you think it is a travel agent's job to let passengers know about inoculations they will need for the cruise they have booked?

We booked our Baltic Cruise to Russia over a year in advance through a TA.

When we received our shore excursion guide from Celebrity, just a month before our cruise, it mentioned that the CDC has been recommending Diphtheria shots for trips to Russia for the past fifteen years. It is a good thing I decided to read that booklet the day we received it or I would have had a serious problem. When I asked my doctor about it, he said I should definitely get it and it needed to be done at least a few weeks in advance to be effective.

I then decided to let our TA know so that she could advise her other customers when they book a cruise to Russia. To my surprise, she said it is not her responsibility to advise people about things of this nature.[/quote]

Yes, I absolutely think it is a TA's job to advise suggested inoculations for each country. It goes along with passports etc. Anything to do with leaving one country to visit another should be advised.;)

My prior Ta did not know that there was balcony discounts for platinium members & up. I had to tell her, & this is a major travel agency(national).

Sky Sweet I also found out through the cdc website & then called the N.Y.State board of health & they confirmed that we needed diptheria shots for Russia. I was also advised that once we were off the ship try not to eat any food that was not cooked this was in 2001. I immediately called the TA & reported this hopefully this was communicated to passengers for future trips to Russia. The one good thing the immunization from getting the diptheria shots are suppose to last for 10 years.

As a rule whenever I am leaving the US I go on the cdc website to check about suggested shots & what foods to advoid in that country.

[quote name='flagger']
Do you change your own oil? Are you in the transaction business or consulting business?

If it is the latter, why not charge like a consultant?[/quote]

My personal circumstances are a bit different as I work exclusively in a resort development--so I am only 'consulting' on property within our community. But I've still never heard of it! I have a lot of great clients from GA--I am going to ask one couple about this next time I see them--they'll be here next week to check up on their 4000 sq. ft. 'cabin'!

Cathy

[quote name='richsea']It is not uncommon feor a TA that caters to the wealthy to charge a fee or their services. Of course they are not booking $3000 trips.[/quote]
So then a service charge would be commiserate with the cost of the cruise. If you using a TA, you are still engaging the services of a professional. If not, you would be booking it yourself which many on CC do. Again the changing your own oil analogy fits.

You can do it yourself for less, but you pay someone to do the dirty work.

• 2 weeks later...
I pay my TA $75 a booking and he is worth his weight in gold.

When we first met, I was already booked on a cruise with my group having used a different TA. I gave him my card anyway and we kept in touch. He knew when we were taking the cruise. He called me the week of the cruise to wish me well and to let me know that our itinerary had been changed due to a tropical storm. He even offered up suggestions for excursions in the new ports. I was able to let our group know. Never once did we hear from the group TA who was even on this cruise!

He called when I was back to ask about the trip. Well guess who my group booked with for the next cruise?

He has come to my house to discuss cruise options, hand delivered my documents and printed off luggage tags so I don't have to wait for a porter to provide them. As a surprise for our last group, he had bound photo albums made for every stateroom as a memory of our cruise. I will gladly pay his service fee as I find value in what he has to offer and if he charged more, I would gladly pay that too. One of our group got a "where have you been?" postcard in the mail from that former TA a few weeks back...into the circular file it went.

[quote name='flagger']It happens here in NW GA. It was happening eight years ago in 1999. Many realtors unbundle the commission and ask for and receive a payment to come open a house for a showing or to work with a home stager or drive around their clients.

I bet if you said two years ago that people would just stop flying if their airlines started charging for checking bags but that has not exactly happened as revenue has been increasing for airlines and some will actually see a profit.

Not everyone will pay it, but some will.

Are you performing a service or providing one? There is a big difference. It's not what you charge it is what you do.

Do you change your own oil? Are you in the transaction business or consulting business?

If it is the latter, why not charge like a consultant?[/quote]

I never heard of a realtor charging fees, outside their normal commission, so I decided to ask a few of my friends who are very active agents to see if the policy has changed.

They all told me that they can spend months showing houses to a perspective buyer and will get zero compensation if that person doesn't buy a house from them. The only compensation they receive is their share of the commission when the sale of a house closes.

It appears that a realtor charging fees for what they are expected to do is unique to where you live.

[quote name='dutchess43']I use a Ta from time to time it is a major travel agency the day I get charged it would be bye bye. This travel agency recieves 16% commission from my booking's from X & RCI. This is a nice chuck of change with that commision no one should be charging additional monies. I tried to book on my own through the cruiseline unless she can give me a better deal.[/quote]

I don't agree with your reference to a hefty amount of commission....for ex

Cruise rate 1500 TA gets commission on this amt only
port charges 245
taxes and fees 85
fuel 70

Total 1900

TA's comm $240.00 now out of that the agent is either giving a % to their agency, or if they work at home they are paying overhead expenses etc. and a fee to their agency....I don't consider this hefty at all.

Archived